Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times

Advertisements

OK folks, the only, and the Last great race will be starting, relatively speaking, soon. Ever since we stayed at that bed and breakfast run by Kelly Williams and Rick Swenson we have followed the race.(Rick was not around during the days we stayed there in Carlo Heights, he was off gold mining, or so we were told) I read that he was the 68th musher to register. There are other familiar names Anderson, Buser, Gebhardt, another Iten, Ms. Jonrowe, King, Mackey, Redingtons- Ryan and Ray Jr., Seaveys-Mitch and Dallas, Sousa and Zirkle. I try to stick closely to the computer. Yeah, I know, here I am in N.C. several thousand miles and more time zones than california away. I wish all the mushers "Good Luck" and hope all of the dogs come through this race well. Last years deaths were painful to me, I know what it is like to be owned by a good dog, the bond is strong. Two questions, 1. Who are your favorite mushers. 2. Who do you think will win (please do not answer "the first one to reach Nome and the finish line")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Have you considered becoming an Iditarod insider? The Iditarod Insider

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Have you considered becoming an Iditarod insider? The Iditarod Insider
I had been for years, got hurt on the job a couple of years ago and just haven't had the extra cash to do it again----yet!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,366,267 times
I'm getting excited found out my schedule at work did get changed and now I'm off the Sat. night before the Willow start. I can get a good nights sleep before we hit the "ice"

My favorites don't necessarily have anything to do with winning They have to do with stories I've heard or seen that capture their personality. (valid or not, I don't know since I've never met them) But what's important is the message they all put out as athletes, dog owners and sportsmen.

I didn't see that Jen Seavey is in it this year. (the young Seavey's wife) I read a nice write up on her last year. And of course we have our Rookie Jamaican Wonder if his sponsor Jimmy B. will be on Lake Nancy this year???

Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,461,543 times
Hi, friends! You know, the races named in Russian "Надежда 2010" ("Hope 2010")will be in Chukotka (Russia, close Alaska over Bering strait) in March this year.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
1. Who are your favorite mushers.
Sebastian Schnuelle, Gotta love that hair doo

Although Lance runs neck and neck. As far as Lance goes he is a very aggressive musher, doesn't care what other people think, has the drive to be a champion and the best team on the snow.. I bet he is going to miss Larry and Larry will miss the trail this year for sure!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,745,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Hi, friends! You know, the races named in Russian "Надежда 2010" ("Hope 2010")will be in Chukotka (Russia, close Alaska over Bering strait) in March this year.
do they do any media coverage?? any links to see pictures of the race??

Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Here's my favorite local Iditarod website out of Unalakleet. The school kids do live streaming video & interviews:

BSSD IditaProject - IditaProject Forums

cabella's used to be a great forum, but now it's:

The Official Site of the Iditarod®

which has a forum, great on the trail video footage & live streaming.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Here's my favorite local Iditarod website out of Unalakleet.

Oh wow, I have a friend down here named Walter, he's a Yupik, says he used to watch/man the checkpoint there in Unalakleet. (He does get a bit testy when people accuse him of being a Mexican) N.C. has thousands of Mexicans, I like Hispanics, something about the times I spent in C. and S. America, anyway, their influx has most definately improved the standard of the food in Mexican Restaurants down here. I also speak pretty good Spanish,(without a gringo accent), a souvenier of my seriously ill-spent youth.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 20,399 times
I'm rooting for the SP Kennel team of Aliy Zirckle and Allan Moore. Great info and race updates at their site. The SP Kennel Dog Log
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska