Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Once I decided to walk from D.C. to New York instead of taking the train. I had a lot of free time. :-)
ABQConvict
Bet you still beat Amtrak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:14 AM

13 posts, read 39,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
If we buy a house with a swamp cooler:

1. If we want a/c can a swamp cooler be converted or does it have to be taken out and replaced with central air?

2. Would we do just a well by keeping the swamp cooler and putting an a/c unit in our bedroom?
Okay, I'm a professional on this question. I moved to Belen, NM from Miami. Miami is hotter than hell. Ran refrigerated air 24/7 for the low low price of $300 a month for 1 bedroom apt.

Moved to Belen, NM.. run swamp cooler 24/7 in the summer for $30 a month.

I am not a nice person when hot, and I sometimes have to turn OFF the cooler in the summer for a few hours as it gets so cold.

Here is the trick for swamp coolers according to me:

-Been in friend's house w/ swamp cooler located in a wall. They have the size "recommended" for their size house and it's hot as hell in there all the time.

-My house- Cooler sits on top of house... no duct work as house is small... the landlord bought a size LARGER than recommended for this little house and it ROCKS!!!!

Make sure your cooler is a size larger than what you need and you've got it made. Also, sits on top of house and either has duct work for a larger home or you can have two coolers that sit on the roof at each end of the house w/o duct work.

Now, if you MUST have it freezing to be comfy in your bedroom. Shut your bedroom door and add a window unit small air conditioner.

That solves your problem and you'll save a LOT of money.

I LOVE Swamp Coolers!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People think I'm crazy because I have not turned on my swamp cooler yet. In fact, I am attempting to go the whole summer without it. Of course it needs an overhaul, so that helps (if it would work at the flip of a switch I would've turned it on weeks ago) but so far I'm surviving with only fans to move air from outside to inside when the outside temp is lower than inside.

Anyone else tough (crazy) enough to survive an Albuquerque summer without A/C?

ABQConvict
nope, not many:: We used to turn it on about mid may and keep it on until at least Labor day. We didn't use it at night as a rule.

good for you,

as for proving it can be done, our ancesters did all their canning without turning on air, using blenders or food processors and didn't use the dish washer to sterilize the jars either, but I certainly do...
Nita

Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM

75 posts, read 199,724 times
A swamp cooler willd efinitely be cheaper on your wallet compared to a central A/C. You can get by with just installing a room a/c.

If you have a two-story or multi-level, though, it's kind of irritating. Our house here in UT has a swamp cooler and the only place it cools is the top floor, the main level is still warm.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
Thumbs up Swamp Coolers/Window AC/Portable AC vs. Central Air Conditioners

You would have to install central air conditioning into your home, which is very expensive. Swamp coolers (also known as evaporative coolers), window air conditioners, and portable air conditioners all are more energy efficient and cost efficient, compared to central air conditioning. Depending on your needs and deciding how much money you are willing to spend to stay cool this summer, will help with your decision on keeping the swamp cooler or getting a different type of air conditioner.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINAYPIE View Post
A swamp cooler ... If you have a two-story or multi-level, though, it's kind of irritating. .... only place it cools is the top floor, the main level is still warm.
It's all in how you duct the air flow.

Not everyone with a two-story dwelling has your problem.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM

167 posts, read 598,388 times
How cool should the swamp make the house? On 100 degree days, mine is only cooling the house to 84.5...... It appears to be working fine, the pads are wet and we put in a new motor, pump etc... It doesnt seem to be working that well. What could be keeping it from working better? What should I check?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM

28 posts, read 62,984 times
As you probably know, the a/c shines on humid days. Most of the time, the evaporative cooler will get you thru with relative comfort.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
How cool should the swamp make the house? On 100 degree days, mine is only cooling the house to 84.5...... It appears to be working fine, the pads are wet and we put in a new motor, pump etc... It doesnt seem to be working that well. What could be keeping it from working better? What should I check?
Generally 15 to 20 degrees max. But the outside temperature and the humidity are what basically affects the temperature drop. Last summer was bad because it appears to have had a higher humidity. 90 degrees with 10 percent humidy use to give me about 75 degree's of cool indoor temperatures with my swamp cooler fan set on low...

The past week has been pretty humid, so what you are getting may be all.

1. Are you sure you have enough windows open? If not, that will slow your airflow down. Take a square of toilet paper, if it is held to the screen of an open window you don't have good air flow.

2. I found over the years that thinner pads were working better than thicker pads.

3. I use to change my pads every other year.

4. Make sure your pads are seated in the frame.

5. I use to drain the water out of my cooler almost one a day (Connected a water hose to the drain, with the drain standpipe removed, put a garden hose on, put a cheap valve on the other end of the hose)

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-16-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
How cool should the swamp make the house?
The cooler should be able to take 100 degree air and turn it into 67 degree air if the relative humidity is about 15%.

Note that the two questions:

(1) How cool should the swamp make the air?

.... and

(2) How cool should the swamp make the house?

.... are different.

Quote:
On 100 degree days, mine is only cooling the house to 84.5.
Poncho's suggestions are correct. You have to have good airflow.

Generally, with the blower on low, my house is about ten degrees warmer than the air that is coming out of the vents. If I set the blower on high, the house would probably be about five degrees warmer and feel even cooler than that because of the increased air flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque