Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times

Advertisements

Chilkat Cruises went bankrupt, so as of now there is no boats between Haines and Skagway. This also puts a halt on glacier point tours because the boat isnt running to GP.

Just something to keep in mind if you were going to try and make it over to Haines. Hopefully a few local buisnesses will lease boats and crews from Four Seasons Marine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Chilkat Cruises went bankrupt, so as of now there is no boats between Haines and Skagway. This also puts a halt on glacier point tours because the boat isnt running to GP.

Just something to keep in mind if you were going to try and make it over to Haines. Hopefully a few local buisnesses will lease boats and crews from Four Seasons Marine.
Chilkat Cruises ran the ferry between Skag and Haines, right? AMHS services that but not at any normal frequency, is that correct? I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do the Golden Circle drive now or even get to and from Haines and Skag.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Chilkat Cruises ran the ferry between Skag and Haines, right? AMHS services that but not at any normal frequency, is that correct? I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do the Golden Circle drive now or even get to and from Haines and Skag.
Chilkat Cruises ran passenger ferries between the two towns. The AMHS has a day boat this summer that leaves Skagway at 7AM for Haines, then Juneau, then returns north in the evening. I am gonna miss the Fairweather

Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Chilkat Cruises ran passenger ferries between the two towns. The AMHS has a day boat this summer that leaves Skagway at 7AM for Haines, then Juneau, then returns north in the evening. I am gonna miss the Fairweather
That sucks. It just puts more restrictions on my travel.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I like the Fairweather.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I like the Fairweather.
It is the true people hauler of the fleet

Old 04-25-2008, 01:17 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default different name, same boats

Those multiple-times-per-day Skagway to Haines runs are so crucial to the economy here in Haines that there's essentially NO possibility that they'll disappear. There may be fewer runs on some days, and it looks very likely that the first and last runs of the day will be by a Skagway-based crew due to the fuel costs of repositioning, but you can bet the bank that the core portion of that schedule WILL be covered. It's almost certain that the exact same boats will be used, they'll just be leased and operated by another company.

The "golden circle" drive will be unaffected, the boats we're talking about here are passenger-only, and have never transported any vehicles other than the occasional bicycle or kayak. You shouldn't confuse them with the AMHS ferry that DOES carry vehicles, and will also be making daily runs between Skagway, Haines, and Juneau.

And yes, many people in town prefer the Fairweather over the conventional boats since it's so much faster..at least in the summer. I'm pretty sure that the AMHS prefers whichever of the fleet is the most fuel-efficient these days, those high-speed cats burn a LOT of fuel at speed.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Those multiple-times-per-day Skagway to Haines runs are so crucial to the economy here in Haines that there's essentially NO possibility that they'll disappear. There may be fewer runs on some days, and it looks very likely that the first and last runs of the day will be by a Skagway-based crew due to the fuel costs of repositioning, but you can bet the bank that the core portion of that schedule WILL be covered. It's almost certain that the exact same boats will be used, they'll just be leased and operated by another company.

And yes, many people in town prefer the Fairweather over the conventional boats since it's so much faster..at least in the summer. I'm pretty sure that the AMHS prefers whichever of the fleet is the most fuel-efficient these days, those high-speed cats burn a LOT of fuel at speed.
I heard a couple buisnesses are in talks with Four Seasons marine to keep operating atleast two of the boats.

The Fairweather burns no more fuel in a typical day in the northern Lynn Canal. It can go to Haines, back to Juneau, up to Skagway and back and burn the same amount of fuel that the Taku would going Juneau-Haines-Skagway-Haines-Juneau.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 AM

607 posts, read 1,334,364 times
That's sad news about Chilcat Cruises. I took them to Haines last summer for a day at the SE AK State Fair...lots of fun! I really liked how the staff taught us a bit about their native culture on the way over.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,114 times
How u all doing Merry Christmass up there i lived on the part of where the USCG housing use to be. The Chilkat first came there during the winter of 1975 or something i know cuz i played the drums in the Metlakatla High School Band Marty was the trombiness and Terri was a saxahoniest and melody was the clarinet and so and so on I miss u all take care god bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska