Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM

70 posts, read 159,783 times

Advertisements

I'm making plans to relocate to Wasilla in April from WV. Aside from finding housing and employment, I also need to transport several firearms and ammo along with my other stuff.

I'm currently employed in Telecommunications and hope to find work in that area once I'm settled in if I can't find anything open between now and the beginning of April.

From what I've been able to ascertain, it would be best if I avoided Canada altogether (weapons plus no passport) and stick to the Alaska Marine Highway to get me up close to Anchorage. Would I need to take the Ferry to Whittier or Homer?

Thanks!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
Whittier is about 50 miles from Anchorage and Homer is 250 miles or so. Go to Whittier.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

70 posts, read 159,783 times
10-4, JavaPhil, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Whittier is about 50 miles from Anchorage and Homer is 250 miles or so. Go to Whittier.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,857 times
Welcome to the Wasilla area, hemidude

Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Yeah but there are better bars in Homer...

Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Wasilla?

From my point of view it is the worst of Alaska. The scenery though is quite lovely, but I can't think of much else to recommend it.

Have you considered other parts of the state?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,988 times
Default Ahem!

Although I live in Palmer I have to stick up for Wasilla. Even neighbors who don't like each other stick together when attacked after all.

Most people pick Wasilla for these reasons.

1. Its close enough to Anchorage to commute if needed.
2. The weather is warmer than Willow northward.
3. The weather is dryer than SE.
4. Kenai, PWS, Copper, and interior are about the same distance.
5. They have an OK school system, as public schools go.

Those are just a few reasons.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:31 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,432,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Although I live in Palmer I have to stick up for Wasilla. Even neighbors who don't like each other stick together when attacked after all.

Most people pick Wasilla for these reasons.

1. Its close enough to Anchorage to commute if needed.
2. The weather is warmer than Willow northward.
3. The weather is dryer than SE.
4. Kenai, PWS, Copper, and interior are about the same distance.
5. They have an OK school system, as public schools go.

Those are just a few reasons.
Yes, I agree with you Marty. Wasilla is no worse then any other city and does have it's own beauty.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM

145 posts, read 570,456 times
Thanks Marty...well said.

My kid is down in Seward going to school and there are perfect strangers hating on the Valley. Jeeze. I know...Valley Trash

I know I haven't been here too long, but...here is my VHO.

Yup, my address *is* Wasilla, but I live out there...in my own little valley. I did want to live waaaaaay out, but, now, in retrospect, we made the right choice. I never hear a car unless it belongs to us, once I get the gardening/little farm-deal/wood-cutting thing fully going, there would barely be a reason for me to come off my Mt. more than once a month....let alone drive to Anchorage. BUT, if someone gets sick or injured...we are there in 20 or so minutes.

I could not be happier...well, unless the guy who owned this would give it up and sell the adjoining 10 acres :-).

My internal View of Wasilla is that of loveliness, solitude, absolute privacy, and...when I go into town...super-fantastic friendly people.

You know...'the mind is a place in itself...it can make a Heaven of a Hell or a Hell of a Heaven." I never thought I would be so close to Heaven

The only thing I regret is the public school system is not working for my 10 year old grandson. Not one bit.

Deb

Old 01-21-2009, 05:25 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,857 times
I was going to chime in with virtually the same post, Magoon (Deb ) and Marty. Residing outside of Wasilla is perfect for us at this time in our lives...we are a few minutes from the deep mountains in one direction and the ocean in the opposite direction. People are friendly but not nosy, I've found...and for this recluse, I really don't have to interact with a person if I choose not to.
Where you reside is what you make of it...if you are bitter and jaded as a norm, chances are you will be anywhere your rump rests.

But I am very sorry to hear the school system is letting your grandson down. It is difficult and I fretted on my own son. Aside from typical teenage antics, he has acclimated quite well and is thriving in his studies.

Last edited by HighlandLady; 01-21-2009 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska