Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,556,217 times

Advertisements

I have been silently lurking and reading this Alaska forum for months. I am almost addicted to the gorgeous pictures you all post and go back to them many times..I enjoy so many of the conversations , and especially get a kick out of the ones posted from the lower 48 who forget that you are one of us when it comes to government aid, if any body is starving..The Alaska forum is the only State forum I visit daily..You guys are the best Maybe I will start talking to you a little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,906,342 times
Or better yet...come and visit!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Actually, we have been thinking about this for several years..I followed Karla's trip and always look for your beautiful pictures Hubby wants a cruise, I want something more personal so we will probably never agree

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,222,106 times
Don't do the Cruise, you won't see much of Alaska.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Thanks Warpt, that is exactly what I think..I am more of the type to do sightseeing on a more personal level..I like to get to know the people of the area and would rather mingle there than with some guid..Sigh..life is not long enough for me to experience, see and live everywhere I would like to be..This site is a big help

Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,222,106 times
The past few years I've been taking vacations stateside which has been a lot of fun. This past August I drove my parents from Anchorage thru Canada and on to Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. They loved it as did I. I also took a side trip by myself to Utah to see Rush in concert, that was a dream come true! We were gone for three weeks total, and of course, that was way too short. We're heading back down the highway at the end of March, this time for a month or so, can't wait! Might take a side trip to Kansas to see a close friend that moved from here to Wichita and a possible trip to northern California so my mom can visit her sister. Should be fun!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,903,715 times
I would recommend taking a ferry. During the summer you can sleep in a tent out on the solariums of some vessels, basically camping at sea. If you figure out your itinerary right you can go from Bellingham all the way to Unalaska on the ferry. I'd then go to Anchorage, rent a car, and drive up to Fairbanks. You can see Denali on the way, and then fly home from Fairbanks...
It'd take you a while (and cost quite a bit), but wow. That's my dream vacation.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,183,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I would recommend taking a ferry. During the summer you can sleep in a tent out on the solariums of some vessels, basically camping at sea. If you figure out your itinerary right you can go from Bellingham all the way to Unalaska on the ferry. I'd then go to Anchorage, rent a car, and drive up to Fairbanks. You can see Denali on the way, and then fly home from Fairbanks...
It'd take you a while (and cost quite a bit), but wow. That's my dream vacation.
Wow Xa'at, I wanna do that It sounds like fun. I haven't done the ferry yet.

Blue they are right about the cruise. I did one up the inside passage while I love cruises, you really see very little of Alaska. Although what you do see is beautiful just not enough time spent.

Xa'at's idea sounds great. When I go back to lower 48 to visit I want to go by Ferry rather than just fly out.

And you're right Blue, this thread is different

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM

5,481 posts, read 12,270,311 times
Blue,

I would definately discourage you from the cruise thing. You can't really experience Alaska that way. You'll only see trinket shops. I love traveling and exploring Alaska. The ferry is a great experience and I"ve taken it up the Inside Passage a few times. Next summer I am doing much of what what Xa'at suggested--in fact, I think she's reading my mind! I'm doing the Inside Passage and then making it up to Anchorage to drive the interior. Oh you will love it. I have traveled during different seasons, and it's so interesting to me.

And the people on the Alaska forum are the BEST!!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM

Cruises are out for me..No way, no how..I am more into "touching the land" as I travel..DH took me whale watching in Hawaii..3 hours in the Pacific in a 30 footer..anchored...uuuup,dooown, uuuup, doown. I can't ever remember being that sick..I would definitely consider the ferry thing and car rental..Warptman, your lower 48 travels sound very relaxed and laid back..great..As I proudly proclaim in the upper right corner, I am in East Ky. In the Appalachian Mountains..Beautiful and rural here, easy laid back sort of life..We are about 3 hours in any direction of any large city..Suits me fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska