Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,714 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to the North Pole area in a couple weeks and was wondering if I should wait on buying winter gear until I get out there? Do they have reliable brands and good prices out there since people need to have that clothing for their lifestyle? Or would I be just as well off buying it here (Vermillion, SD)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara40 View Post
I'm coming to the North Pole area in a couple weeks and was wondering if I should wait on buying winter gear until I get out there? Do they have reliable brands and good prices out there since people need to have that clothing for their lifestyle? Or would I be just as well off buying it here (Vermillion, SD)?
Yes, they have several stores in town where you can buy winter stuff, including some that have the most expensive winter gear around. But you will have to buy such gear in Fairbanks. Big Ray's, and The Prospector have a large assortment of winter gear such Carthartt, Columbia, and other more expensive clothing. Beaver Sports has the expensive winter sports gear. You can find a lot of warm stuff, including synthetics, at the Sportsman Warehouse. But Fred Meyer and others also have winter clothing, boots, etc. There are a few more stores where you can buy winter clothing and shoes, including the Frontier Outfitters (clothing), and to a lesser degree Wall-Mart & Sam's Club.

The price, depending on what you want is comparable to Cabela's winter clothing. For example, if you want the top of the line parka it may cost you from $200.00 to $500.00, but if you want a Carhartt parka it may cost you around $100.00 (give and take 20% or so).

I am certain that I have forgotten to mention a few more stores in Fairbanks, but that's all I could remember at the moment.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
You can always drive the 2.5 hours down to Omaha and shop at Cabela's. They have a large line of Alaska Gear there that Jeff King uses for the Iditarod Dogsled race.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,445,170 times
Tara, how cold does it get in SD? Maybe you already have some of the things you need.

North Pole tends to be a bit colder than Fairbanks, and I would suggest that you keep good winter gear and a wool blanket or two in your car. The road to Fairbanks is only 13 miles, but it seems to catch quite a few in the ditch. Many people that have never driven in the winter live out that way or are headed to Eielson AFB.

Welcome to Alaska and I hope you love it here.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
I would just bring the warm clothes that you already have and then shop in Fairbanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I would just bring the warm clothes that you already have and then shop in Fairbanks.
Absolutely. You probably own 50% of what you will ever need. One thing you can get (or order) is a pair of ***-trax's.
on ice they will keep you verticle when walking.
When you get here, look at others, and go shopping. Winter gear is really pretty cheap up here.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default off season

Yeah, winter gear is pretty widely available but it's not always cheap. If you can get yourself through the first winter with what you have, you can sometimes clean up at the end-of-season sales and score some true bargains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska