Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM

265 posts, read 808,735 times

Advertisements

The New Mexico History Museum is asking for help identifying this photo taken in Albuquerque in 1915. I'll attach it to this post (if I can), or you can see it on the NHM Facebook page.

Here's their request:
Instead of telling you about a historic church this week, we'd like you to tell us about this one, identified in our records only as "Catholic Church, Albuquerque, 1915." It looks similar to Nativity at 4th and Alameda, but the steeples on this one seem more ornate. Our Facebook community has helped us fill in other gaps, so weigh in! Palace of the Governors Photo Archives LS.0023.

I know we have some very knowledgeable ABQ history buffs on this board, so I thought I'd ask here!
Attached Thumbnails
ABQ Historical Photo ID? Catholic Church 1915-abqchurch1915.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Immaculate Conception School & Church, Albuquerque, New Mexico, PU 1915?

Click for picture: http://www.webstore.com/cache/cache_...112_001jpg.gif

Postcard From this page: Immaculate Conception School & Church, Albuquerque, New Mexico, PU 1915 - Webstore item#6568660

-------
Lookee here!
http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm4/item_vi...ISOBOX=1&REC=2
-------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/windryder/6683354813/
-------

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-03-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,395 times
Poncho for the win!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
In this circa 1950 aerial photo of Downtown Albuquerque you can see the old Immaculate Conception church and school building in the upper right-hand corner. The new building was built in the early '60s, I believe, so the old one was probably demolished sometime in the late '50s.

P-330 Air View Albuquerque, New Mexico c.1950 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
Angry St. Mary Grade School Corner of 6th St and Tijeras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
In this circa 1950 aerial photo of Downtown Albuquerque you can see the old Immaculate Conception church and school building in the upper right-hand corner. The new building was built in the early '60s, I believe, so the old one was probably demolished sometime in the late '50s.

P-330 Air View Albuquerque, New Mexico c.1950 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The grade school building at Sixth and Tijeras was constructed beginning in 1946. The area is all sand so many,many wooden pilings were driven to support the building. I watched this construction while I was a fifth and sixth grader in the old sandstone grade school. A Mrs Caldwell was my teacher for both 1945/ 1946 and 1946/47.. Our classroom was in the basement of the old school. It was next to the team's locker room and smelled like one. The old school building did not have indoor plumbing. Boys' and girls" restrooms were in a brick structure behind the old school building. Deplorable would not begin to describe the condition of those restrooms.Conditions like that would not be allowed to exist today for one day. They had a lot of interest in the final destination of our souls but didn't seem to care about our earthly material needs. We moved into the new building in the fall of 1947. I believe the old grade school was demolished in the summer of 1947. My seventh grade class was in the basement in the south east corner. We could exit the building by outside stairwell onto Sixth St. There was a very nice cafeteria in the basement. The nice restrooms were the best feature as far as I was concerned. My eighth grade class was in the northeast corner of the new building on the second floor overlooking Tijeras. Meanest Sister of Charity I had had since 1942. For my freshman year, my homeroom was in the southwest classroom on the second floor.Another not so charitable Sister of Charity. Reminded my of a gorilla. The high school on Seventh Street also did not have indoor plumbing. Science classrooms(biology,physics and chemistry) were in a separate building immediately behind the church. Being the oldest son, my parents insisted that I attend Saint Mary High, while I wanted to attend the new Highland High on the east mesa. My next oldest brother refused to attend Saint Mary and enrolled himself at Highland. He knew what he was doing. The other brothers all attended Pius X on Louisiana NE.They missed the Saint Mary experience and didn't miss a thing. Readers who attended Saint Mary 1942/1954 are invited to refute anything I have said.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosteen Hoskie Begay View Post
The grade school building at Sixth and Tijeras was constructed beginning in 1946. The area is all sand so many,many wooden pilings were driven to support the building. I watched this construction while I was a fifth and sixth grader in the old sandstone grade school. A Mrs Caldwell was my teacher for both 1945/ 1946 and 1946/47.. Our classroom was in the basement of the old school. It was next to the team's locker room and smelled like one. The old school building did not have indoor plumbing. Boys' and girls" restrooms were in a brick structure behind the old school building. Deplorable would not begin to describe the condition of those restrooms.Conditions like that would not be allowed to exist today for one day. They had a lot of interest in the final destination of our souls but didn't seem to care about our earthly material needs. We moved into the new building in the fall of 1947. I believe the old grade school was demolished in the summer of 1947. My seventh grade class was in the basement in the south east corner. We could exit the building by outside stairwell onto Sixth St. There was a very nice cafeteria in the basement. The nice restrooms were the best feature as far as I was concerned. My eighth grade class was in the northeast corner of the new building on the second floor overlooking Tijeras. Meanest Sister of Charity I had had since 1942. For my freshman year, my homeroom was in the southwest classroom on the second floor.Another not so charitable Sister of Charity. Reminded my of a gorilla. The high school on Seventh Street also did not have indoor plumbing. Science classrooms(biology,physics and chemistry) were in a separate building immediately behind the church. Being the oldest son, my parents insisted that I attend Saint Mary High, while I wanted to attend the new Highland High on the east mesa. My next oldest brother refused to attend Saint Mary and enrolled himself at Highland. He knew what he was doing. The other brothers all attended Pius X on Louisiana NE.They missed the Saint Mary experience and didn't miss a thing. Readers who attended Saint Mary 1942/1954 are invited to refute anything I have said.
I am making a correction. The new grade school at Sixth and Tijeras was used for the first time for the fall term in 1948, not 1947. Also about that time, the parish acquired the vacant site across the street along seventh street for a playground. I believe there was a grocery store on the northwest corner of Sixth and Tijeras as well as the Champion grocery at Seventh and Tijeras. About 1950, a snack place called The Knotty Nook was opened across the street from the church. All the high school big-shots hung out there. I was never in the place. Didn't miss a thing.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,286 times
Default Immaculate Conception Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/windryder/6682728563/"]P-330 Air View Albuquerque, New Mexico c.1950 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/URL]
[url]https://iccabq.org/parish-life/about[/url]

Old 01-15-2018, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,286 times
Default Immaculate Conception Church

Here's a link to their website:

[url]https://iccabq.org/parish-life/about[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque