Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Alaska: cost of living, heavy equipment mechanic, speech pathologist employment, rental listing, real estate.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,768 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are natives of central fl. and a little over a year a go we recently completed building a new home on the scenic Withlacoochee River, just Nth of Dade city,fl. It's secluded and quiet and we like it but, over the past year something has been causing us to have a very strong interest in your beautiful state. We are expecting our first child in less than 2 months. We have done quiet a bit of research on the Anchorage, particularly Wasilla/palmer area but are a little concerned about the high growth rate. We have checked the city data average home prices/incomes. It appears that the income in Soldotna is slightly higher and the home prices are slightly lower. Can anyone tell us what the cost difference may be on food items,gas,merchandise,etc...property taxes vs. the palmer/wasilla area. My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and there would be an opp for him to transfer branches in any of those three places. We would rather live in Sol or Sterling area because of being away from the big city. I'm currently a Speech Therapist with the public schools...until our baby comes and then I want to make the transition into teaching at a comm. college/university...just out of the public schools. We want to rent for the 1st year and get a feel for where we want to live. Is there a lot in way of choices for renting in the sol/sterling area? Do you know of any websites of rentals/apartments? Any info would be helpful and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,942,176 times
Have a look at the local paper: Peninsula Clarion

On the right side of page is "Advertising". Click on realestate for a look. Right below that is "Yellow Advantage". Just enter realestate and it should bring up some contact stuff.

I live in Sterling but I pay no mind to realestate costs, groceries, or the differences in prices between towns. It is what it is. Anchorage will be only slightly cheaper but after fuel and driving time it really don't save you too much in shopping. Unless you go bulk at Costco or something. There are places to rent, but coming into spring those that are vacant will fill up quick. You could do real well moving here, buying land, and building a 4 or 8 plex. You would have no problem filling it with tenants.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM

19 posts, read 51,892 times
I have lived in all of those places and currently live in Wasilla, Alaska.

I was raised in Soldotna and have also lived in the Sterling area. I personally like Wasilla better but that could just be due to the fact that I had a rough time in school there in Soldotna. Growing up wasn't easy on me and I am glad I don't live in Soldotna anymore...However, thats not to say that Soldotna is bad, because it is beautiful and there are some awesome people there. I didn't care for Sterling but that has to do with mostly what the terrain looks like. I believe that you would likely be happy in the Soldotna area, especially if you love fishing! rofl It is a beautiful area thats for sure and we go and visit back there every summer. Kenai has the beach and thats a really nice area too but the water is orange-ish. I think Homer is also a nice place but might be a ways away for you....I visit there twice a year as it is gorgeous!!

Wasilla is growing fast but it still has that small town feel to it. The roads are still trying to catch up to the growth but I love how it feels out here. If you want a more country type setting, then possibly Palmer (near Wasilla) might be right for you? I love Wasilla, and am extremely happy to have my children grow up here. I couldn't ask for more in this community and suspect that you would be happy here too. Our governor is from here.

I cannot say what the price/tax differences would be but think that food and clothing are not much different in price. So am not sure that it really counts. You can check craigslist for rentals or the Anchorage Daily News for rentals in both areas...Rance posted the clarion for the kenai peninsula area, and here is the Mat-Su Valley's newspaper:
Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman

Hope this helps
Sonya~

Last edited by Rance; 04-14-2008 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: fixing the link!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 13,768 times
Thanks Guys!
Something else I thought to ask... for an average 1500-1800 sq. foot house, how much could someone expect to pay in heating and power in the winter months if you operate modestly?? We are used to paying to cool beacuse of the heat in Fl. and our highest bull in the summertime runs about 70-90$ a month with the air running. However...one factor is that the home we live in now is brand new and well insulated. The price of heating is a concern??

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,520,278 times
Like Rance said, Anchorage will be a little cheaper than Soldotna, but by the time you pay for the gas and spend the time to drive to Anchorage and back, you will probably end up paying a little more than if you just bought the same product in Soldotna.

Property taxes are pretty high in the Mat-Su Valley and in Anchorage right now, running more than 14 mils. So you will probably save some money on property taxes in Soldotna.

For 2,240 sq. ft., 5-star energy rated home built 5 years ago, I'm paying about $150/month on natural gas during the winter, and about $60/month during the summer. Electricity runs between $80 and $120 each month. Air-conditioning in Alaska means an open window.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,942,176 times
I can't remember...I think my highest gas bill was around 120 this winter. And thats all I heat my 2 story 2 bedroom big open ceiling small house with (gas monitor heater). I sprayed urethane for insulation throughout the palce when I built it. My hot water heater and stove/oven is also gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska