Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,086 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are relocating to Albany. We have a child now and are trying to determine what might work best. My sister lives in Amsterdam and it is important that we are relatively close to her.

My focus has been on Scotia/Glenville, as the schools are decent, its close to my sister and gives my husband a tolerable commute. However, as we get closer to making an offer on a house I worry that I might be overlooking better options.

We will be fairly middle class for albany area, with combined income of 170000ish starting out as we move. i really prefer my child not be on the lower income side of their school environment. I've looked at BH-BL, Nisky, and the other comparable options. New construction in those areas are waaay out of our price range. No interest in raising my kid surrounded by big money and kids who get cars for their birthdays. I have no idea if these higher cost areas are snobby or of the quality of schools compared to scotia glenville are significant.

Ideal living arrangement would be a 25 min or less commute to Albany, super safe, and really good schools. Willing to pay as much as 300000 for a house, but much happier at 200-250. Would love a neighborhood with lots of other young families, with a preplanned design, but not required. Is there anywhere left that little preplanned communities where parents still try to outdo each other with Christmas lights, kids play with all the kids on their street, while running from house to house?

Last edited by Cindersmella; 12-23-2017 at 05:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 AM

93,352 posts, read 124,009,048 times
If that is your combined income, you are at the very least upper middle class for the Albany area, if not upper class. I say this given median household income data at different census levels. Upstate NY is different than Downstate NY in terms of cost of living, as it is around the national average in that regard, give or take.

Besides Scotia-Glenville, Schalmont may be another option and parts of the district are in Montgomery County. It gets its name due to its location in parts of SCHenectady, ALbany and MONTgomery counties, while being based in Rotterdam in the first county: Schalmont Central School District - USA.com™ So, perhaps you could find something in that district. More information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000038414

Homepage - Schalmont Central School District, Schenectady, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-23-2017 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
you may also consider Clifton Park or anything in the Shenendehowa Central School district- that's a little further east about 31 miles (40 mins) from Amsterdam. Ballston Spa schools and Colonie schools are also suppose to be decent ( a hair closer to Amsterdam and Albany. Maybe someone else can chime in...I never had kids in upstate schools- I'm from LI originally.

Also your income bracket makes it possible to live almost anywhere (in an average house) unless you want a McMansion.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 AM

93,352 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
you may also consider Clifton Park or anything in the Shenendehowa Central School district- that's a little further east about 31 miles (40 mins) from Amsterdam. Ballston Spa schools and Colonie schools are also suppose to be decent ( a hair closer to Amsterdam and Albany. Maybe someone else can chime in...I never had kids in upstate schools- I'm from LI originally.

Also your income bracket makes it possible to live almost anywhere (in an average house) unless you want a McMansion.
To put this into perspective, the most affluent school districts in the Capital Region, in Bethlehem and Niskayuna, have median household incomes just under $100,000(about $97-98,000). So, the OP's income could get them a very nice house pretty much anywhere in the area.

Here is a list to give an idea of median household incomes for all school districts in NY State: New York Median Household Income School District Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

So, only about 8 school districts in the state have median household incomes above the OP's household income.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,086 times
I guess the prices of houses are throwing me a bit, as homes without needing work seem to indicate higher income ranges. Guessing maybe I just prefer a lower mortgage than is typical. No McMansion, just a home with three bed, 1.5 bath, kitchen updated to at least 90's and I would love a fenced yard. Seems easy enough, but finding cute houses in the 200-250 range has been a bit difficult. I'm staying in upstate until we close on a house, so I'll have to make a few trips to try and get a better feel.

We lived in Ballston Spa, briefly, about ten years ago. Husband would love avoid the northway, if possible. We both prefer a small town feel and currently live in a rural community.

How does Scotia/Glenville compare to Bethlehem, Nisky and the others? I'd love to give my son the most opportunities. Is there a big difference in special and athletics offered? If it's just academic, that doesn't concern me.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:48 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times
Scotia/Glenville are probably your best options. Scotia in particular is a really nice, walkable community.

These homes seem to fit what you're looking for:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/15_zm/0_mmm/

Scotia's a very family-orientated community, without the chaos that goes on over in Schenectady. It's safe for kids to walk around and it's very nice in the summer time. Ernesto, the local jeweler, is a good friend of mine. He also has a shop in Amsterdam in the Riverfront Mall.

If you're trying to avoid raising snobby kids, I'd probably avoid Nisky. Nice community, but it's got a reputation for that sort of thing. I've met numerous people who attended that high school and they're the ones who got new BMWs for their 16th birthday and all that.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
I've lived in the area most of my life and decided to spend the rest of my life in Scotia. Your husband is right about the Northway although there are times returning from Albany can be crowded. Getting to Amsterdam is a breeze.

Burnt Hills and Niskayuna have high-rated school systems but the size of Scotia-Glenville is perfect for having a sense of community. The kids look out for each other. The support for music and the arts is on par with its championship sports programs.

I always thought I'd be relocating to a warmer retirement spot. I realized I would miss everyone I have met in the community. If I ever really need help, I know many who would drop what they're doing to help me.

Bill

Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
If you are more blue collar Scotia/Glenville is prob a better bet... Schools and everything else over are pretty mediocre (check the state stats...Nisky and Delmar and Saratoga score well). Scotia and Glenville is kind of the down by the riverside meh...just seems kind of danky...

Just MHO...upside is the Italian food in Schenectady and a lot of the eateries in town are fantastic. Close by...

Clifton Park is chain dining, lots of cul-de-sacs, and a lot of males with greased hair in ralph lauren....many whom may drive bmws but have mcdonalds wrappers on the car floor if you catch my drift.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Clifton Park is chain dining, lots of cul-de-sacs, and a lot of males with greased hair in ralph lauren....many whom may drive bmws but have mcdonalds wrappers on the car floor if you catch my drift.
Lol, quite accurate.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
Another thing you can do: since schools are most important.

Call each school district you are interested in, and make an appointment to tour the schools and talk to administration, maybe teachers, students that are around (the lunch room maybe a good time for that).

Ask about courses available and any other info needed.

There is no reason why you can't treat a public school, like a private school. If you like any particular school, then you can ask where the district covers to insure you only look at houses in that district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area