Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I agree about the sun being more intense at higher altitudes, but Alamo is only about 4350 feet, which isn't really high. The main point I want to make is that the shade feels so much better where the humidity is lower, and if you sweat...er, I mean perspire, it does so much more good. All it does here is make you wet (pardon the expression). I feel like I'm drowning in a hot aquarium. The low this morning here was 81.0 F on my thermometer. I can hardly wait for October.
You and me both, Catman........

And....I do agree and understand about the smothering humidity. Granted, Alamo's elevation isn't that high, but compared to most of Texas (including where you are, with a relatively low elevation of 5-600 ft)....you WILL notice it probably even more than I do.

I came from an elevation of almost 3,000 ft, and it sometimes feels hotter here at times than it did in Midland. When you have pretty much the same temperatures in both places, the elevation is going to make a greater difference, I think.

At least it does to me, LOL!!

Come on OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, DECEMBER.....quick!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,203 times
Well we got a humidity guage to check on the humidity inside of the house when the swamp cooler is running. Ugggggg, it's an awful 70 to 85% humidity inside the house and now that the outdoor afternoon temps are rising up to about 110, the indoors is about 82 to 85° and with that awful humidity too.

So, it's now time that we had to turn off the swamp and turn on the A.C unit unfortunately since it's so expensive for electricity where we live and it needs to run about 1/3rd of the day just to keep the house down to 78°f.

I'm so looking forward to moving out of here and back into the big city and getting back on the Los Angeles DWP since the last time we lived in their district, our electricity bills were about $45.00/month, compared to SCE's $450.00 a month during the summer months here in the desert.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Where are you living now, Kuplo?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM

28 posts, read 80,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I am in Albuquerque where normal summer highs range where I am in the town between 90 degrees and 104 degrees. Some days only in the 80s. Nights cool off, but usually not highly significantly (unless rain / monsoon season) until after midnight.

Not the opressive heat of Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, etc., but then again, I lived most of my life in Milwaukee, WI where it is rare to get over 90. So to me, the heat seems quite warm here in the summer.

And...this coming from a single-income family...I still would prefer an AC to a swamp cooler.

My house has a swamp, and overall it works OK. However, this June, we've been consistently in the high 90s / low 100s, and it only cools my house about 20 degrees more than the outside. Thus, we have to ensure all windows are covered (to block sunlight), even our french doors (to block the sun).

However, most of June has been ultra arid - very low humidities - so it has worked OK.

Yet, today (4th o' July) we had a more monsoon-like humidity / dew point, and thus even though it was only in the mid-90s and not as warm as other days, the house was far warmer...the swamp just couldn't fight off the humidity.

That is probably my 2nd biggest beef with the swamps - while Albuquerque (and these other cities) are part of a desert and thus can justify using swamps, let's not forget that 2.5 (most of July, August, and early September) of the five summer months here (May thru September) are part of the monsoon season. Thus, humidities commonly get into the 30s at least, and even though the drier parts - mid-May through early July - are usually physically hotter, the swamps falter in July and August and thus make indoor areas relatively warm.

I am weird. I LOVE being outdoors in 90 - 110 degree desert heat. But indoors, trying to concentrate or relax, etc., I want it pleasant and cool. I HATE being warm indoors. Tough to sleep, etc.

My first biggest beef with swamps is the maintenance. I am not a fixer-up type guy I was born and raised in Milwaukee where swamps didn't exist. Thus, it is a major pain in my butt to deal with the maintenance on the swamp. Guys like _yb I am guessing are longtime to this area and, _yb, not to speak for you, but I bet you are a handy sort anyway. For guys like that, yeah, hauling up on the roof a few times a year to deal with the swamp is no big deal / no huge effort. To a non-handy guy like me that isn't used to swamps, it is a major pain in the rear end to try to replace a motor, to winterize, etc. I think the estimated trips to a home supply store per swamp start up / shut down is 3 (this is the joke I always hear) and to guys like me, it isn't fun...it is a MAJOR pain in the backside.

Plus, frankly, while the swamp is overall pretty effective, and Albuquerque is no where near as hot as Phoenix, Vegas, etc., it gets darn hot enough enough times in the summer to make me yearn for some brilliant, pleasant, 70 degree refrigerated air. When I get home from a drive home from work in 99 or 101 degree temps and stumble out of my car, I would be much happier and content getting into AC.

Having said all of that, admittedly, swamps are nice on the wallet book (although sometimes when I factor in the maintenance, I am not sure they are all that more cost-effective). Yet, as a monthly bill, swamps are sure alot more pleasant than refrigerated air.

I guess if I lived in cooler spots like Santa Fe or Denver, I would be more than fine with a swamp. But starting down that hill from SF to Albuquerque, and then starting and Albuquerque and down and/or west to El Paso, Las Cruces, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, etc., I would greatly prefer AC.
You really painted a good picture of what i wanted to know. Thank you soooo much for the info.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 22,208 times
If you have allergies, you won't want a swamp cooler as you have to crack a window to create air flow for it so guess where all the allergens are "flowing" through. Also, think about your home's security, all a potential burglar has to do is see what you have up there on your roof and if it's a swamp cooler he/she knows you have a window cracked open somewhere... In addition, elderly folks will need to pay for someone to service it as it requires getting on your roof both to get it ready for summer and close it down (cover it etc...) for winter. Also, we lived in New Mexico for many years and since the weather is changing, the swamp cooler was totally ineffective when the weather got a little humid (and we had the largest most efficient model you could buy for a home. Also, many times certain wings of the house never got as cool as others, so we had to put a second small one. We've had both systems and I recommend A/C hands down.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenop View Post
If you have allergies, you won't want a swamp cooler as you have to crack a window to create air flow for it so guess where all the allergens are "flowing" through.
Swamp cooler creates positive pressure; no allergens will be flowing through the open windows because the air inside is getting pushed out.. through the pads may be another matter.

Quote:
Also, think about your home's security, all a potential burglar has to do is see what you have up there on your roof and if it's a swamp cooler he/she knows you have a window cracked open somewhere...
Ridiculous; many houses have screens at a minimum, and bars in addition. Also, if the swamp is on, odds are you're home and breaking in is probably not the burglar's first choice. There's also been no mention of the added risk of having your 2 ton ground mounted A/C unit (or the big thick copper wiring associated therewith) stolen.

Quote:
In addition, elderly folks will need to pay for someone to service it as it requires getting on your roof both to get it ready for summer and close it down (cover it etc...) for winter.
Only with roof-mounted units, and so what? The cost of a handyman to service a swamp cooler is about the additional electrical cost of running refrigerated air for two months.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenop View Post
If you have allergies, you won't want a swamp cooler as you have to crack a window to create air flow for it so guess where all the allergens are "flowing" through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Swamp cooler creates positive pressure; no allergens will be flowing through the open windows because the air inside is getting pushed out.. through the pads may be another matter.
Fact, allergens will be flowing through the open windows because the swamp cooler draws a lot of air (with the allergens) from the outside and passes it through the house where it exits through whatever openings are available. Some of the allergens may get trapped by the pads, some may stay in the water inside the swamp cooler, but most come into the house.

So in other words if you have allergies, seriously consider refrigerated air with possible an electrostatic filter.

Those swamp pads are not filters. Go to a store that sells them and look at them. Yes, they would prevent ping-pong balls from coming through...

We had our current house converted from Swamp Cooler to Refrigerated Air almost three years ago. We have very little dust in the house (I am a house husband). We don't have those little spiders crawling in. And I love my refrigerated air, and I will continue to suck up more electricity cause I am old and tired of trying to conserve...

Rich

Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
My first three summers in ABQ were without any kind of cooling except a floor fan and an open window. I didn't mind so much, it wasn't as bad as summers back east without AC. Then I moved and found out about swamp coolers. It felt like a real luxury, I didn't use it much. Eventually I upgraded to a high-efficiency swamp cooler when the first one needed replacing. Even on the "low" setting I think it cools too much. My house can't handle refrigerated air (so we're told) without a major electrical upgrade and lowering the ceilings to accommodate added duct work. Not gonna happen. The swamp cooler is more than adequate for my needs, although I dislike how it pulls cigarette smoke in from neighbors' yards. Finally the worst smoking offender moved away last fall.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Swamp cooler creates positive pressure;
no allergens will be flowing through the open
windows because the air inside is getting pushed out ...
... through the pads may be another matter.
Fact, allergens will be flowing through the open windows ...
If you mean allergens will be flowing from the outlet of the evap coolers -
- through the house - and out the windows, then yes.

Zoidberg is saying that allergens ( and cig smoke ) won't be
blowing in the windows because that's physically impossible
( except when the wind is blowing hard on one side of the house ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
Those swamp pads are not filters.
I thought about that a bit.

I don't think there is any reason that you couldn't put an air filter that could
catch allergens upstream from the pads. The fact that it isn't done is irrelevant.
If allergens were a real issue and a person really wanted a swamp cooler
( for reasons I have mentioned in earlier posts ), it could be done.

The filters would have to be taken in when it rained or protected somehow.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
If you mean allergens will be flowing from the outlet of the evap coolers -
- through the house - and out the windows, then yes.

Zoidberg is saying that allergens ( and cig smoke ) won't be
blowing in the windows because that's physically impossible
( except when the wind is blowing hard on one side of the house ).

I thought about that a bit.

I don't think there is any reason that you couldn't put an air filter that could
catch allergens upstream from the pads. The fact that it isn't done is irrelevant.
If allergens were a real issue and a person really wanted a swamp cooler
( for reasons I have mentioned in earlier posts ), it could be done.

The filters would have to be taken in when it rained or protected somehow.

Both systems can cause problems for some people... Refrigerated Air (in today’s well insulated and sealed houses) quite often suffers from a lack in fresh outside make-up air. This leads to a buildup of pollution (dust/pollen/CO2/smoke - from cooking/smoking).

Evap Coolers are 100% outside air, but draw in pollen/smoke/smog. Not all this is circulated thru the house and out an open window since some partials are heavier than the air (they tend to settle on surfaces/fan blades/etc). If someone is smoking a nasty cigarette beside your swamp cooler, that smell will be in your house- open window or not.

You can install an air filter in the main duct between the swamp cooler and the air registers.

A lot of good info in ASHRAE Standard 62.2-2003, including the number of fresh air changes per hour (depending on the size of the house and the # of bedrooms).

Last edited by N8!; 03-22-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque