Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 AM

13 posts, read 90,975 times

Advertisements

just curious.....you pay for electric or gas and garbage? I pay electric and a flat rate for water (it's about to go to $20 a month). My electric bills were about $29 - $35 a month through the winter and into spring. They have been about $75 during the summer due to the fact that it's bee pretty warm.

Is the work-out room very large? The work out room is pretty decent in size. It's not huge, but it has a treadmill, elliptical, free weights and a tv. There are also two pools - one indoor and one outdoor.

Do you have washer and dryer in the apartment? Yep - there's a full size washer and dryer in every unit. They are also updating every apartment and when I moved in last year, I got brand new appliances and a brand new w/d.

The Spring Park do look nice and seem to be in the area that he would like. Do you know if i would have to make an appointment to view this, or could we just drop by? You can just walk in and take a look.

I have really loved living there. It's quiet, very well kept and in a perfect location. I have also never at any point felt unsafe.

Good luck! I think it's great you're helping him out. I think moving to a new city can be overwhelming and I bet he appreciates your help (even if he doesn't say it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 PM

36 posts, read 120,421 times
I second the view that Rio Rancho, or the West Side for that matter, isn't the best place to live for a young person living alone - if you like to drive everywhere and have the money to do so then maybe it's not too bad, but I live in Nob Hill and like to be able to walk to a lot of places like grocery stores, restaurants etc.

Slightly off-topic perhaps, but if he doesn't know anyone in the area, I know quite a few people who moved to Abq alone and enrolled as a non-degree-seeking student at UNM to meet some new people and get involved with the local community. Your son might have a great team of colleagues here so that might not be much of an issue though.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 32,672 times
Hi again....can anyone tell me what the Lookout apts are like? They seem to be very nice looking on their web page and are fairly reasonably priced. The lady I talked to did not seem too friendly but, oh well. Aside from her cool demeanor the apartments looked worth while.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 PM

150 posts, read 792,067 times
Default Albuquerque, Nm Apartment Ratings

Just check out this website "Mom!"

It will list over 130 apartments in the city, and "ratings" from people who either live there presently, or have lived there.

Albuquerque Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Albuquerque Renters at ApartmentRatings.com

I've perused a couple pages, and being familiar with some, I'd say just drop anything with a rating under 2.50! 5.0 is "perfect." Not too many of those...anywhere! :-)

If your son is working west of I-25, he's probably going to be in the industrial areas...North of Paseo del Norte @ I-25.

Check out apartments along Montgomery Blvd. (but not "close to" I-25!) and northward. The farther you go up into the "far" Northeast Heights, the newer the apartments generally. You'll see "markers" on this web page, showing the highest rated 15 apartments, and you can see for yourself that probably 9 are in the far, Northeast Heights. Nice residential areas around them too, and convenient supermarkets, Wal-Mart, Target, strip-malls, etc. Also, lots of restaurants, and fast food places.

With the ratings pages, you can print that out, and then check out apartments in person. Always the best way. Or, your son could come down to scope them out, before moving. Always a good plan to know "where" you're going before you leave. :-) I hope this helps.

There are many smaller complexes around that are not listed in either the internet apartment guides, nor the printed variety you see in every super market's free periodicals stands. I live in such a place. Only 24 apartments, all single, and the owners are very strict about the "qualifications" as to who moves in here. I pay for electricity and gas, but the water and garbage are free. No pools, gyms, or other frills, which a 21 year old would probably want. The rent will vary pretty much vis-a-vis the "frills" you have to pay for at each complex, and the "neighborhood."

I didn't look at their ratings, but check out the apartments around Eubank & Juan Tabo (Mountain Run is one place), and any in the 10000-12000 blocks of Montgomery NE. Pretty nice areas.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 52,401 times
Tierra Antigua in the NE is a nice part of town. The rent starts at the top of the range you mentioned but they have garages. What ever you do, you should do a short term lease while he gets to know the area.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 PM

13 posts, read 90,975 times
One last thing to consider - roommates.com. I was new here last spring and found a great roommate and met a bunch of people through her. Since your son is young, this might be a good way to meet some new people.

Just a thought.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 AM

Thanks so much everyone for all the helpful tips. I have narrowed down to a few apartments to look at the week after next on our trip to New Mexico. His dad and I and one year old sister will be heading down on the 7th for a 3-day drive......should be very memorable and I will be bringing some VERY good earplugs, as one little girl doesn't travel well even on 5 minute trips!! Some apartments have such weak reviews, but look so nice....you never know. Garaged parking would be nice...haven't found too many apartments with that feature. Thank you photojournalist, cactusmoonband and im4fsu....your tips are all great!!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM

150 posts, read 792,067 times
Hi again:

I just wanted to throw in the Candlewood Apartments on Candelaria, between Juan Tabo & Tramway. They have only about 60 apartments, so not a megaplex...washer dryer hookups at least (and a laundry room I think), but they all (1 & 2 bedrooms) have fireplaces! So neat on our cold winter nights.

I do not live there, but it's just around the corner from me. It was #1 of all the apartments I looked at (rating by me)...but it had a waiting list, and I couldn't "wait." ;-) Worth taking a look at Mom.

P.S. I went to Portland from here, and once you join the interstates, you can make very good time. You'll also (I'm presuming) come through Moab, UT so you can see the beauty of both Arches & Canyonlands National Monuments hopefully. Have a great, and safe trip! You do have a portable DVD player with 100 hours of cartoons for the little one don't you? Hope so...beats ear plugs for Mom!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 AM

30 posts, read 121,202 times
He should get a filter pitcher for the fridge or the tap-mount kind, which we have used the whole time we have lived here. Tap water here tastes terrible and may have an odor (sulfur), clouds, and/or "fizz" depending on where in the city you live. I say be safe and filter before you drink.

I've heard the apartments at The Enclave are very nice, but if he's going to work be working in the SE, that's a bit of a trek on the interstate, which does clog up on the morning and afternoon commutes. I would recommend he try to live close to where he works. Lots to do around the university area - good dining, small chain grocery store, natural food co-op, unique shopping, movie theater is downtown with 14 screens, Popejoy Hall at UNM for music/theater events.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Thank you so much for all the wonderful tips. Is the University near the Balloon Park area? Or is the drive very far? I have one more "motherly" concern. I have read about flash flooding in your area. Should that be a great concern? Yes, I will be bringing the 8 yr old brother's dvd player for the road......and still the earplugs as well!! Leaving on Friday and still not quite sure on the right apartment. We will just go and wing it. Yes, also to driving through Moab, actually making that a night's stop. So, can't wait to see some wonderful country. Planning on making it down to Albuquerque in 3 days and when we arrive should I be concerned about a hotel and the area with all of my son's stuff in a locked utility trailer? Do they have gated hotels as well? I will also check out the Candlewood apts. Thanks again for all the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque