Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM

70 posts, read 159,833 times

Advertisements

At least in the vicinity of Wasilla or Palmer - sorry, I'm still learning the area looking at maps via Google AND reading every "moving to Alaska" thread that I can find. I don't have any preferences outside of not wanting to live in Anchorage. I don't care for city life and since I'm single, I don't need anything more than a hole in the wall for a place to live - small house, cabin, garage apt., etc.

So being out in the rural parts suits me fine but eight months of winter isn't all that appealing the more I think about it.

I'll keep praying about it, that's for sure.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM

218 posts, read 518,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post

The only thing I regret is the public school system is not working for my 10 year old grandson. Not one bit.

Deb
What specifically is failing him? Please elaborate, as someone who will likely be putting my kids into the system in the future I'd like to know what challenges other children are facing. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 PM

145 posts, read 570,729 times
OMG if I hadn't spoken with the teacher and the principal myself, I would not have believed it; I am a teacher, and know the pressures on teachers, so I always try to be very careful in these situations...but WOWSER.

This problem is hopefully limited to a specific school. You could PM me if you'd like.

Deb

Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM

23 posts, read 55,793 times
Hi Derek,

I understand not wanting to live in "the city" but compared to most lower 48 cities, Anchorage is still a small town. There are a few pockets of traffic around rush hour downtown or on Tudor Rd, but it's not bad....well, it wasn't bad coming from So Cal anyway. I lived in Anchorage and felt it was the perfect blend of town and country. I could drive 3 minutes to the grocery store, or go to the coastal trails and be in peaceful wilderness. I watched whales swim by in the inlet as I listened to my ipod on my morning walk. If you are concerned at all with beautiful views, Anchorage is the place to be IMO. I never made it further south than Seward, but between there and Fairbanks, Anchorage is the top for mountain/ocean views. Speaking of "8 months of winter" (it's really not that bad), Anchorage does not get as cold as Wasilla/Palmer usually. I really do like the valley area too, it's quite nice. I'm just saying, Anchorage really isn't all that "big." You can find very nice spots in town. I lived in Midtown near Lake Otis Pkwy and 56th....semi-busy area but I never had one issue with crime. Anyway, I've rambled quite a bit.....I'll just end with this: Most of the good jobs are closer to Anchorage and I would not want to make that commute every day from the valley. REALLY something to consider!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM

823 posts, read 1,733,387 times
I think everybody has a different idea of what a small town is. I grew up in a town of 400 so Wasilla seems large to me though I've lived in bigger since (didn't like any of them). But shellbell is right Anchorage is not that big it has a smaller feel to it than most towns I've been to that size. I don't think I would ever live in a place with that many people though. I like the space that the valley offers. Prices for housing are much more reasonable and if you aren't commuting everyday why deal with it.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
At least in the vicinity of Wasilla or Palmer - sorry, I'm still learning the area looking at maps via Google AND reading every "moving to Alaska" thread that I can find. I don't have any preferences outside of not wanting to live in Anchorage. I don't care for city life and since I'm single, I don't need anything more than a hole in the wall for a place to live - small house, cabin, garage apt., etc.
Wasilla just isn't my type of place; too many big box stores and no real "there" there and it's growing quite quickly. Palmer has more of a community feel to it. It feels more established and secure.

Willow is all right but it's microclimate can mean colder temps and more summer rain than the surrounding areas. I've always sort of liked it there though.

I don't know what to tell you about eight months of winter; that didn't used to bother me but anymore...I won't be doing it either.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM

And...

I wasn't exactly "attacking" Wasilla, Marty--it really is possible to express a negative opinion of a place to live without "attacking" it. I can see moving to Wasilla for a job if one must; I was merely curious about why someone would focus on Wasilla instead of other areas of the state.

I'm sorry to hear about the young gentleman that's having a rough time in the school system there.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
We moved to Wasilla because, well, it got us here in AK. We were able to secure a lease over the internet/Craigslist for a nice home with great landlords. We don't plan on staying in this location though.

You're right Met, there is no town feel here, no feeling part of anything, just the masses. Our plans are to move, maybe over toward the Palmer area, maybe somewhere else. Time will tell.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM

145 posts, read 570,729 times
Oh, yeah, I do know what you mean when you talk about the city of Wasilla. IF I had to live close to, or in the city, I wouldn't. I would have gone somewhere else. But...if you live waay out in the boonies...you'd never know it was Wasilla

We found a piece of land out in Sutton that was to die for. Literally brought tears to my eyes. IF we had each been 10-15 years younger, we'd be there now. Yup, now that I'm thinking about Sutton...wow.

Deb

Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM

I agree; there is some beautiful land around Sutton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska