Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times

Advertisements

Yes billionbuks, that is why 9 out of 10 on this forum will tell you that your WRONG. I am sorry you had such a miserable experience here, but I think that we would all appreciate it if you would stop making generalized comments without supporting them with evidence. I saw your other post about Blacks being persecuted, and I am also very sorry about that. I was talking to my neighbor (Black) and he told me he has never felt biases or prejudices against him. So I don't think your blanket statements are completely true for everyone. I truly hope that the next place you live is in a more enjoyable place.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,663 times
For the most part you can some up ABQ (or new mexico, for the most part) as a very beautiful pleasant place. But so is the deep south. Eventually you get to meet the neighbors.

The ones that are hell bent on lapping up whatever this city produces, stay. The rest leave, if they can.

No one thrives in Albuquerque, they just get by. It's depressing, ironic in the beautiful atmosphere. Sort of like drug wars in jamaica. It's all scenic, unless it's historic or touristy it's pretty much run down. There's a lot of ugly run down neighborhoods here. The city is an eyesore on the scenery!

Call them 'rustic' if you want. They aren't eating steak tonight that's for damn sure.

And you wonder why these working poor are so unpleasant to be around? If I had to struggle that much for next to nothing I surely wouldn't be in good moods. With children! If I lived in a slumy (oh, I'm sorry rustic) motel I'd have something to say about the hopelessness you see in common joe albuquerque. Notoriously rougher around the edges, hokey, dull, sometimes tranisitent usually less sharpened.

No matter how many rosy optimists posted on subject, the only people that i've found to be well rounded, interesting and optimistic.........are transplants!

The reputation with this city, when I lived in santa fe.......there's more stuff to do but the people are horrible. It's the mantra of any frustrated young person that I've ever befriended that's left this place. Since I've moved here and toiled for a couple years.....I can see the door they left swinging open. I'm already putting one foot in front of the other heading towards it.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullionbuks View Post
No culture, No entertainment, it is an island in the middle of the desert.
Just a couple hours ago I heard an interview with members of a Scandinavian dacne troupe in town for a dance festival, on the University of New Mexico's radio station. Anybody who thinks there's no culture here isn't looking.

Another example: Recently, a cultural organization submitted a letter to President Obama, signed by artists and arts programmers around the country, petitioning for a lifting of the cultural blockade against Cuba. The organization behind that letter is based in Albuquerque.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 02-25-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonoXIII View Post
Ok, I'm going to be moving to Albuquerque sometime in the next few months. Reading through the different posts, I seem to get the whole range of feelings about the city. However, certain comments seem to come up a lot, including:

1) Horrible Traffic
2) Bad Pollution
3) Rough/Protective Culture
4) Tight/Poor Housing Design

Now, what I'd like to know is, where are the people who are claiming this originally from? What are they comparing it to?

To explain, I'm from the D.C. Metro Area, and have lived in the D.C.-Baltimore Corridor for 25 years. It's hard for me to imagine any place more tightly packed together, with worse traffic, ruder people and nastier pollution, short of the big three (NY, LA and Chi-town). The statistics seem to point the other way from what everyone is saying, considering:

------

1a) The D.C. Metro Area covers 7,500 square miles, and has a population of 5 million people. (That doesn't even cover the Baltimore sprawl connected to it).

1b) The Albuquerque Metro Area covers 9,200 square miles, and has a population of 815,000 people.

-----

2a) Washington D.C. (the main city) has a density of 9,000 / square mile.

2b) Albuquerque (the main city) has a density of 2,500 / square mile.

2c) Prince George's County (the suburb I live in) has a density of 1,700 / square mile.

2d) Rio Rancho (the suburb I'm moving to) has a density of 900 / square mile.

-----

3a) Prince George's County had 8,200 violent crimes (150 murders, 266 rapes, 4,400 robberies, and 3,300 aggravated assaults) and 45,500 property crimes (6,300 burglaries, 24,000 thefts, and 15,000 auto-thefts).

3b) Albuquerque had 4,600 violent crimes (51 murders, 385 rapes, 1,100 robberies, and 3,100 aggravated assaults) and 30,200 property crimes (5,700 burglaries, 20,000 thefts and 3,700 auto-thefts).

-----

4a) Washington D.C. has 19.0% of it's population living in poverty.

4b) Albuquerque has 16.7% of it's population living in poverty.

-----

5a) Washington D.C. has greater Nitrogen Dioxide, Ozone and Sulfur Dioxide pollution counts.

5b) Albuquerque has greater Particulate Matter pollution counts. (I'm guessing that might be sand?)

-----

6a) Washington D.C. temperatures range up to 90 F in summer, but with 80% humidity can end up with a Heat Index ranging up to 113 F.

6b) Albuquerque temperatures range up to 92 F in summer, but with 60% humidity can end up with a Heat Index ranging up to 104 F.

-----

So, in comparison, it seems that Albuquerque/Rio Rancho has less people, more area, lower density, lower crime rate, and lower non-particulate pollution than Washington D.C./Prince George's County.

It has slightly lower poverty rate and Heat Index, and while temperatures are slightly hotter, they're less humid. The only thing Albuquerque seems to have worse than where I currently am is sand.

My question then is, where are the people who seem to be declaring how horrible Albuquerque is comparing to? Where are they living or did they live prior to this, that they make this city sound like a bad place to move to?

you've seem to got it all figured out. You can pretty much compare any city to D.C. and D.C. will be worse.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Default some more reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullionbuks View Post
DO NOT MOVE HERE! :UNLESS

1. You are going to UNM med school or law school

2. You are in the witness protection plan

3. You are from one of the other areas of New Mexico

../.. it is an island in the middle of the desert.
Or, you have a job making avg. money and you want great weather, scenery, food and schools.

Or, you love the high desert, and you like the idea of an island of culture in the middle of a desert.

Or if you want to live in a really cool, medium-sized city, but also want to be able to drive for 15 min. and be in southwest solitude.

Or, if you're tired of endless Generica, and are ready for something that's refreshing & unique.

Or, if you want to wake up everyday for 2½ yrs. after you arrive, and still feel like you're on vacation.

But bullionbuks' reasons are valid, too.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Just a couple hours ago I heard an interview with members of a Scandinavian dacne troupe in town for a dance festival, on the University of New Mexico's radio station. Anybody who thinks there's no culture here isn't looking.
When I am in New York City, I have to choose between fifteen and twenty different Scandinavian dance troops every weekend (not counting the Finnish and Icelandic ones.)

In Minneapolis you literally need learn Scandinavian dance steps to negotiate the sidewalks which are thick with Scandinavian dance troops.

Just kidding, ApartmentNomad ;-)

ABQConvict

Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 PM

43 posts, read 210,854 times
Umm traffic is not bad in abq.Try seattle(4th worst in the nation) or portland.Can you say gridlock at 2pm.Cool.Or the literal crackerbox houses crammed together on NARROW non linear ( think right angles) non posted streets(is that 125th ave or 125th st.)Oh its 125th St AT 125th ave.Blurred by a 4 month downpour.All connected by equally NARROW non posted state highways.All smelling of either mold ,sewer,burning slash ,or pesticides from the mill.Where good food is the local panda express.and the culture is the local antique shop.
Yea give me the warmth ,sunshine,wide street/highways ,food that you can taste,art ,concerts,desert solitude/silence, nice people(well nice to me).Whats NOT to like.YOU can do worse that abq.

Last edited by bigdddydaug; 08-07-2009 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: forgot a line

Old 08-08-2009, 12:20 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times
Pollution?
According to the American Lung Association we are in the top 10 cleanest in the nation.
So..Uhh no, Plus our homes have nice designs are built well... Mine is anyway.

Traffic here is alright, I wait in it like 20 min a day, in Las Vegas its about the smae so no complaining from me.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Pollution?
According to the American Lung Association we are in the top 10 cleanest in the nation.
So..Uhh no, Plus our homes have nice designs are built well... Mine is anyway.

Traffic here is alright, I wait in it like 20 min a day, in Las Vegas its about the smae so no complaining from me.
One of the things we loved about the ABQ area was the clean air.

NIta

Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,853 times
I personally would stay away from here, if you are African-American. People are not opened minded here. They like stay in their own litttle "clicks" and are very ignorant to people from other ethnic groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque