Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aallwine View Post
We are a retiring military family looking to relocate to the Capitol region, possibly near some sort of military installation. We will have high school aged daughters who are used to diverse US schools (in the Fairfax County VA area) as well as private international schools. We would like the "small town feel" (don't we all) but with cultural attractions of a larger city (theatre and music specifically). Scotia seems to be at the top of the list but will it be "too small?" Would living closer to Albany be better or is Scotia close enough to go for shows/entertainment/dining?
trust me your better off in scotia. Dont send your children to albany or schenectady schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I know that this old, but it is still viewed by people. Perhaps parts of the village of Menands(just north of the Albany city line or across from the Farmer's Market) could work. It has a very diverse and good K-8th grade school district and after 8th grade, children have the option of going to either Shaker High in the North Colonie SD, Watervliet High or Tech valley High School. Shaker High is very good and has some diversity. Watervliet has some diversity, but isn't as highly acclaimed.

More information: Menands School District - Menands, NY

Shaker High School | North Colonie Central School District, Latham, NY

Watervliet Jr./Sr. High School - Watervliet, NY

Tech Valley High School - Albany, NY

For private schools, there are plenty to choose from that are religious and non religious. Doane Stuart and Albany Academy are non-religious(now), highly regarded and are the most expensive. Welcome to the Doane Stuart School

The Albany Academies, single-gender independent day schools in Albany, | The Albany Academies

Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 PM

33 posts, read 37,926 times
I just wanted to comment that we are a current military family that relocated to Scotia 7 months ago and we love it. Our son starts public school in the fall so no experience with that yet but I have been impressed with the school so far.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
I just wanted to comment that we are a current military family that relocated to Scotia 7 months ago and we love it. Our son starts public school in the fall so no experience with that yet but I have been impressed with the school so far.
Are you in the village?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Yes we are. I love that we can walk to the store, library, park, etc now that the weather is nice. How the school will be remains to be seen, but again I liked the kindergarten team during our meet.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yes we are. I love that we can walk to the store, library, park, etc now that the weather is nice. How the school will be remains to be seen, but again I liked the kindergarten team during our meet.
I believe that the school district is in the upper third of school districts in the area and I doubt that the difference between many of the districts on the list is large: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...0/albany2.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n.../upstate2.html

Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM

Interesting

Old 05-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting
Like I mentioned, the lists can give SOME idea in terms of schools, but it shouldn't be viewed as the be all, end all either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area