Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times

Advertisements

I believe that is the parents fault. I remember my parents always made sure I was dressed in the "proper attire" ... Never baggy jeans, or long baggy shirts. No gang ware. Of course that was way back when. Where I grew up gangs were a major roll in the school, good thing they all turned out ok.

If I saw my son leaving the house looking like a "thug" the HELL I would let him out. Not by a longshot.

But I don't judge other people by doing it. If that is what "their" parents are fine with then alright.
I'm just strict with what my kids wear thats forsure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I believe that is the parents fault. I remember my parents always made sure I was dressed in the "proper attire" ... Never baggy jeans, or long baggy shirts. No gang ware. Of course that was way back when. Where I grew up gangs were a major roll in the school, good thing they all turned out ok.

If I saw my son leaving the house looking like a "thug" the HELL I would let him out. Not by a longshot.

But I don't judge other people by doing it. If that is what "their" parents are fine with then alright.
I'm just strict with what my kids wear thats forsure.

I have to say you echo the opinion of many parents. You would be surprised how many are unaware of what Gang Ware (Attire) is though. Little Johnny rarely comes home and says "Mom, guess what? I'm a gang member!". There are of course some parents who support gangs for generational reasons. Gangs=Crime is true though, these are not youth groups. There are a lot of surrounding issues with gang membership, including mental illness and addiction. But make no mistake, in the here and now, most gang members do not turn out OKAY. The wanna be's and srooms on the perimeter may make something of themselves. But the guys and gals who are down with the gang are heading into a hard life. So if there is a gang member standing on the corner, trouble comes his way more often because of his lifestyle choices than to your children. Why stand next to him and wait for it? Just go someplace else and avoid the trouble. Mom always said " birds of a feather flock together ".

Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Shopper View Post
I have to say you echo the opinion of many parents. You would be surprised how many are unaware of what Gang Ware (Attire) is though. Little Johnny rarely comes home and says "Mom, guess what? I'm a gang member!". There are of course some parents who support gangs for generational reasons. Gangs=Crime is true though, these are not youth groups. There are a lot of surrounding issues with gang membership, including mental illness and addiction. But make no mistake, in the here and now, most gang members do not turn out OKAY. The wanna be's and srooms on the perimeter may make something of themselves. But the guys and gals who are down with the gang are heading into a hard life. So if there is a gang member standing on the corner, trouble comes his way more often because of his lifestyle choices than to your children. Why stand next to him and wait for it? Just go someplace else and avoid the trouble. Mom always said " birds of a feather flock together ".

Agreed, I'm a watchdog. Parents need to be more involved. That is the key. Believe me I grew up around that going to school, I'm not going to let my kids get near it.

Of course I don't need to worry about gangs so much, The private school here in Vegas is really strict as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque