Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM

271 posts, read 248,740 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a small town in the catskills. I have applied for a job with the state which would mean a move to Albany if I do get the job. I know the office is on State Street. I would like to know what area of Albany and surrounding areas would make the best commute to the State Street area. We are somewhat familiar with Albany but don't know enough about neighborhoods, etc. Our daughter is in her senior year and will be going to college so school districts won't be an issue.

Also, my husband is a ham radio operator so we would need to be in an area that would allow a ham radio tower. So any feedback from fellow hams would be appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM

255 posts, read 488,692 times
Well in terms of suburbs, Delmar/Bethlehem are very close to downtown albany and would be a relatively quick commute. Bethlehem is a very nice albeit expensive suburb. Menands and loudonville are also very close to State Street. Loudonville is one of the wealthiest areas in Albany while menands is more middle-class.

There are also some very nice parts of Albany itself that you can look into. The area surrounding Hackett Blvd and New Scotland Ave are very nice and not too expensive. The areas surrounding Western Ave are also very nice and affordable.

All of these places I've mentioned would keep your husbands commute at least under 20 minutes.

I don't know anything about ham radio towers, sorry.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM

247 posts, read 526,438 times
Parts of Loudonville are not expensive: all the mid-century modern ranch homes along Albany-Shaker Road. It's mostly a nice, quiet area, and has the lowest property taxes in the region. Plus you have the Crossings park, and it's a very quick commute to downtown Albany.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 AM

42 posts, read 178,565 times
The area is okay, its very safe and stable. Does not like change though, due to the influence of the state, colleges and hospitals. It is great for raising a family as the only reasons left to stay in NY is family and lots of water. One maxes out quickly here and may find it hard to further their career, due to the family and lack of change. Big business does not play here much, may be another reason. Just some things, I have noticed and has been pointed out to me. The lack of sun, old infrastructure, winters, paying for ever one else's stuff (taxes and pensions), and knowing down south is slower and nicer, makes it hard to stay as well. Don't mean to be negative, but this stuff is pretty obvious. Once you lose your edge from living/working in a place like this, it is tough to get it back, once you get too comfortable and eventually you don't care anymore (my change from my 20s to my 30s).

Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 AM

42 posts, read 178,565 times
BTW, the are has a nice HAM radio club in the area, someone I work with does this.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyll View Post
The area is okay, its very safe and stable. Does not like change though, due to the influence of the state, colleges and hospitals. It is great for raising a family as the only reasons left to stay in NY is family and lots of water. One maxes out quickly here and may find it hard to further their career, due to the family and lack of change. Big business does not play here much, may be another reason. Just some things, I have noticed and has been pointed out to me. The lack of sun, old infrastructure, winters, paying for ever one else's stuff (taxes and pensions), and knowing down south is slower and nicer, makes it hard to stay as well. Don't mean to be negative, but this stuff is pretty obvious. Once you lose your edge from living/working in a place like this, it is tough to get it back, once you get too comfortable and eventually you don't care anymore (my change from my 20s to my 30s).
That's why I always preface my comments about the Capitol District in these terms: its a decent place to live BUT it depends on where its being compared to. If you have family nearby and its close to where you grew up (and that's important to you), you could do a lot worse. For the Northeast, its not a bad place to live. There's plenty of trees, open space, and clean water, something many parts of the Northeast lack (northern NJ, for example, and Long Island).

Once you start comparing it to the highly sought after locations down South or out West, it just doesn't really stack up.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM

334 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyll View Post
The OP is living in the Catskills, so probably pretty familiar with the pros and cons of the Capital District.

If you're commuting to State St, then Delmar is a good suburban choice. If you want a more urban lifestyle, then you may want to look at Center Square (walking distance to State St.) Although Center Square attracts a lot of young professionals, there has also been in upswing in empty nesters moving there. Most of the streets are friendly, and people tend to know their neighbors.

You might also want to consider Uptown Albany if you want to be close but live in a single family detached home. Buses run along New Scotland, Washington and Western Ave pretty frequently. If you choose the Western or Washington Ave neighborhoods, living at Manning Blvd or above should keep you away from loud student parties. Buckingham Pond area is very nice, but pricey.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 AM

271 posts, read 248,740 times
Default Got hired by the State

Well, I got the job with the State and will start work there next month. Our house is up for sale and my husband and daughter will stay until it's sold and her graduation from high school. She will probably attend Hudson Valley. I will be looking for an apt to move into. Would like to be near a bus line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM

95 posts, read 191,596 times
If you want to be near a bus line look for something off of central ave. You might want to consider the part of Colonie East of I-87. There are apartments there but I don't know which are nice.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 AM

255 posts, read 488,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
Well, I got the job with the State and will start work there next month. Our house is up for sale and my husband and daughter will stay until it's sold and her graduation from high school. She will probably attend Hudson Valley. I will be looking for an apt to move into. Would like to be near a bus line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Look in the areas directly surrounding Washington Park. Or the areas surrounding New Scotland Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area