Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,148,232 times

Advertisements

Mitridate - the 90 day rule is going to be your problem (you must be resident for 90 consecutive days)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well maybe it's just me but I'd want more than pepper spray. Pepper spray doesn't always work, and sometimes the wind just blows it in your own face.
Yep, and after you spray yourself in the face your spinn'n around in wild circles with your thumb still on the trigger. Trust me, the bear is gonna get some. If not your gonna look like some kind of rabid animal and they'll leave you alone.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yep, and after you spray yourself in the face your spinn'n around in wild circles with your thumb still on the trigger. Trust me, the bear is gonna get some. If not your gonna look like some kind of rabid animal and they'll leave you alone.
Besides, the bear wouldn't want that much pepper on it's food.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Well, I'll just use the gun first, and the pepper spray afterwards to season the bear.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Besides, the bear wouldn't want that much pepper on it's food.
Bears love the smell of the bear spray. It attracts them...

Old 02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Lone Traveler is getting better at hiding himself. Now he's from Europe...

Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
The bear would have a problem eating you. After all, it's hard to run and chase down prey when you're rolling on the ground laughing hysterically.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 PM

179 posts, read 595,046 times
I have some neighborhood dogs who will run out into the road and get under your tires.
I try to shoo them away, but they just keep coming back, barking and jumping up on the vehicle. I didn't want to hurt them (badly), so I started carrying a small can of cheapo bear repellent that I normally keep on my 4 wheeler.

A few days later, the dogs ran out to greet my work van, so I leaned out the driver's window and hosed them down - well, it's tough to judge the wind when sitting in a vehicle.
The wind had reversed, and managed to return every single droplet right into my face.
I swerved to miss the dogs and ended up right in a ditch, crying and babbling, with dogs barking and scratching up my van outside.
It was awesome.

Dogs 1, me 0

Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 PM

351 posts, read 686,347 times
Now that I've stopped laughing so hard that I can type again....

Yep, the wind can be tricky. Anything you spray can end up on you.
I haven't done it with Bear Spray, but I have spray painted my face a couple of times. What you can't wash off with solvent only lasts about a week, and I needed a haircut anyway. The solvent left me with what appeared to be a bad sunburn.

I've also painted my whole body once using an air sprayer - whoever invented water based latex acrylic paint deserves a medal. I was wearing a tyvek paint suit and goggles so the damage wasn't that bad.

Speaking of paint solvents ... many, many years ago, I was working on a construction site and managed to spill a good amount of paint thinner in my errr... lap. Wasn't able to wash up until I got home many hours later. After the pain ended and the redness went away - I had peeling skin in places the sun don't shine. Kind of looked like I was molting.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
I was filling a 100# propane tank one time in the spring, I didn't check the tank out before I started filling it up. The bottom was rusted out and I'm glad that I had bunny boots and snowpants on, the bottom split out and I got a propane bath from my boots to my knees, the propane froze my boots and snowpants solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: