Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 66,267 times

Advertisements

Hi people. If anyone could pass some information about Bethel, Alaska along I'd really appreciate it. I've been doing some serious research but anyone who's been able to experience the city first hand might be able to fill me in on more than just statistics. Ok, so here's what I do know(or think I know).... the cost of living is very expensive, transportation is pretty much limited to snowmobiles, boats, planes... am I missing anything?; it's winter about 9 months out of the year, not much of a social scene as far as bars and other nightlife situations.

Now I've lived my whole life(all 22 years of it... ladies) in Ohio. I've never really experienced much more than this state and the ones that border it... so sad. But now I have a chance to make a huge change in my life and I just don't see how I'll be able to pass it up.

My cousin just got a job at a University there and he's already loving the city and how friendly everyone is. We both grew up in small towns so it's kind of all we know. But he asked me to make the move and like I said.... it's kind of hard to say no to a once-in-a-lifetime experience like this, regardless of what you may be leaving behind.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is work. The stats indicate there's not much of it available there but he and others he's talked to are convinced otherwise. Now I don't even have a bachelors... just a high school diploma (I'm such a loser). That can't help my chances of finding a job... do you think there's still something out there if I look hard enough?

Anyway, sorry for the novel... Any info is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 49,113 times
Default Bethel

Why are you moving there? I lived there for a year. Loved it. I was in the medical field so living expenses werent much. YOU dont have alot of transportation but you dont need it. there is only 7 miles of paved road. the yellow cab will take you anywhere for two dollars..to the airport for five..A good job to have is at the airport..loading cargo planes..it's good money and you get very very very discounted tickets..you can fly in and out of anchorage on a regular basis. Usually there are people who share a car in anchorage. It stays in parking and who ever flies in pays to get it out and then returns it when finished and the next person who flies in does the same. The eskimos are wonderful.. dont ask what you are eating. just eat it and you wil like it or not. If you like it you dont want to know what it is..You can order cod from walmart and other dept stores. folks can send you stuff from the lower 48....Just do it....it;s not dark for 9 months ...the sun does not shine for about 3 months..but it is daylight just not bright... Go for it....

Old 08-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Thanks for replying, some helpful info.

I really don't have any reason for moving, I'm just looking to make a change. That's what everyone I've talked to about this asks me, "Why?" I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy and I love hiking and fishing and just exploring. I like experiencing things that I never have before and this would definitely fit under that category. I'm just looking for something new in my life I guess. I have a place to stay when I get there, I'm just worried that I wouldn't find a job. I've been looking at the jobs available there (what I could find via the net) and I did read into the airport screener one. That definitely sounds like some intriguing benefits. I also noticed that they even offer to train you on alot of the available openings, which I thought was cool. But as I said before all I have is a high school diploma, would there be anything else out there for me other than a cashier at a grocery store or something like that, which I wouldn't rule out either. Any fishing-related jobs in Bethel? Or how would I get to/from work if I got a job somewhere outside of Bethel? Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:13 AM

571 posts, read 2,529,259 times
As someone who took off for Alaska when I was your age, I say go for it. You're young, unattached and don't have anything to lose...so why not? You'll meet all kinds of interesting people and it will give you a new perspective on life. I personally think it was one of the best things I've ever done.

I did the fish processing thing in Whittier about 10 years ago (before the road was built...Whittier's not as isolated as Bethel but was still considered a "bush" community then.) I've never been to Bethel, but I think there are fish processing jobs there too? It's only seasonal work and VERY long hours, but you can make OK money if you don't blow it all when you actually have a day off, lol. A lot of companies will give you a nice bonus at the end of the season. Depending on when you go, it might be a good way to start working and earning money right away. If you google for Alaska jobs, you can probably find more info. I think there's a website out there that caters specifically to the Alaska seafood industry.

Things are definitely more expensive out in the bush...just be prepared for some sticker shock. You'll get used to it though. And once you go home you'll appreciate how cheap everything is. The midnight sun is awesome, you have tons of energy and feel like you can go almost 24 hours a day (but be careful not to abuse your body and get sick!)

Anyway, good luck and hopefully you'll decide to go!

Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's just JB
. the cost of living is very expensive,
Food is expensive. But keep in mind that a lot of expenses just don't exist there too. You don't dress for fashion, you dress for the weather, for example. You get to spend all of your money on having fun, rather than on social status.

Quote:
transportation is pretty much limited to snowmobiles, boats, planes... am I missing anything?;
You're missing how much fun all those boats and planes and snowgoes are!

Quote:
it's winter about 9 months out of the year, not much of a social scene as far as bars and other nightlife situations.
If you do it right, you just won't really have time to worry about things like bars! Go fishing, go skiing, go dogsledding, go snowmachining, go camping, go hunting... heck, go chase the opposite sex! (Warning: I did that 40 years ago in Bethel... now all my kids and grandkids call Bethel "home". :-)

(No, I haven't lived there for decades. I live in Barrow.)

Quote:
Now I've lived my whole life(all 22 years of it... ladies) in Ohio. I've never really experienced much more than this state and the ones that border it... so sad. But now I have a chance to make a huge change in my life and I just don't see how I'll be able to pass it up.
The key to whether you will like Alaska or not is just a question of how adventurous you are. People who want to schedule everything they do in advance and like a good steady routine, hate Alaska. The whole state is pretty much one adventure after another. Bethel is one of the more adventurous places in Alaska too...

Quote:
... once-in-a-lifetime experience like this, regardless of what you may be leaving behind.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is work.
Go for it. The chances you can't find a job in Bethel are just about rock bottom zero.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:24 AM

Thank you very much. That's reassuring to hear from someone who was in my shoes at some point in time.

I have a place to stay already so I really don't have anything to lose. I'm a pretty adventurous and spontaneous guy and I've been known to just "go with the flow".

I figure there's no better time than now to expereince all there is in life so I'm very excited about this. Thanks again, very helpful.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi again everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that I DID make the move. I've been here (in Bethel) for about a week now and I've been working at the UPS store since the 2nd day I arrived! It was that easy. I also got word of an even better paying job that has become available to me. Everyone I've met so far has been really nice. I've been really fortunate with the nice weather too!

I just wanted to thank everyone who passed along any info and offered encouragement to me.

For anyone else who comes here looking for info or questioning whether or not they should make a change in their life like this: Do It! Just go for it.

Thanks again. Good day...

Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 12,023 times
Good luck, JB! Your youthful exuberance is refreshing. I spent two years in Bethel in the late 70's with the Army. With the passing of more than 25 years since I've been there, I can't tell you much about the place, as I am sure most of it has changed.

However, I doubt the weather is much different (unless global warming does exist contrary to Mr. Bush's opinion). Enjoy the weather in August. It changes rather dramatically, and probably pretty soon.

Be careful of the wind, as I recall there was nothing to stop it. I remember only one tree (humorously referred to as the Bethel National Forest) and it was pretty scrawny back then.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,561 times
If you or anyone else is looking for new job in Bethel, Alaska Airlines is hiring more than 30 people for both full and part time work. The starting pay is 14.20 per hour which includes an extra 3.00 an hour for willingness to live and work in the boonies. Even better than the pay is the flight benefits, it sure makes it cheaper to get out of town! Let me know if you are interested.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 69,942 times
Hi JB,
I think its great that you made the move, your positive attitude will get you far in life! I also spent time in Bethel on a temporary nursing assingment about 6-7 years ago. I have to agree with an earlier posting that if you like structure(which I do), then you might not like AK. Still in spite of my whining and complaining, I found Bethel to be by far my most interesting place to work/live. I found it to be very surreal(I was there in the summer)to be walking around at midnight with the sun blazing. It never really seemed to get dark either...just kinda "twilight pink". Groceries outrageouslly expensive, I walked on the boardwalks everywhere with my backpack. Lots of dust/silt from the Kuskokwim river.I remember that the hospital would have nature walks which were neat. Check out the nature museum, the morovian bookstore and buy Eskimo handicrafts. Good luck with your travels and get the most out of them. And remember life is what YOU make it, so make it fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska