Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 PM

347 posts, read 936,658 times

Advertisements

Do they do this still? When i lived up there, it was still open to the public. Anyone have any pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,981,774 times
Some recent pics in the "recent photos of Alaska" thread! From Denali area.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 PM

6,380 posts, read 14,641,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
Do they do this still? When i lived up there, it was still open to the public. Anyone have any pics?
Yep, they do. Won it for the last two years in a row, then missed for this year.

You can go to the Denali National Park site and get the info there in about June next year, this was the last year the entry month was in July because people were complaining that they didn't have enough "Heads up" time when they were notified they won in mid August. So next year it is moved up to June for the entry and it costs ten bucks (non refundable) and only one entry per person from that address sent in.

But if you win, it is worth all the effort to drive back to Wonder Lake. I only live about fourty miles North of the Park Boarder, but it is still neat to drive in too. The winners this year went this last weekend.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,310,249 times
I thought they open it to residents all the way in after the tourons leave?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I thought they open it to residents all the way in after the tourons leave?
No, they call it that, but they only allow something like four hundred people a day to drive back for the four days. They don't care where you are from or any restictions where you are from, as long as they get your ten bucks....

Last year we got about halfway back and were going to get turned around due to snowfall that shut the previous two days down, we just made the opening of the road and was well worth the trip. Got to watch Grizzly bears dig in the snow along the road.

Each time we see about a dozen bears or so, moose, wolves and caribou.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,310,249 times
My parents are waiting for the rainstorm to pass in Anchorage and Fairbanks and they'll head up in my truck. Last summer when I drove them down to Montana got a free pass for Senior Citizens into any National Park. They're planning on stopping there either on the way up or back and drive the bridge. I told them it's worth it.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
My parents are waiting for the rainstorm to pass in Anchorage and Fairbanks and they'll head up in my truck. Last summer when I drove them down to Montana got a free pass for Senior Citizens into any National Park. They're planning on stopping there either on the way up or back and drive the bridge. I told them it's worth it.

Even if they only get to drive back to Savage River where the gate it at, that is a great drive. I don't know if the Senior Pass works for the drive back into the Denali Backcountry past that point, but it is sure worth the try! But the road may be snowed over in the pass too, so hold your breath...

Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 PM

347 posts, read 936,658 times
well i lived up there from 69 to 72 and my parents took us camping there every summer. I remember there was a horseshoew shped lake on the way in that is probably gone since the beavers abandoned the dam, and I remember getting up at 2 am to drive to Polychrome (sp?) Pass to see Denali. Just past that was a road cut into the side of the mountain you could hardly pass They had outer camp grouds but you werent allowed to camp in them because the bears.

My mom tells me they were getting ready to shut the road down to only buses back then.

My family wants to go the cruise route, but I am trying to convince them to take two weeks inland instead. Have stashed away enough to fly up and back already next summer.

I would love the wife and kids to see the things I remember. The things that stick out are Rainbow Ridge and Summit Lake, We always spent 4th of July at Gulkana, Bridle Veil Falls and another one on the way to Seward/Valdez, Dipnetting in the copper river at Chitna. Donnely's dome. I am sure it has changed a lot, but it still is beautiful from all the pics. Whe ni look at the pictures my parent took, the thing that strikes me the most is the only man made thing in most of them is the road.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
well i lived up there from 69 to 72 and my parents took us camping there every summer. I remember there was a horseshoew shped lake on the way in that is probably gone since the beavers abandoned the dam, and I remember getting up at 2 am to drive to Polychrome (sp?) Pass to see Denali. Just past that was a road cut into the side of the mountain you could hardly pass They had outer camp grouds but you werent allowed to camp in them because the bears.

My mom tells me they were getting ready to shut the road down to only buses back then.

My family wants to go the cruise route, but I am trying to convince them to take two weeks inland instead. Have stashed away enough to fly up and back already next summer.

I would love the wife and kids to see the things I remember. The things that stick out are Rainbow Ridge and Summit Lake, We always spent 4th of July at Gulkana, Bridle Veil Falls and another one on the way to Seward/Valdez, Dipnetting in the copper river at Chitna. Donnely's dome. I am sure it has changed a lot, but it still is beautiful from all the pics. Whe ni look at the pictures my parent took, the thing that strikes me the most is the only man made thing in most of them is the road.
Well not much has changed except for few places that have sprung up to give the tourist a rest stop and information centers. There is a lot more lodges now back past Wonder Lake and a dirt runway that is just outside the Park Bounderies that the public can use. But overall it is a get ride for a day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska