Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 06:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Thanks -- I'm not too outdoorsy that time of year but might walk on that Bird to Gird trail unless the weather is completely awful. My meeting is part of a larger event that lasts for several days, so maybe I will rent a car and drive to Talkeetna. My son may be going to Girdwood as well, and he was born in Talkeetna, so it would be nice to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 11:43 PM

388 posts, read 307,611 times
Before baby, we used to rent a cabin with a hot tub for a week every November. Girdwood is basically a ghost town for the month; almost everything is closed for the down-time between summer tourist season and skiing. The Wildlife center is a decent way to spend a couple of hours if the weather isn't horrible; it's almost all outside. There are hiking trails but depending on how much snow has already accumulated they may not be your cup of tea. Jack Sprat is a favorite restaurant ours that, at least pre-covid, was open daily year round, but both Double Musky and Seven Glaciers will almost definitely be closed. If you're staying at Alyeska resort itself, the restaurants there are good and the pool is very nice.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Before baby, we used to rent a cabin with a hot tub for a week every November. Girdwood is basically a ghost town for the month; almost everything is closed for the down-time between summer tourist season and skiing. The Wildlife center is a decent way to spend a couple of hours if the weather isn't horrible; it's almost all outside. There are hiking trails but depending on how much snow has already accumulated they may not be your cup of tea. Jack Sprat is a favorite restaurant ours that, at least pre-covid, was open daily year round, but both Double Musky and Seven Glaciers will almost definitely be closed. If you're staying at Alyeska resort itself, the restaurants there are good and the pool is very nice.
Thanks; that's kinda how I thought it would be. I won't mind missing the ski crowds. You're right, I probably won't be trudging around much in the snow.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:23 AM

700 posts, read 447,102 times
Double Musky a must!!

Old 04-21-2022, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Double Musky a must!!
I'm disappointed because it sounds like it will likely be closed. We'll be at the resort and I'm sure there will be some sort of food there, though. I might just Zoom it.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
I have never heard of the Double Musky being closed at any time! And yes they don't take reservations, I forgot about that.
https://doublemuskyinn.com/

Old 04-24-2022, 02:17 PM

388 posts, read 307,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I have never heard of the Double Musky being closed at any time! And yes they don't take reservations, I forgot about that.
https://doublemuskyinn.com/
It's very possible that it's different now; our last November trip was on 2018, but they used to close for about 2 months mid-October to mid-December. I'll be honest, the one time we did go, we did not find it worth the very long wait. It was decent, but not mind-blowing.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:31 PM

Well, looking at their menu (and I'm sure the food there is very good), the Double Musky is pretty heavy on the shellfish, which I have a serious allergy to) and I don't eat steak or other red meat, so maybe it's just as well if it's closed in Nov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska