Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 51,272 times

Advertisements

Fishing... small town life... beautiful scenery.... South East Alaska is ALL of that and MORE I think a cruise would be the way to go as well. One that goes all the way up and stops a night or two here & there.

I had some friends from Tampa come up on a cruise last month. They landed in Ketchikan, Juneau and all the other usual stops- she told me she LOVED it! But said there is NO WAY she could live up here because :

"I know why you love it so much, however, I could never live there, IT’s TOO COLD."

This was JULY in SE AK!! (they weer in Juneau on the 4th of July

LOL I got a kick out of that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,162 times
I like Tressa's idea of Anchorage-Seward-Homer for a fast 1 week trip. 2 weeks would allow you to add the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. The ideal would be to take 3 weeks and take the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry for one of the legs of your trip. Alaska is too scenic and large to do a "quickie" trip. Have a large card in your Digital Camera!
Will

Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 PM

52 posts, read 506,602 times
Default Ferry Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Due to budget cuts the marine highway will be canceling the passenger/cargo ferry to Bellingham at the end of this year, we were hoping to send our guns south on the ferry next year then was informed there won't be one.
Do you know for sure this is going to happen? Any idea when? Can we get out of here in December on the ferry? This could drasticaly cut short our ALaska working vacation! Tell me it isn't so!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Well, I hope it isn't the truth, and I think it may be a misconception. I've looked for info about that and can't find any. You'd think something that would affect so many people would be in the news and if it is, I can't locate it.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeky View Post
This was JULY in SE AK!! (they weer in Juneau on the 4th of July
Admittedly, we had a lousy 4th this year. Last year was so cool, remember? It rained all through the fireworks and the next morning but right during the parade in Juneau the clouds sorta' parted and there was sunshine. It was all very biblical.
August is really a better time to see SE if you don't like rain. However- if you don't like rain SE probably isn't for you anyway!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 AM

52 posts, read 506,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity7774 View Post
Those of you who live there, or have in the past.. What is the best city for a first time visit to Alaska? Also, how long do you suggest the trip be? I would imagine 1 week is no where close to enough. 2 weeks good?

I would love to see the mountains. Big city is no big deal to me, however, would have to fly there of course. Would love to do some great fishing! Gosh, I don't know what else to ask to see. I'm very boring for my trips. I just love scenery. Example. I've been to Ireland. Dublin was a waste. But absolutely loved the west coast. Which was just all hills and winding roads and greenery, etc. Oh and I'm big on small town life!

Thanks in Advance!
I would have to say that everyone is right! Cruises are probably cheaper in the long run, The ferry is worth every penny, and Seward, Homer, Denali, and Valdez are all places you want to see! It sounds like you would do well with a trip to all these places, maybe rent a motor home and go for it 2 nights in Seward, 3 in Homer, drive up to Talketna for a night, spend a nite or 2 doing the Denali thing and then head down to Valdez. Don't forget to allow time to go on a Kenai Fiords tour and/or a tour out of Valdez. It really does not matter how long your trip is it will never be long enough to see all there is to see.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,506 times
Smile Se Ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
A cruise really limits your viewing of Alaska, Southeast Alaska is beautiful indeed but it's not the real Alaska IMO, there is so much more to Alaska than the southeast islands.
I see this is an older post, but I was searching through for KTN entries, and this was on the list.

Funny - I have told others that SE AK is what I consider "true AK"! I guess it depends on how a person defines "true" AK.

Frankly, *all* of AK is... well, "true" AK, but culturally, when I was in ANC area, it didn't feel like "true" AK with everything I could find in the L48. But it had it's smatterings of culture in some of the shops and museums and when I was there - some things (e.g., moose) walking around that you wouldn't see in most L48 locations.

If tundra'd wilderness is one's "true" AK, then they'd be more liken to the central wilderness and drives between Alcan, ANC - F.B., etc.

If the frozen Arctic is one's "true" AK, then consider the North or West coastal areas.

If the Aleutians are one's "true" AK, then head SW.

And if the Inside passage full of waterways & fishing boats, tall Spruce & glaciers (also found in other places, but many folks visit them in the SE on tours), a high percentage of Native Alaskans and cultural icons like totem poles, community houses, cultural art in everyday living, & the like interest you... then tour the SE (although I'm guessing some will come back to post the "everyday art" found in their neck of the woods as well).

You can read my other (lengthy) posts on why I personally prefer the SE and all it has to offer, but as the poster noted above... "IM(H)O," SE AK is *my* "True AK".

And best of everything to you and your's!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
I see this is an older post, but I was searching through for KTN entries, and this was on the list.

Funny - I have told others that SE AK is what I consider "true AK"! I guess it depends on how a person defines "true" AK.

Frankly, *all* of AK is... well, "true" AK, but culturally, when I was in ANC area, it didn't feel like "true" AK with everything I could find in the L48. But it had it's smatterings of culture in some of the shops and museums and when I was there - some things (e.g., moose) walking around that you wouldn't see in most L48 locations.

If tundra'd wilderness is one's "true" AK, then they'd be more liken to the central wilderness and drives between Alcan, ANC - F.B., etc.

If the frozen Arctic is one's "true" AK, then consider the North or West coastal areas.

If the Aleutians are one's "true" AK, then head SW.

And if the Inside passage full of waterways & fishing boats, tall Spruce & glaciers (also found in other places, but many folks visit them in the SE on tours), a high percentage of Native Alaskans and cultural icons like totem poles, community houses, cultural art in everyday living, & the like interest you... then tour the SE (although I'm guessing some will come back to post the "everyday art" found in their neck of the woods as well).

You can read my other (lengthy) posts on why I personally prefer the SE and all it has to offer, but as the poster noted above... "IM(H)O," SE AK is *my* "True AK".

And best of everything to you and your's!
SE is a part of Alaska...but if you think it's the true "Alaska" your dreamin! Spend a year or two here...all over the state. Then consider making a call.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
SE is a part of Alaska...but if you think it's the true "Alaska" your dreamin! Spend a year or two here...all over the state. Then consider making a call.
Can I make a call?
I think everywhere but Anchorage is the true Alaska.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,506 times
Question Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Hello, Rance. To whom was this comment directed? It seems you have directed it towards me. Please clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska