Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
How would you know what either of us are even talking about?
Because this a public forum and I can see everything you and any other member writes + you quoted him/her + I read your response.

Your argument seems to be...since there are glaciers in the -48's, there is little value on coming to Alaska to see them.
Would you say the same about Nepal? There are mountains in every country, so why would you travel all the way to Nepal just to see Mt. Everest, another mountain just bigger...

I don't see how we are actually having a debate about whether or not people have different interests and therefore value activities differently.

Pretend we are in the first grade: Joe and Sally go to Walmart to buy printer paper. There are two brands, HP and Walmart. They both cost $5 a bundle. HP's bundle has 500 sheets, while Walmart's has 1000 sheets. You are saying, someone has the ability to dictate which brand will hold more value for Joe and Sally. I'm saying, it depends on each person. One might want higher quality paper, while the other might want scratch paper. Do you understand that not everyone values everything the same! lol

Anyways, we're going in circles, if we can't find any common ground, let's just agree to disagree

Last edited by Jonotastic; 10-16-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Because this a public forum and I can see everything you and any other member writes + you quoted him/her + I read your response.
That doesn't answer the question. How can you know what we are talking about (in the context of your statement that I don't understand what he is saying). His experience and mine do happen to be similar in many ways, and we probably understand each other's points to several orders of magnitude more precisely than your experience allows you to.

I wouldn't even begin to question your knowledge of Florida, for example... because I have absolutely no standing, no expertize, and equally don't have the unmitigated gall!

As I've noted, the problem a resource limited visitor to Alaska has is making up a priority list based on perspective and facts. Indeed, reasonable discussion of this topic also requires a great deal of perspective as well as facts. You appear to be a resource limited commentator...

Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 PM

I was born in Alaska and have spent more than half of my life there. I really don't want to get into a debate where it's well I lived 30 years here and you lived 15 years here, so my opinion is worth more. The time I lived in San Francisco, I knew more in and around that city than many locals I met because I was constantly traveling and exploring. While the length of your residency matters to a degree, it doesn't mean your opinion does or doesn't matter, but once again, I've spent more than half of my life in Alaska.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,171 times
Quote:
As I've noted, the problem a resource limited visitor to Alaska has is making up a priority list based on perspective and facts.
And their own ****ing interests!

Some people don't care even a tiny bit about walrus hunting! Really, it's true!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I was born in Alaska and have spent more than half of my life there.
And as I pointed out earlier, Alaska is a huge place and it makes no difference how long one has lived in only one part. If you don't have experience (as an adult too, not as a child growing up) with virtually all of Alaska, then it just is not rational to think you have the necessary perspective to make comparisons.

Regardless of that, you don't seem to be able or even want to attempt a logical discussion of the details that have been posted; instead it's just this personal crap "you don't understand".

Get used to it, I do understand, and can discuss it in detail until the cows come home. Even with people who haven't yet given it much thought and need a push... :-)

Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
And as I pointed out earlier, Alaska is a huge place and it makes no difference how long one has lived in only one part. If you don't have experience (as an adult too, not as a child growing up) with virtually all of Alaska, then it just is not rational to think you have the necessary perspective to make comparisons.

Regardless of that, you don't seem to be able or even want to attempt a logical discussion of the details that have been posted; instead it's just this personal crap "you don't understand".

Get used to it, I do understand, and can discuss it in detail until the cows come home. Even with people who haven't yet given it much thought and need a push... :-)
Keep thinking that if it gets you by

Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
And their own ****ing interests!

Some people don't care even a tiny bit about walrus hunting! Really, it's true!
lol.

I'm one of them, I would never want to witness a beautiful animal such as a Walrus or a Whale being killed and gutted, but I guess by the time I'm 60, I'll come to my senses and realize that anyone who doesn't find this act a magical experience has obviously no knowledge about Alaska...sigh...maybe someday...I thought I enjoyed climbing on a glacier, I think it was a valuable experience, but who am I to say how I felt...

Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
So many great posts that I can't rep the posters because of other great posts they've made in this thread. It would seem that the OP has the time and resources to do what he fancies & y'all have given him some great options. Floyd have you ever played well with others?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,411 times
Quote:
lol.

I'm one of them, I would never want to witness a beautiful animal such as a Walrus or a Whale being killed and gutted, but I guess by the time I'm 60, I'll come to my senses and realize that anyone who doesn't find this act a magical experience has obviously no knowledge about Alaska...sigh...maybe someday...I thought I enjoyed climbing on a glacier, I think it was a valuable experience, but who am I to say how I felt...
well, i find caribou and moose beautiful. and tasty.
i'd even eat a supermodel if it meant survival. once you start valuing animals more for aesthetic beauty over food, you're well on your way to joining PETA and crying at bambi...

Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
well, i find caribou and moose beautiful. and tasty.
i'd even eat a supermodel if it meant survival. once you start valuing animals more for aesthetic beauty over food, you're well on your way to joining PETA and crying at bambi...
[sarcasm=on]
Oh goodness, you need to learn to eat only chicken and beef and pigs and other things that are ugly at the time they are manufactured in the back room of the grocery store and never have to die or feel pain just so you can eat...
[/sarcasm]

Por favor, amigo. Pass the maktaq!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska