Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagickatt View Post
I have lived in Albuquerque now for two years and would disagree that it is absolutely the worst place I've lived. This is my third long term move and I can only count down the days until my husband changes jobs and we can move back to the east coast.
Well you said that this is your third long term move, does that mean you just can't find a place you like? You could be a person who just can't see anything but the bad in every place you live. I know one of these types of people and he often brings down the morale

Quote:
Although I do not think it is fair to compare ABQ to a more established and historically rich area such as DC there are certain factors that need to be addressed.
Oh yeah, and Albuquerque was founded in 1706, 84 years earlier than D.C. So actually, Albuqueurque would be more historically rich. And an hour away from Albuquerque is Santa Fe, the oldest capital in the United States. (Established in 1515, 92 years before Jamestown!) Next time check your facts before you make false and ignorant statements.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:55 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Well you said that this is your third long term move, does that mean you just can't find a place you like? You could be a person who just can't see anything but the bad in every place you live. I know one of these types of people and he often brings down the morale

Oh yeah, and Albuquerque was founded in 1706, 84 years earlier than D.C. So actually, Albuqueurque would be more historically rich. And an hour away from Albuquerque is Santa Fe, the oldest capital in the United States. (Established in 1515, 92 years before Jamestown!) Next time check your facts before you make false and ignorant statements.
Some people just look for reasons to be negative....even though they don't know what they are talking about, all I can say to those people is SEE YA...Albuquerque is better off without the negative vibe people!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
You see more history in DC, I think thats what she was saying. In Santa Fe, you have the Palace of the Governors to show for it being the oldest capital, thats about it (right?). In DC, there are monuments, statues and museums all over. If one doesnt like to learn about native and Spanish history, theyd be bored silly in ABQ. I think thats where she was coming from. I think.

Oh, I just wanted to let everyone know that Santa Fe is the most beautiful city in the SW! Ive visited twice now and love it. Along Cerillos Rd is kinda shabby, but Old Town/Plaza is phenomonally gorgeous. Two thumbs up!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Zoidberg, mortimer, abqsunport, and observe:

LOVED your posts on this page!!!!

After reading blackmagickatt's post, I wanted to respond immediately...but then I saw that you said all the things I would have said .... and much better.

BRAVO!

Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 35,106 times
) Horrible Traffic
It's not the horrible traffic but RUDE drivers. I am a transplant and have lived all over the US and I have never encountered such rude drivers. Even the drivers in BOSTON were more courteous than ABQ drivers!!! They drive like maniacs and you have to be careful to make sure you have GOOD CAR INSURANCE since many drivers here aren't even insured. (GRREEEAAAT.)
2) Bad Pollution
I have asthma so I watch for this one. When it there is a high pressure system on ABQ the pollution is so bad, the horizon looks brown. So, yes, pollution can be pretty nasty here.
3) Rough/Protective Culture
Yes, this is true. NM has a HORRIBLE reputation for one of the highest domestic violence rates in the country as well as notorious gang activity. Gangs went from being localized within a community/city to statewide. Furthermore, Gangs can be found in EVERY part of the city. My family lives in a supposed family-oriented part of ABQ and a few weeks ago there were a series of cars tagged with gang signs in my neighborhood. Again, our neighborhood has/had a GREAT reputation.
4) Tight/Poor Housing Design
I disagree with poor housing design. No where else can you find such unique house designs (while it may take a little time to acclimate to the adobe), even the "cookie cutter" homes are unique to the area.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 AM

35 posts, read 107,969 times
Are there any worthwhile gated communities in Albuquerque or Rio Rancho? My wife and I are retiring and returning. I also have a 90 year old mother who needs a good nursing home. Real estate agents are eager sell, but I would like to hear from someone who, from expirience, knows gated communities and nursing homes in Albuquerque.

Shaddow

Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Tanoan is a very elite gated community. There are several gated communities in the Far North East Heights. Every single one of them is nice. They are all in great parts of town.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 AM

58 posts, read 229,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
casden wrote:

> Hopefully regional traffic planning and public transportation
> proposals (like a light rail system) will become realities ...

I hope not. Light rail, IMO, is just a very expensive bus on a
horrendously expensive road that sucks tax dollars that could
be used to expand and improve the 'normal' bus system and/or
in the case of bigger cities prevent and slow the development
of rapid rail.

For some reason, if it has metal 'tires' people assume it's better.
Actually, that's not really true.

I lived in Minneapolis when they built their light rail. Many people ride it and as such, many less people are on the roads. The effect on traffic only effects a small part of the area thus far, since there's only one track. But, IMO, it's a much better use of tax dollars than just builing more roads. Talk about a waste of space.

Plus, Minneapolis was considered to have one of the better bus systems, but the reality is, busses can only do so much. And sadly, people who would never ride the bus would ride the light rail...

Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 114,253 times
DO NOT MOVE HERE!

:UNLESS
1. You are going to UNM med school or law school

2. You are in the witness protection plan

3. You are from one of the other areas of New Mexico

Visit here. Talk to the people. 9 out of 10 will tell you how much the hate it here including natives. No culture, No entertainment, it is an island in the middle of the desert.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:55 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,701 times
Yes, bullionbucks could not be more right, that is why ABQ is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque