Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 PM

38 posts, read 222,494 times

Advertisements

Those of you who live there, or have in the past.. What is the best city for a first time visit to Alaska? Also, how long do you suggest the trip be? I would imagine 1 week is no where close to enough. 2 weeks good?

I would love to see the mountains. Big city is no big deal to me, however, would have to fly there of course. Would love to do some great fishing! Gosh, I don't know what else to ask to see. I'm very boring for my trips. I just love scenery. Example. I've been to Ireland. Dublin was a waste. But absolutely loved the west coast. Which was just all hills and winding roads and greenery, etc. Oh and I'm big on small town life!

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times
I would start at Anchorage since you will be flying, rent a car and head down to the Kenai Peninsula, visit Seward and then head over to visit Homer will see quite a bit of scenry and possible wildlife as well as fish. Heading north after that if you have time, only because the Kenai Peninsula offers fishing out in the ocean and heading north you go inland. Some beautiful country though, you will travel through some quaint little towns such as Willow, Talkeetna some just big enough to be a small dot on the map.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 PM

144 posts, read 744,153 times
Tressa's got the right idea. An alternative/variant would be to do fishing in Valdez, then head north - you can drive to Denali if you are interested in that. Also can drive to Denali from Anchorage (or the glass-top train which is fantastic!).

You will be surprised how much the coast looks like Ireland! We just have these incredible peaks that complement greenery!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:53 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times
Oh the glass-top view car of Alaska Railroad is wonderful, we did that one year actually spotted an eagles nest at eye level quite impressive. Going to Denali is a great trip too but don't be surprised if you don't see the mountain from up there, we have a better view of Mt McKinley from my office in Anchorage but if you catch it on a good day which is about 25% of year nothing will beat the view. But then I'm pregidest when it comes to Alaska

Last edited by Tressa; 07-13-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-13-2007, 05:06 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
You basically have two choices for city. Anchorage and Fairbanks. Land in either one and you'll see mountains. Definately drive south out of Anchorage. You'll be right in the mountains and the scenery is awesome.
I've never ridden the train north. That sounds like it might be nice.

Last edited by Rance; 07-14-2007 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
The drive to Valdez is one of my favorite ones, a lot of scenery

Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 AM

52 posts, read 461,485 times
Default Nice pictures

Those are beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing them. For someone wanting a vacation to AK, who is looking for pretty scenery but not much interested in urban life, urban culture, etc., I agree with what has already been posted, but would add that driving north along the Parks Highway is very nice for scenery. If going to down towards Kenai, Hope is a really nice little town to stop off at, and the ride into Hope is nice as well.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 AM

4 posts, read 90,437 times
Im new and say they are nice pics. Would love to live there!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
I like the next to last pic, looks like the entrance to the Keystone Canyon. I can't even fit Bridal Veil falls in one frame, I can only do it in 2frames at best. Three Sisters Falls are pretty too.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,580 times
1st time visit? Try a cruise. Honestly.
Compare the cost of plane tickets, car rental, motels, etc. with a cruise ticket.
You'll hit at least 6 differnet places on a cruise. Then afterwards pick a fav.
Look at the off season also. Save a ton and see Alaska at it's best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska