Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 AM

311 posts, read 493,015 times

Advertisements

The worst thing to do is to move to a place based on political affiliation. There are pros and cons everywhere. Alaska, although mostly Republican, have Democrat areas as well. (i.e. Anchorage Bowl and many of the bush areas up north and west).

On that point, the point of moving to Alaska just to escape something, you're going to have a very miserable time here. This is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 11:48 AM

311 posts, read 493,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
That's everywhere, Even where I live. Coldest day I have seen where I live is 8F, and -19F about an hour from where I live. They complain about the heat, then they complain about the cold. When I was camping this past July, in the morning it was around 64F and humid from an overnight rain, and there were 2 people with me wearing sweaters and shivering. I couldn't believe it.

In interior Alaska during the winter it can dip down from -40 to -70, depending where you are.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:25 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
In interior Alaska during the winter it can dip down from -40 to -70, depending where you are.
I've been in Fairbanks during one of those deep snaps. We lived up near Hatcher Pass. If this happens, we will likely buy a home in Palmer.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,861,761 times
Quote:
That's everywhere, Even where I live. Coldest day I have seen where I live is 8F, and -19F about an hour from where I live. They complain about the heat, then they complain about the cold. When I was camping this past July, in the morning it was around 64F and humid from an overnight rain, and there were 2 people with me wearing sweaters and shivering. I couldn't believe it.
Anything under 70 is sweater weather for sure. Brrrrr. And I can't handle heat, so 90 and above is way too hot.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:29 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
I am from California . There are people from all different backgrounds here, all different political affiliations, and real estate is very expensive.

Based on what you've said here, I suggest you look in West Virginia. It's very green there, real estate is very cheap, they get all four seasons, and the politics will suit you.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:52 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
When my friend and I moved to Anchorage from Minneapolis it was in late May, so we weren’t used to summer temps yet. 70’s in Anchorage seemed warm/hot and I would take my top off my Jeep. When our friend joined us in August from twin cities, he froze at temps we thought were warm/hot...Everyplace is this way.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:43 AM

1,169 posts, read 751,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, there's a terrible mess of Californians crawling all over the place these days, buying up all the good real estate, trying to take our guns away, and otherwise bringing their commie ways with them. Better stick with Idaho.
ROFL

To the OP, the cost of living was high, well, pretty much since the Russians moved in. And everyone in Alaska who isn't native is from somewhere else, from LA to Texas to Thailand. Come to think of it, you could say that about the US as a whole, but that's a whole 'nuther topic.

I think you will find everywhere outside of Anchorage to be sufficiently ideologically pure for your liking. Even the Denali borough which is partially run by commie-loving granola crunchers such as myself can be viewed as sufficiently libertarian for all but the most strident True Patriots (TM).

Of course, you may reconsider wanting to live in Southeast if that is at all a possibility for you, since your political brethren are intent on dismantling state services that make life there reasonably bearable or affordable.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,365 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. My wife and I left Alaska 7 years ago this month. We moved to Arizona to be close go her family after we had our first child. Now, we are thinking of moving back. I'm so tired of the heat, and I need more green in my life. My question is, have the Californians moved into Alaska like they have everywhere else in the lower 48? I've looked in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Northern Nevada. Pretty much every western state that doesn't infringe upon the 2nd Amendment. The real estate prices have all been drastically inflated, and local politics are quickly turning blue.
Alaska no worse than anyother W State. I say go for it. But be agile and trepid but sure. You'll be fine.

Alaska's calling your heart.

Kalispell is Cali land (friends left), further east montana is colddddd. wyoming is good . no better pop. in the world.

ever check out bonners ferry? I almost moved there. Boreal just north and special area.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:35 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Consider the NE states, they're green and relatively cool. New Hampshire-live free or die, man! People will leave you alone, won't give a damn if you're a wacko or not.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:45 AM

186 posts, read 346,125 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. My wife and I left Alaska 7 years ago this month. We moved to Arizona to be close go her family after we had our first child. Now, we are thinking of moving back. I'm so tired of the heat, and I need more green in my life. My question is, have the Californians moved into Alaska like they have everywhere else in the lower 48? I've looked in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Northern Nevada. Pretty much every western state that doesn't infringe upon the 2nd Amendment. The real estate prices have all been drastically inflated, and local politics are quickly turning blue.
Stop bringing your politics where you go is the best advice I can give you. I've lived all over the Rocky Mountain West, from Alaska to Wyoming, and it just bugs me, when someone from out of state (California) will think they are my kin because they own a gun. Please, leave your politics and religion where you came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska