Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 05:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

I'm on an advisory committee for the state that's going to hold its annual meeting in Girdwood. Never been except to drive through. What do I need to see/do there? I don't ski or any of that since I fell down and busted my ankle and ended up laying in the ditch for an hour thanks to a pair of Xtra tuffs that didn't fit right (they can call Xtra Tuffs the "Alaskan sneaker" all they want, but as far as I'm concerned, those old-school Romeo deck slippers blow Xtra Tuffs out of the water; I never could find a pair of Xtra Tuffs that fit right).

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-14-2022 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 07:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
Make reservations at the Double Musky for a excellent meal! Seven Glaciers restaurant on top of the mountain is suppose to be good too.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:57 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
I haven't been there for years, but I recall it being worth riding up to the top of the Alyeska ski slope just for the view, even if you don't ski. If I remember correctly they had a cheap pass for that purpose. I recall Seven Glaciers being spendy but worth it, given how few really fine dining restaurants there are up here. Also, I have a serious allergy and they were really accommodating, which isn't always the case at higher end restaurants.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:26 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Make reservations at the Double Musky for a excellent meal! Seven Glaciers restaurant on top of the mountain is suppose to be good too.

Except, the Double Musky doesn't take reservations. Depending on the day of the week you need to get there early.

You didn't say when this meeting is. Makes a difference on what to suggest depending on when it is.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:58 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
The tram to the top of the mountain is great. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is nearby. The short trail to the Virgin Creek Falls is nice.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:21 PM

It'll be in Nov. Probably nothing will be open. For some reason I thought ski season started around then, but I guess not.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The tram to the top of the mountain is great. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is nearby. The short trail to the Virgin Creek Falls is nice.
So Girdwood itself is pretty walkable, right? There's a trail I read about that's paved that looks like it might be a nice bike ride (there are bike rentals there) -- Bird to Gird or something like that. The time of year probably isn't the best for that though.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:23 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It'll be in Nov. Probably nothing will be open. For some reason I thought ski season started around then, but I guess not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So Girdwood itself is pretty walkable, right? There's a trail I read about that's paved that looks like it might be a nice bike ride (there are bike rentals there) -- Bird to Gird or something like that. The time of year probably isn't the best for that though.

November could go any which way weather-wise. I believe Alyeska tries to open for skiing by Thanksgiving but that doesn't always happen.

Biking/hiking is going to depend on whether there is snow. Maybe, maybe not in November. When they moved the highway down off the mountains they rebuilt the roadbed into a hike/bike trail. It's a nice paved trail that runs from Girdwood to Bird Point with some very nice views of the inlet.

If you are staying at the Alyeska hotel you will be a 1/2 mile or a mile from "downtown" Girdwood. Believe it or not, they do have bus service. Look up Glacier Valley Transit.

Being November, it's either going to be raining or snowing, but you should be used to that.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:23 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
November could go any which way weather-wise. I believe Alyeska tries to open for skiing by Thanksgiving but that doesn't always happen.

Biking/hiking is going to depend on whether there is snow. Maybe, maybe not in November. When they moved the highway down off the mountains they rebuilt the roadbed into a hike/bike trail. It's a nice paved trail that runs from Girdwood to Bird Point with some very nice views of the inlet.

If you are staying at the Alyeska hotel you will be a 1/2 mile or a mile from "downtown" Girdwood. Believe it or not, they do have bus service. Look up Glacier Valley Transit.

Being November, it's either going to be raining or snowing, but you should be used to that.
Is there an actual downtown? I went to Alyeska every Wednesday from Anchorage for a ski season about 15 years ago and I don’t recall a downtown or even city in general. Just seemed like a few homes hidden in woods with a hidden restaurant or two. Nothing like ski towns in lower 48….via this I think they have a hard time attracting people to fly up to ski there.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Is there an actual downtown? I went to Alyeska every Wednesday from Anchorage for a ski season about 15 years ago and I don’t recall a downtown or even city in general. Just seemed like a few homes hidden in woods with a hidden restaurant or two. Nothing like ski towns in lower 48….via this I think they have a hard time attracting people to fly up to ski there.
There is a very cute little downtown area. Very walkable. My #1 takeaway was that there were showers, which is key for Alaskans, lol.

https://themilepost.com/communities/girdwood/

https://girdwood.com/listing/girdwood-laundromall/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska