Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times

Advertisements

Parts of the Big Lake area are really swampy in the summer....lots of standing water. You might also look at Willow. Willow reminds me a bit of the way Wasilla used to be.

Palmer is my favorite place in the Mat. Valley. A friend was telling me today that they are renovating the downtown area; Marty might know more about that.

I spend a lot of time in Oregon so yeah....your comparisons are pretty fair. If you can handle gorge winds you can handle anything the valley has. You're coming at a good time because you'll see it pretty much at it's worst. It's right before leaf bud so everything is brown and dreary; lots of mud and junk. Even at it's worst, it's still beautiful though.

If you get a chance while you're here, drive up the Parks and visit Talkeetna. It would be too far away for you to actually live, but it's a nice weekend getaway for people living in the areas that you're interested in.

Good luck on the job prospects...I have a friend who works at the hospital there and loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 AM

80 posts, read 198,819 times
Is it nice to live in Alaska? I want to go so bad.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM

74 posts, read 165,687 times
Metlakatla, it's funny, I was reading a post, I can't remember if it was the Oakridge or Cottage Grove post and there you were. I think it was from last year. Small world. Thanks for the info. I am curious now about what TearDrop said about them poss not hiring back their tenured teachers. At first I was hoping this isn't going to be a wasted trip up there this week. And then I thought, how could it be a waste? I am visiting Alaska!!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 PM

89 posts, read 200,544 times
That is just in the valley. What area does your husband teach? There are some areas we have a pretty high demand and they are still hiring. Anchorage (which the district goes to Eagle River) will be hiring also, they always do. You have to keep in mind school districts here are different. The Mat-Su school district is about the same size as West Virginia. That is the district that houses Palmer and Wasilla...as well as Houston, Big Lake, Su Valley...it is smaller in population, but pretty spread out. I am a teacher and teach at Wasilla High. We have indistrict postings tomorrow (all jobs are open to current staff prior to hiring outside). You can even see those by going to the school district site, that gives you an idea of what types of positions are being hired. All tenured teachers are hired back, it is the non-tentured ones that haven't been hired back yet. I imagine they will be, but you never know. Generally there is a high level of hiring in the fall. I don't know why they do it that way, but they do.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM

74 posts, read 165,687 times
My husband teaches secondary English/ Lang Arts. Last week there had been 3 Eng. positions posted internally and he spoke with a gal from the district office that said the jobs closed on 4/8 and that she'd repost them open to external appl. after that, but they never posted. In Oregon, it seems like a bulk of the hiring takes place in August too, which is irritating, especially if you have to relocate. We have 4 kids and would like to be in a house for a few weeks and find our socks and underwear before heading back to a "new" school already.
Is it snowing again up there already? And what's with the earthquake activity? I had heard that it was nice there last week and now a winter storm alert this week. Crazy. Oh well, we are excited.
My husband was told that he has an interview with Mat-Su this Friday and he has one with ANC as well. We are also driving to Kenai for him to interview there for a couple positions. Who knows! Thanks for your help!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM

89 posts, read 200,544 times
New in-district postings went up today, but I haven't seen out of district postings yet. They haven't finished with in-district interviews yet either. Unfortunately with budget, projections, and negotiations coming in, out of district hiring will probably mostly happen later in the summer. It is just the way it is. The pre-interview is needed to even be considered. I assume your husband is going to the job fair.

Yes,it snowed a bunch last night. It is a bit odd for April. We had an earthquake a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't much. It happened during statewide testing and most students didn't even look up.

Good luck! It is beautiful. If you plan on staying up here, I would suggest looking into buying because renting up here costs almost as much as a house payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska