Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,224,328 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I'm new here, but this site seems like a great place for info. Was wondering if anyone in the MAt-Su area could help me out. My husband and I (along with our 6 kids) are moving to the Wasilla area next month. My husband is in Residential Construction. We were wondering how well the building trade does there? And do Carpenters do alright for work in the winter? He is a framer but wants to start building sheds, gazebos etc as well and can do this from home during the winter months. We are very excited and would welcome any good advice. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,473,219 times
Default Wasilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm new here, but this site seems like a great place for info. Was wondering if anyone in the MAt-Su area could help me out. My husband and I (along with our 6 kids) are moving to the Wasilla area next month. My husband is in Residential Construction. We were wondering how well the building trade does there? And do Carpenters do alright for work in the winter? He is a framer but wants to start building sheds, gazebos etc as well and can do this from home during the winter months. We are very excited and would welcome any good advice. Thank you
Due to overbuilding in the Valley (Wasilla area), there are many vacant homes so I strongly recommend he obtain work before coming and if not, you would probably want to have a good 6 months or more (especially with 6 kids), living expense money - It will go fast. I don't know where you are moving from but it is not real cheap living in Alaska. Your husband might be able to obtain commercial type carpentry working in Anchorage, however, it is all union work and be aware that it is not always easy for someone new to get work immediately with the Unions up here. This same thing happened to a friend of our's who moved up here.

As far as gazebos and things I'm not sure. Alot of folks up here build their own stuff.

Again, have a job before you come or either have LOTS of money saved up until a job is found and do lots of research before making your move, especially with kids. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info, we have money saved up but as you said it goes fast with 6 kids. We have lived in WA for the past several years and it was really expensive to live there as well. Can anyone out there give me info as far as winter work available for Carpenters? I would really appreciate it! As far as him getting a job in that field we've tried but no one takes us too seriously until we're up there. Also if anyone knows of any reputable builders he could call for work that would be great too. Thanks for all of the help. We are very anxious about this move and really looking forward to it!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 PM

21 posts, read 76,560 times
Unhappy rethink your plans

Alaska is a great adventure, but it is also a harsh environment economically, not to mention physically and emotionally. You really need to have a job lined up BEFORE you make so great a move. It's not like you can just "leave" the state if you end up not finding employment--many a dreamer has attempted what you are suggesting and ended up broke and without a way to get "home" (the lower 48). Please, for the sake of your children, get a job lined up (even if it's only at the local Walmart) before you isolate yourselves in so remote an area with few resources for those who become stranded. Trust me, too many Alaskans have heard the story too many times before to be so inclined to help. We welcome you, but on certain terms. And you should know that the dividend fund will not pay out to new residents to the state until you've lived there an ENTIRE year. That will be a good chunk of change for you, what with 6 kids and all, but the cost of living will eat it up in a heartbeat. It is far more expensive to even by milk, bread, clothing, than ever it is in Washington. I call both states home, so I know what you mean, but Alaska has to have most everything shipped in and that increases the cost of basic household item significantly.

Be warned, be informed, be wise. Good Luck.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,054,818 times
I'm a Realtor in the Wasilla area and I have to tell you that a lot of construction people are hurting. There still are some that are pretty busy. I would say that the busiest builder now is Hall Quality Homes

But people are lining up hoping that he will give them work. While are prices are still holding on, the amount of new construction has dropped by almost 50% over the last two years. I don't expect it to increase any time soon. Actually, the current level is probably a more sustainable amount of new construction in our area.

If you husband has experience remodeling, he might find work. A lot of thepeople specializing in remodeling are very busy, and that is often inside work in the winter as well. But in general, winter months are slower months for construction for obvious reasons.

I write a blog about real estate in the Wasilla area, you might want to check it out. I think the link is on my profile.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 PM

P.S. Not much need for Gazebos in AK--only about 3 months of "summer" and too many mosquitos for about a month of it. And when the sun shines we want to be in it, not shaded. Sorry.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the help. We have been researching Alaska and the Mat-su valley for over a year now. My husband has been a carpenter for 23 years now so remodeling is something he can do quite well. We will definitly keep searching for jobs we are both willing to look into other fields of work, whatever it takes, you know. We are just so sick with the lower 48. We have lived in VA, NC, SC, MT and WA. MT was great but not much of an economy around Great Falls. We know we are escentually starting over and are ok with that. Do you think that with summer coming up the building will pick up? Either way we'll make it work.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 PM

Of all the times of year to find work in AK, summer is by far the best due to various seasonal, tourist oriented employment. Only the national economy can tell you what may be expected in the Alaskan economy. Usually, when the lower 48 is failing economically Alaska booms, but not this time. That being said, I don't think anyone can tell you if the building industry will pick up way up north. I would gage that by how it's going down here.

But if your set to go than go and MAKE it work. Make it happen! Start a new life in a new land. This is America, after all! All the best!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 PM

That's the Spirit we have. We really want to find a better environment to raise our children in. Our oldest is 15 (so we're not too late) and the youngest is 2. Thanks Again everyone. Marty, I went onto the HGH website and it looks like a good contact. Will try. Thankyou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: