Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 PM

11 posts, read 77,418 times

Advertisements

Mitridate, you would have to have 3 months of utility bills, a copy of a lease agreement, your visa, a valid hunting license and a passport or other government issued photo id in order to purchase a weapon as a non immigrant alien. I don't think you will able to qualify on all of the above, not to mention going through a background check, which can take days for a non immigrant alien. Pepper spray would be your best bet.

Your question about aquiring one through other means, well that one is a problem, it is against federal law to sell, give or supply one a firearm to a person that is not legally allowed to posess one.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 01:28 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Now that I can breathe again after these pictures of man-types crying, babbling, painted, and frozen....

Here is a link for bringing a firearm into the US and some license fees for non-US citizen at this site also, not sure how current the fees are though...

Alaskan Bear Hunts - Grizzly Bear Hunting - Moose Hunt Alaska - Kodiak Bear Hunts - Alaskatrophyhunting.com for information about outstanding Alaska Trophy Hunting.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninTN View Post
Mitridate, you would have to have 3 months of utility bills, a copy of a lease agreement, your visa, a valid hunting license and a passport or other government issued photo id in order to purchase a weapon as a non immigrant alien. I don't think you will able to qualify on all of the above, not to mention going through a background check, which can take days for a non immigrant alien. Pepper spray would be your best bet.

Your question about aquiring one through other means, well that one is a problem, it is against federal law to sell, give or supply one a firearm to a person that is not legally allowed to posess one.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.
You don't need all of that. You need a hunting license and there will be some paperwork in advance that needs to be approved. A gun can be brought into the country temporarily by a foreigner. Scroll down a bit here for some info: https://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/faqlic.html

It's not quite as simple as bringing a firearm into Canada but it's doable. If a non-resident alien wants to have a gun but can't/doesn't want to go through this hassle, they can take advantage of the fact that "antiques" are not "firearms" under federal law (so get a cheap, big bore muzzleloading gun).

Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default pepper spray

Does anyone remember how to find the thread with the story about the Japanese guys spraying each other with bear spray, thinking that it was some sort of bear-repellant? I almost spewed my tea on that one.

I too would recommend a big 8 oz. can of pepper spray, particularly if it's the only alternative to carrying nothing at all. Buy a pair of Carhartts pants with the tool pockets on the side, the bear spray cans fit there perfectly and you hardly notice you're carrying anything at all.

Even though I usually carry a .44mag when hiking around here, the pepper spray still goes along too. Given the chance I'd much rather spray a bear than shoot one in self defense. It's not that I feel all that sorry for the bears, in fact we've got WAY too many of them around here. It's just that if you kill one, the paperwork is a huge PITA and you're legally required to skin and skull the carcass to turn both in to the Game & Fish people. Not the most pleasant task even if you're doing it for yourself, let alone when you can't keep anything except your cold, blood-soaked clothes for all that effort.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM

149 posts, read 366,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You might trying buying a can of pepper spray over at Sportsmans Wharehouse once you get here. I've carried the stuff and it works. At least when I accidentally sprayed myself it worked really good.

UDAP Bear Deterrent Pepper Spray
HA HA thats steanken funny!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:45 PM

11 posts, read 77,418 times
arctic, the op had posted a question about purchasing a shotgun, the steps I outlined are what's required for a non resident alien to purchase one, it would actually be easier to bring one with him rather than purchasing one here. HTH to clear things up. Dan.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 10,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWord View Post
Where will you be spending your time?
I know a guide outfit that takes several German hunters out each year, I could put you in touch with them and they could tell you the specifics of your chosen area.
Sounds good, would be great if you could put me in touch with that guy,
thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 10,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You don't need all of that. You need a hunting license and there will be some paperwork in advance that needs to be approved. A gun can be brought into the country temporarily by a foreigner. Scroll down a bit here for some info: https://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/faqlic.html

It's not quite as simple as bringing a firearm into Canada but it's doable. If a non-resident alien wants to have a gun but can't/doesn't want to go through this hassle, they can take advantage of the fact that "antiques" are not "firearms" under federal law (so get a cheap, big bore muzzleloading gun).
thanks for the valuable input!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM

179 posts, read 594,917 times
www.sandyjamieson.com

Sandy, also a popular Alaskan artist, flies folks out to the Porcupine River area for my friend's outfit.
He would be the best local point of contact that I know of for trips to the interior. Tom is out by the Old Crow right now, and Iridium service is spotty at the moment. But he's a fluent German speaker, and very in touch with your culture. His clients are primarily European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: