Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move a family of four to Bethel, AK
Stay put! 27 44.26%
take a chance! 34 55.74%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 22,917 times

Advertisements

Any chance XM reaches out that far north and west? I've seen rumors of reception in Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
I don't know of anyone with XM here, and I work at the local public radio station.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:09 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Looks like you had no friends here. I'm glad you left.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,989 times
Default Moving to Bethel...

There is a possibility that I will be moving to Bethel in a month or so. I am looking for housing, maybe a studio or a room to rent. I will hardly be home. I have been to Bethel before. The people were very very nice, but the cost of everything was outrageous. I am not having any luck though on finding a place to live. Hopefully somewhere that is trained-dog friendly. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know...
Thanks

Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,387 times
My husband and I have lived on Oak Island off the coast NC near Wilmington since 03 when we moved from Anchorage after 30 years of living in Alaska. We moved to be closer to ailing parents. With those issues resolved my husband is contemplating a return to the state to work for the department of law in Bethel. I have been reading all the strands on line to try to get my head around this possible move. What is the housing situation? Can we find clean decent housing and how expensive will that be? Is there a gym or work out center anywhere in Bethel .....and as bringing a car with us is cost prohibitive I worry about adjusting to the snow mobile at 60 years old. I understand that the good people of Bethel are Bethel's biggest asset and make up for the lack of most amenities but I do need to have a nice,even if modest, apartment or house.....what is the chance of finding that for a price that won't negate the little bit of extra income from the state for living there? I chose to respond to you because you seem closer in age, attitude and you moved to Bethel from NC. Ellie Sullivan

Old 05-10-2009, 12:47 AM

187 posts, read 348,583 times
Hi there, hope you don't mind me responding. Kind of an old thread here!

There are several 2-3 bedroom houses for sale, several duplexes for rent... I am not up on the rental cost situation but check out the classifieds at The Delta Discovery to see figures.

Bringing a car - bring something that can handle gravel roads, mud, 4WD is ideal... there are roads here & plenty of automobiles. We bought in Anchorage and had our van shipped out on the barge, cost about $2000. The last barge arrives in late September/early October. Other than that, there's airfreight, which is very expensive!

Many employers either give a huge COLA (as I think is the case for the state), provide or subsidize housing and/or utilities. In my experience it's not necessarily the housing cost that eats into income but the cost of food and household stuff, even with buying as much as possible in Anchorage or online that really does the budget in. Then again, we are feeding 5 children so that's probably part of it!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,387 times
Dear Ms.Proctor, I hope you recieved my note yesterday. I am anxiously awaiting some reply. Ellie

Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
Exclamation Missing??

Does anyone know or remember DAVID WILLIAM JOHNSTON? He was born in 1968-69 in Bethel? We went to the same schools together in Bethel, then met again in Anchorage in 1988.
I just wanted to let him know that his daughter Nicole has married and she has a son. David's grandson was born June 2009.
We have heard nothing from David in over 20 years and not sure if he is still alive or not.
I would like to say thanks in advance for any information that anyone can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with Bethel, AK?-summer-2009-091.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska