Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times

Advertisements

A summer camping trip to Alaska. I'm so envious. That has been a lifelong dream of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
If you do end up going to Denali regardless if you rent a car and drive or take the train you should consider the Camper Bus back to the Wonder Lake Campground. Sounds like it may be something you’d enjoy.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/camper-bus.aspx

Another Denali option is to pick up a Tek Pass and drive to Teklanika Campground that is at mile 29. You can't drive any further into the park but you can take the shuttle buss from there for the day. According to the park service the majority of the wildlife sightings are past mile 30.

Last edited by Chilkoot; 02-28-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM

119 posts, read 273,248 times
Thank you everyone for the advice and the links to various parks, transportation, etc.! I definitely feel like we have a good idea as to where to start now. The rental car is seeming more and more like a good idea. Other than checking hotwire.com or Enterprise, is there a better/less expensive local place to rent a car? Right now, Hotwire is pricing rentals from Anchorage around $30-$50/day for a car and around $80/day for an SUV. Since it will be summer, is there a need for an SUV in regards to safety?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I'll give you method for getting the best price you can on a rental.

When I do my vehicle rentals, I check every site I can, even the rental car companies direct sites. I usually lock in a rate (for free) and then continually check prices. At times, you end up ditching the first rental quote for a much better quotes as time goes on. It just depends on how 'booked' they get. Best to lock in something though, because it doesn't always work out that way.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
If you mean by "safety" regarding an SUV as per road conditions, it makes no difference whether you drive an SUV or "car". Rent what you feel most comfortable driving and feel will best accomodate you. One thing not mentioned yet about driving is that at any time, and any place, there is a possibility that a moose will step out onto the road without warning, hitting a moose is a BAD experience best avoided. Do not fear driving, just be aware that moose are common throughout the road system.

And watch out for potholes !

Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I'll give you method for getting the best price you can on a rental.

When I do my vehicle rentals, I check every site I can, even the rental car companies direct sites. I usually lock in a rate (for free) and then continually check prices. At times, you end up ditching the first rental quote for a much better quotes as time goes on. It just depends on how 'booked' they get. Best to lock in something though, because it doesn't always work out that way.
I do the same. If you're a Costco member, you can usually get good deals there. I was able to cut $100 off the price of a rental for a trip to Oregon in May and that was after saving $200 on earlier quotes. In Alaska, during the tourist season, you may not be able to do as well.

Also, be aware that many rental companies have restrictions against driving on gravel roads. It may limit some of your destinations.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
Most of the car rental companies don’t allow driving on gravel roads. There’s a tremendous opportunity to see some fantastic places in Alaska that are only accessible by a non-paved road like the Denali Highway or the Edgerton Highway to McCarthy. When making your plans if it will includes driving conditions like that you might consider going with a rental company that allows it. Getting an SUV or something with 4WD or AWD could be a plus depending on what kind of experience you want. If you do a search for rental car companies in Anchorage you’ll see several that do allow driving in these conditions. How adventurous do you want your trip to be?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
I'd also recommend the Denali Highway!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Nice Pics Warpt. Denali Highway is a great road. No real need for it anymore. It was the only access to Denali Park when I was a kid. Other than the RR.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
From what I have heard, High Country Car Rental & Go North are the 2 companies that allow their cars on the beautiful Denali Hwy.

Awesome pics, Warptman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska