Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Just be informed about where you decide to go. The rural areas of Alaska need nurses in a bad way but they are not always the nicest places to go. I have lived in Alaska for 11 years and have just recently become a nurse. I want to travel outside of Alaska, haha. Anyway, be careful and do your homework if you decide to take a travel assignment off the road system (Nome, Dillingham, Barrow, Bethel, Kotzebue, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Kodiak, etc). It is a different world that you have to be prepared for or you will not like it. Let me know if you want any specific information about a specific area. I'd be glad to help, and Alaska IS AWESOME! Make sure you like winter, though, if you come up now!
I could use some help. I am looking at Barrow, Kotzebue, Nome, Bethel. all those you mentioned. I am doing a contract now, I would be coming up in very early June. I would appreciate any help. If you could write to my e mail that would be better. kasababay@hotmail.com thank you. any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:18 PM

284 posts, read 405,340 times
We are both RN's living in Sitka. I graduated from East Carolina some time ago and worked at Pitt Memorial for several yrs. Also Alaska(15 yrs ago and back again) Florida, Maine, Montana. Give a shout at rntim1@yahoo with any questions, be glad to answer anything I can! Wife is med/surg, I'm critical care.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,382 times
I just read your note. How do you like working in the southern states? I am going to ask my travel agency to get me a contract for Barrow starting in June. the contract should be 13 weeks, If I survive and like it. I will repeat another contract. But I rather start just with one. Any suggestions? You will love working in the southern states... I guess this time the culture shock will be for you!!
Estelle.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:54 AM

We liked the south for a while but glad to be back in Alaska. Good luck in Barrow! At least you picked a decent time of the year to go!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,605 times
Ladies and gents,
What pay per hour and per diem should I expect in Dillingham, Alaska? I will be negotiating my contract in a day or so and have a Strong feeling my company is low-balling me.
Thanks, stressing over the details

Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Most RN's with experience get in the $40/hr range of course that does not include housing. You can always work directly for the tribe as most all hospitals in Alaska are tribally run including the ANMC in Anchorage. When I worked in Kotzebue I got about $36/hr + essentially free housing. Travel to and from was included. Which company?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM

Making a bit over 40/hr in Sitka and am not a traveler. There are a few down here but I'm not about to ask'em what they are making. ANMC is a great place to work in Anchorage, wife loved it.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM

21 posts, read 35,133 times
Working in the Ketchikan Peace Health ED this summer on a temp assignment. Anyone have first hand experience in the hospital?

Looking forward to the opportunity!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,072 times
I was thinking of taking a contract this summer in Alaska,my first choice is Juneau.I was wondering what hospitals supply housing and what is the best way to go for higher paying positions.I would like to make money and be able to save as much as I can. What are some ways to maximize your resources such as housing ,vehicle and still take home a decent amount of money with a travel contract? Robin

Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 PM

57 posts, read 56,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dltrease View Post
I'm a travel nurse on my first assignment. I've been here 1 month. I am at Cordova Medical Center Clinic and I have to say it is absolutely beautiful. It is like a hidden town. Cordova Alaska really only has two main roads. It has one taxi service that only runs from 3pm-4am Monday- Saturday. No buses. So if you want to plan on something and don't want to walk, you have to plan your way around the taxi service. The Alaskan Hotel has a special right now that is $50-$75 a night depending if you want your own bathroom and want a tv. These prices are goo until March. If you're here during the winter you'll need knee high boots with good tread and pull on cleats over your shoes are given to you at the hospital if you work for them. You'll also need rain gear summer or winter because it rains here a lot. You will also need a scarf for your neck and face, as well as a ski cap and mask, and don't forget to bring 2-3 pair of gloves and a heavy duty coat.Cordova also only has two grocery stores. One is the AC store and the other one is called the Nichols Backdoor Store. Food and drink are really expensive here because it has to be flown in or come on a barge. Food is almost double what you have to pay anywhere else. The locals around here will get on the Alaska Marine Highway site online and find out when the ferry, "Fairweather", will be running. The prices are on the site as well. People usually go to Anchorage Alaska around 2 times a year and stock up for 6 months at a time. I got here on Nov. 17. So far I have seen 2 sea otters, black birds, ravens, sea gulls, and an eagle. I'm suppose to leave February 17 so I'm hoping to see other Alaskan wildlife. Travel nurses have to walk to work and in the winter it can be very harsh even here, because of the hard winds, and rain, ice, and slush. So you coming in the summer might be ideal. The phone number for the taxi is 907-253-5151. It's dark here a lot during the time that I'm here over the winter. The hospital right now has 10 residents FOR long term care. We have two emergency rooms. Anything that requires a CAT scan has to be medivac out of here. Maternity patients have to go to Anchorage 3 weeks before their due date. We do have the capability of delivering a baby but we don't have a surgeon here. I'm from Northwest Florida and I'm in awe of the beautiful snow, and snow covered mountains. The hospital gives you a nice furnished apartment, with pots, pans, bowls, plates, silverware, towels, wash clothes, broom, vacuum cleaner. You will have cable tv, wireless internet, dishwasher, garbage disposal, free utilities, and free garbage service, free telephone. ATT phone service works up here and so does Verizon. Teen Mobile doesn't work here. This community helps each other out. It is unbelievable. I Love It Up Here. Other places may not be as desirable as this place. I'd check out Cordova Alaska during the Aummer First. Hope this helps.
I'm glad you're loving it out there, beauty wise. You have a lot of good information for someone who is just preparing to come up. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska