Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
lots of moss on the fish truck is so when CC shoots back the moss protects the truck!!! hahaha
Maybe so, if CC ever dares to get uppity enough to actually shoot back but so far he hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe so, if CC ever dares to get uppity enough to actually shoot back but so far he hasn't.
He's quiet the past few days!!! still at Jackson Barrett auction is he???

Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
The OP mentioned the Hoh Rainforest in Washington. Honestly, I haven't found anywhere up here that has quite the character of that place, though my travels in southern southeast are very limited. The Hoh has a very long growing season, very little snow, an abundance of Big Leaf Maple (which have a symbiotic relationship with the moss), and lots of Roosevelt Elk whose browsing habits open up the forest floor and make it look like a park. If you're looking for other areas like that, the western coast of Vancouver Island is the place.

This is actually in the Quinault Valley, two drainages south of the Hoh (along Graves Creek Road), same difference.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The OP mentioned the Hoh Rainforest in Washington. Honestly, I haven't found anywhere up here that has quite the character of that place, though my travels in southern southeast are very limited.
Wow. Yeah, seeing that photo I would be hard-pressed to say that Alaska has anything like that. That looks more like a cloud-rain-forest to me (heavy fog), a lot of epiphytes, bryophytes, etc.

Cloud forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
It's not always foggy there, but it is always wet. The longer growing season definetely gives it some different plant communities than the SE Alaska rainforest.

Ents live there too:

Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I don't know Alaska as an expert. My drive up from Washington last year to Seward missed the South Alaska. In my drive even the areas around Hyder AK in the very south didn't look like Hoh Rain Forest. It is a very look beautiful in it's own right. More ice and trees are not as big in Alaska, and lots of Tundra.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 AM

258 posts, read 560,629 times
Ents? Like REAL ones?!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
When I worked on Kuiu Island southeast AK, back in '79', that place was creepy with moss. You could walk silently through the woods across a blanket of moss that was a foot thick.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 AM

124 posts, read 276,715 times
I've spent some time in the Hoh Rain Forest - GORGEOUS place.

You can read some basic information about moss in Alaska here: Moss of Alaska: Photos

Or, alternatively, the Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides give some information how to address moss in your lawn here: Moss in Lawns (http://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/moss/mossinlawns.html - broken link)

According to Alaska in Pictures there is a moss carpet in the Katmai National Park Forest Moss Katmai National Park Alaska

But for something really more like the Hoh you'd probably like the Old Growth Forest on Kodiak Island
Accent Alaska Stock Images (http://www.accentalaska.com/lightbox/index/detail/55479 - broken link)

Old 01-30-2010, 03:16 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
I did a survey once on the Kustatan wetlands, across Cook Inlet from the Kenai Peninsula. There was spongy tundra that moved like a waterbed when I walked across it. Very cool. Each step sent a wave ahead of me, but I did not fear dropping through. It was earth, but so wet that it was like a big sponge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska