Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 46,660 times

Advertisements

I've just found this forum....hello!

I live in southeastern NC and for the last several years, I've had this yearning to go to Alaska. I'm a registered nurse and am considering becoming a travel nurse to see the USA and be able to see the place that is at the top of my list....Alaska.

The state is luring me like a seductive lover and it is increasingly becoming what I spend my time fantasizing about. I would like to go in the summer where I can take advantage of the long days. On my days off from work, I want to see everything I can possibly see.....bears, all the wildlife, take flight tours, boat tours, see all the towns that I possibly can.

Is there something wrong with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Yes, you're not here yet!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Nothing wrong with you. I have a friend who's a travel nurse and she loves it.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
I would say go for it, what better opportunity could you have to have your travels paid for in full, short of personal adventures, which are quite affordable at that point...

Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Don't wait till the summer, go as soon as you can & stay for as long as you can.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Inthesouth.....there are a ton of travel companies out there, I would suggest you be a gather-er of info. I looked into travelling to facilitate our move up there, and I decided against it, for now. Be prepared for quite a few months of prep work....
Most companies, especially if you want a remote community, want to see a strong clinical background of a few years.
Dawn

Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 46,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
Inthesouth.....there are a ton of travel companies out there, I would suggest you be a gather-er of info. I looked into travelling to facilitate our move up there, and I decided against it, for now. Be prepared for quite a few months of prep work....
Most companies, especially if you want a remote community, want to see a strong clinical background of a few years.
Dawn
Thanks for your reply Dawn! I've been an RN for 15 years, and have worked a medical floor of a hospital for 2 and a half years. Before that I was in home health. What area of nursing did you wind up doing and what route do you suggest?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 AM

44 posts, read 98,220 times
Haha I don't blame you for wanting to get out of Eastern NC. I am on my way out and up too.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:27 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,901 times
inthesouth -
You're quite welcome ....
My background is MedSurg, ER and also some Home Health. I made a LOT of calls to hospitals to find out info, and I was 1 of a thousand calling to say "I want to move to Alaska." The proof of sincerity was having a start date I could be available AND I had applied and gotten my AK license.

The hospitals in AK pay a very pretty penny for travel nurses and I decided against that route because we planned on moving here and being part of the industry/community. I didn't want to appear as I decieved an employer, and also some contracts bar you from employment with your assigned place for a period of time.

If you only want to "see" what it's like up here for an assignment, you can search for agencies and pick of thousands of 'em that fill openings in AK. I'd suggest you get educated on the travel side then, as it can be like owning your own business. Who would pay for the AK license? What housing is avail? What benfits are paid/not paid? etc.

Dawn

Old 10-06-2008, 02:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Also what would be the most practical vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska