Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,263 times

Advertisements

Was just reading recent findings from the the US census bureau regarding movement within the US.
It noted that California and Florida are no longer the states people are flocking to. So where are they going?
*Washington DC
*ALASKA
*Wyoming
Dang you guys are apparently living in the place to be!
Alaska saw a 6% jump in immigration to the state, a full percentage higher than the previous year.
Also Alaskans moved alot in state during 2008, 16.3% occupied a different house. That increased from 14.6% in 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
I would think that the movement to Alaska is skewed due to our low population numbers as a baseline.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
I wonder how many of those will make it the first year?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
That's interesting news, Jersey. Make you wonder whether all the publicity last year has anything to do with it.

I imagine that whether people make it through the first year or not will be at least partially dependent on their ability to find work, or the lack of same.

We're seeing a lot more retirees moving to the island.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
By the sheer amount of homes for sale around here, I'd say that quite a few have moved back south.

Just before moving here we had heard that the Mat-Su area was one of the largest growing areas in the US. Maybe that could explain the large amount of Aholes (new money type) in this area.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
By the sheer amount of homes for sale around here, I'd say that quite a few have moved back south.

Just before moving here we had heard that the Mat-Su area was one of the largest growing areas in the US. Maybe that could explain the large amount of Aholes (new money type) in this area.
Which area of the Valley have you noticed these types? I know there are sure alot of homes here in Wasilla and Palmer for sale.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM

I see them in the stores and on the highway. I call them "new money" because of their new wealth, as apposed to old money, those that have grown up with money for generations. A lot of the new money type act like they are better then everyone, hence the Ahole term.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:20 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,779,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Is there a place in the whole USA , now, that doesn't have a whole lot of homes for sale? Real Estate market sucks... so many people talk about being prisoners in their homes- can't sell it but must pay the mortgage...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Yeah, you have a point there.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Alaska is a terrible place to come to, the winter days are dark, cold and lonely... Many people get very depressed with the total lack of sunlight...

Living in the Bigger Cities are full of street people that didn't make it and are freezing to death like Popsicles in a box...

Nope, if you were down and out and desperate to find a new place to go... I would try Southern California where they have all sorts of free social programs and nobody has to work, they import illegals to come in and do the hard work for you so you can enjoy a life of leisure..

Alaska has Mosquito's so big they can drain your blood out in less than an hour while trying to fish or be out just enjoying the short summer daylight season....

Nope, moving to anyplace else is a much better option.... The ones of us that are here are trapped, there is a foreign country between us and you, they won't let us out and the airlines are having too much troubles in taking more than a few hundred a day out.... it is bad...

Any other horror stories that one could add.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska