Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times

Advertisements

Weird. I've had nothing but good experiences with the Canadians. May have been my older vehicles that helped. Once drove up from Arkansas in a 57 chev pickup and broke down north of Moose Jaw. Had great help from a hitchhiker and a muffler shop. 2 years ago I trailered up a model T and had old timers talking childhood memories at every gas station I pulled into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,448 times
Default Info Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe4dka View Post
Well, I arrived in Ketchikan on July 5, 2008 after 10 days of driving from Kentucky. The worst time was the 2.5 days my family and I were in Canada. Since arriving, we were able to locate excellent housing at a reasonable rate, get moved in and are doing pretty good. WE LOVE IT HERE!!! Lots of great pics to share later. Still trying to adjust to time change--4 hours. Thanks to all the post from everyone I read before beginning our journey. Your input and suggestions were wonderful help. As time allows, (we are still tyring to dig out from all the BOXES stacked to the ceilings) I will post more.
I'm thinking about making the trip from Oklahoma to Talkeetna area. What valuable info can you give me? Did you use a trailer or truck? What happened in Canada? Any info would be great since you've done it!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 16,603 times
Well, the trip through Canada was horrible. We were on the road betweeb Jasper, Alberta and Prince George and was forced off the road by a mud slide and was 24 hours getting back on the road. We then missed our scheduled ferry and had to rebook the ferry trip. Oh, yeah, the getting into Canada was a three hour ordeal with the immigration people. We didn't have any legal charges or anything of that nature. Immigrations was leary of a whole, extended family moving to Alaska. And also, since my son-in-law is an air traffic controller and involved with air planes it was like we were going to plan to take over Canada.

Wyomagal, we used a U-haul truck. U-haul is the only trucking company that goes into both US and Canada. Ryder does Canada as well, but you can only use Ryder trucks in the country you rent them in. Be prepared to pay outrageous prices for everything in Canada--Gas specifically!!! Get rid of as much stuff as you possibly can part with. We used to live in a 6 bd,2 bath house with lots of stuff. We only brought a 14ft u-haul and not another piece could go in it. But all the things you have in the lower 48 is pretty much available here. There are always yard sales, garage sales, ads in paper of people getting rid of things to go back to the lower 48.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Cheer up scribe. I know a handfull of guys that were denied access into Canada and had to turn around and fly back to Alaska. Leaving a new vehicle behind and having to make arangements and or paying someone to drive it up for them. Could you imagine that kind of torment?

Last edited by Rance; 07-29-2008 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-27-2008, 10:46 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
All of my 13 trips through Canada had no problem whatsoever. I've never met one single person that came off as rude.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
I encountered a French Canadian who was very rude when I was crossing east of Bellingham, going into Abbotsford.

However, most have been very polite, even though I have a hard time due to legal problems that occurred long enough ago that I can still get in. Even with guns, they were very polite and wanted to look at them and talk about them in an admiring kind of way.

That's for 7 trips total.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 AM

532 posts, read 1,568,189 times
theres rude people in the world, I don't know why it's such an outrage that the gas station attendant somewhere in the yukon territory came off as rude in a brief encounter. If somebody cut you off on a highway in new york would that be blasphemy as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: