Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,953 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Albany this summer for graduate school at the College of St. Rose... looking for an affordable apartment for myself... any advice on better (safer) streets in downtown albany or apartment complexes.... also, nice surrounding suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 AM

30 posts, read 66,773 times
All the college kids live on Western, Hamilton, and Hudson. It's pretty safe. That's right near St. Rose too. These are houses where you'll need a roommate though and you said you want to live alone.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 14,264 times
I have been an undergrad/grad college student in the Albany area for almost 10 years. I steer clear of downtown living because violent crimes towards college students have increased dramatically since I have been here and the Pine Hills (college ghetto) area is where most of these violent crimes are happening. I live in an apartment in East Greenbush now and I really like the area. If you have a car to get around, I would suggest living in one of the suburbs such as East Greenbush, Colonie, Guilderland, or the uptown Albany area near the main UAlbany campus. I would check the classifieds in the timesunion.com or some of the apartment complexes in these areas.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 117,210 times
I would say stay uptown I'd look in the Melrose area or McKownville (across st from uptown ualb campus) and at places close to Western Ave (rosemont st, brevator st, davis ave, ormond st, that whole section is fine and close to St. Rose and UALB) Pine Hills has gotten worse over the past year, but all isn't bad. In Pine Hills stay away from(Yates st, partridge and morris) and obv. careful of parks at night (which I'm sure you know already).......Neighborhoods to avoid: west hill (all), arbor hill (all), sheridan hollow (elk st, sheridan ave, orange st, South End (south pearl st, 2nd ave, 3rd, morton ave.) -------Pop bars (depending on age): downtown is north pearl st which is always busy...Jillians, 3 floors (1st is bar/arcade, 2nd bar, 3rd dance floor), Blue 82 isn't too bad, bayou cafe (not if underage, cop bar) also UPPER LARK ST (not lower. Lower lark will take you into arbor hill which you want to avoid.) Upper lark is always busy on weekends, and yes, you will be safe. Bars there are lark tavern, lionheart (lot of people, cheap drinks), bombers (which gets overly crowded usually). If you get drunk on lark and you start to wonder...if you hit Washington Ave, turn around! haha. Enjoy Albany. You will have fun! I live in schenectady and I have plenty of friends who go to UALB and St. Rose. They love it!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:47 PM

291 posts, read 957,974 times
I vote for Guilderland near Stuyvesant Plaza.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 AM

33 posts, read 233,130 times
Hi. I recommend that area also, Guilderland near Stuyvesant. But then it is a few miles bus ride away from St Rose. I lived across from St Rose in the Albany dorms, but I guess that is not an option for you. I also recommend Lark Street, between Western and State Streets. There you will find charming apartments and restaurants and bars nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area