Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times

Advertisements

Thanks warptman. Merry Christmas guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 05:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
You are welcome. When you make the trip you have bragging rights to tell your friends. This is a trip of a lifetime and I've done it 13 times now. I'm driving down and back again in April, can't wait.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:31 PM

24 posts, read 85,560 times
@Glitch

Great, thanks for the info. I'll probably plan to be in-state late july, see everything in the south central portion, then head up north the first week of august. Really appreciate the headsup about when to visit the tundra, I'm looking forward to it more and more.

@Rance & Stiffnecked

Those room prices will break our budget, I was counting on <$100 a night. Personally I'd just camp out every night, but this trip is with my girlfriend. Got to love her for trekking around in the woods and up mountains all day, but if she doesn't come back to a bed and shower, she's not happy. I guess we'll have to try and mix it up. Hopefully bears and mosquito's aren't too bad, all we have is a tent!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I was just going to suggest hostels and/or campgrounds. I've always gone that way and if you're a low maintenance person, it's really great. Or you can camp a few nights and then hostel or spring for a hotel to break it up.

I also am doing the Alcan drive between WA and AK, but I'm only going as far as the Golden Circle: Whitehorse/Haines/Skagway to do some hiking. I'm either going to ferry up and drive down or the opposite--I haven't figured which way would be best yet. Is the Cassair hwy okay to travel in the summer? I've been told by some people that although it does take some milage off the trip, it isn't worth it to drive it.

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Yeah, camping's an option, but read post above for complications

I dont mind the hijack at all - we plan to take the Cassier on the way up so it's a great question!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I drove it in 78 when it was no more than a trail through the woods. It was great. If you've never been on the Cassiar I'd give it a go. Get pictures and give the rest of us an up-date on road conditions and all the trimmings!
I average about a picture per mile when I travel, my finger is practically glued to the shutter release! I'll be sure to come back after the trip and upload some of the better ones! Between Cobolt and I, the trimmings should be pretty well had

Old 12-24-2007, 07:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
My coworker drove down the Alcan when I was on my way up. He velcro'd his high-def camera to his dash and took 30 second tapings every 15-30 minutes. I can't wait to get a copy of that.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
My coworker drove down the Alcan when I was on my way up. He velcro'd his high-def camera to his dash and took 30 second tapings every 15-30 minutes. I can't wait to get a copy of that.
Be sure to let me know - I plan to drive home on that.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
My last trip on the Cassiar was in August. Their was some construction going on but nothing to worry about. I encountered the same amount on the Alcan portion as well.
The only thing I didn't plan on was the gas station at Jade City being closed. I had plenty to make it to Watson Lake but I like to keep the sucker topped off.

As for lodging I don't know what to tell you. There are some cheap places on Alcan portion but they are by no means 5 star. More like 1 star or no star. They were all clean and had running water. Once you get into Alaska I would plan on camping out or hitting the hostels in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

I get my streets mixed up but the campground over by University and Airport Way in Fairbanks was the friendlies for tent campers. Nice spots by the river. They have all the amenities such as showers, laundry, and WIFI. I never saw one bear in that campground.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:59 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
Hotels around Alaska raise their rates around May 15th or so. It is tourist season and that's when they make the bucks to keep the place going. Off season rates are generally about $80-$100 cheaper. Certain hotels are the same price year-round (the Caribou in Deadhorse, or the hotel in Coldfoot come to mind.)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:12 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Yea, between me and FDM, we'll keep you in pics! I'm so bad when it comes to that. I was hiking a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail and it normally takes 8 hours, but it takes me more like 10 because I am stopping to snap pics, compose pics, capture every piece of eye candy nature has for me. I've also gotten quite good at the self pic (via either tripod, ad-libbed tripod [rocks, tree stumps] or just the extended arm version).

I'm really excited about the trip. Even if I car camp... it's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska