Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 04:39 PM

63 posts, read 225,151 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have lived here in Alaska since 2002, mostly in Anchorage, and the last few years in Wasilla. My husband has lived here his whole life - in Wasilla since 1984. He's been looking for work, and it's looking like a possibility of getting hired out in Bethel. He's never been there, and we are planning to have him go to work, and just come home on weekends or something like that. I have no desire to move, and since I split custody of my kids 50/50 with their dad it's not really realistic to uproot the kids. Anyway, since it's just him going what kind of housing options are there? We're thinking something small and basic. We figured when he comes home we'd load up a cooler with foood to avoid the high grocery costs in the bush. That way he can cook and pack himself lunches for work. We figured he would just walk or take a cab to work. The money that goes with this job looks decent (100k+) and I work too so we THINK the income should be sufficient to support him there if he's frugal (which he's good at) and our main house here in Wasilla. Are we completely nuts? Is this workable? We know everything's expensive but just how expensive is housing? What should we expect? Right now airfares are about $250 on Alaska air and I plan on buying several weeks worth of tickets at once so that it's far enough in advance to not pay atrocious amounts for a 1 hour flight. I figure since we are already Alaskans we have a leg up on other folks coming straight to the bush from the lower 48 :-) Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lellenn View Post
Hi. I have lived here in Alaska since 2002, mostly in Anchorage, and the last few years in Wasilla. My husband has lived here his whole life - in Wasilla since 1984. He's been looking for work, and it's looking like a possibility of getting hired out in Bethel. He's never been there, and we are planning to have him go to work, and just come home on weekends or something like that. I have no desire to move, and since I split custody of my kids 50/50 with their dad it's not really realistic to uproot the kids. Anyway, since it's just him going what kind of housing options are there? We're thinking something small and basic. We figured when he comes home we'd load up a cooler with foood to avoid the high grocery costs in the bush. That way he can cook and pack himself lunches for work. We figured he would just walk or take a cab to work. The money that goes with this job looks decent (100k+) and I work too so we THINK the income should be sufficient to support him there if he's frugal (which he's good at) and our main house here in Wasilla. Are we completely nuts? Is this workable? We know everything's expensive but just how expensive is housing? What should we expect? Right now airfares are about $250 on Alaska air and I plan on buying several weeks worth of tickets at once so that it's far enough in advance to not pay atrocious amounts for a 1 hour flight. I figure since we are already Alaskans we have a leg up on other folks coming straight to the bush from the lower 48 :-) Thanks for your help!
I'd check int0 Ravn since they have a great rewards program for flights (if they fly to Bethel, which I think they do). I believe it is every five flights gets you a free one.

Rent will be expensive. Will probably be hard to find.
Personally, I know lots of folks that take jobs on the slope that start out flying back to the village bi-weekly, until those extra costs start to add up.

Let's say the place to rent is $1500 month, plus your tickets at $1k month, that is $2500 just in those two alone.
Your 100k job is now paying you about 70k. Plus the stress, and weather issues (flight may not happen).

Old 04-28-2017, 01:30 PM

459 posts, read 586,696 times
Haolejohn is correct and if you really plan to commute I personally think it foolish. What's the point if you have to dilute it to a normal salary when all said and done. Unless of course he can't find work locally.

Aside from that keep in mind that Bethel is a real chit hole ...

Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Aside from that keep in mind that Bethel is a real chit hole ...
Okay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska