Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 AM

9 posts, read 28,775 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just found this forum and am finding so much useful information. My and fiancee and I are planning a road trip to Alaska this September / October for our honeymoon. We have 3 weeks to make the full trip. Now, before you all tell me how little time that is and how it can't be done, hear me out. We love to drive. We take a road trip every year, and given our work schedules they are usually for no more than a week. Last year we went to Yellowstone for 4 days. This year, we were able to pull of 3 weeks. Driving to Alaska has always been a dream for the both of us, and realizing that 3 weeks is the best we are going to get (at least until we retire) we decided to jump on the opportunity. We will be leaving from Saint Louis, MO in the middle of September and have to be back by mid-October.

Here is our rough itinerary so far.

Day 1 - Saint Louis to Fargo, North Dakota
Day 2 - Fargo, ND to Glacier National Park
Day 3 - Canadian Border to Edmonton
Day 4 - Edmonton to Fort Nelson
Day 5 - Fort Nelson to White Horse
Day 6 - White Horse to Delta Junction
Day 7 - Delta Junction to Denali
Day 8 - Anchorage
Day 9 - Anchorage to Haines
Day 10 - Haines to Bellingham WA via Ferry
Day 14 - 15 - Start our trip back to Saint Louis

This is obviously rough, we have 21 days and have 15 planned for driving.

So, given all that, I have a few questions.

1.) Is this a realistic thing to consider? I know we will be driving nearly everyday all day, but thats a road trip, and we like doing things like that.

2.) Other than the MilePost (i have that already) can any one recommend any other good guide books.

3.) We would like to do some whale watching maybe even a tour via a plane

4.) Where is a good place to stay for a few night that is remote and by the water.

5.) What are roads like mid september to october

6.) what is the weather like that time of year and how much day light can we expect?

7.) good places to eat?

8.) any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are very much looking forward to visiting Alaska, we know it will be a short trip, but we want to make the best of each day, so any advice we would love to hear it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times

Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
First: The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner
Second: Seriously, The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Okay... Day 7: Delta Junction to Denali... I'm assuming you are planning to go north on the Richardson Highway to Fairbanks, then south on the Parks, stopping at the entrance to Denali National Park. You need to understand that all the hotels, restaurants and stores at Denali are only open from mid May to early September. In fact, most touristy type stuff in Alaska only operates mid-May to early September... If you plan on the Denali Highway from Paxston to Cantwell being part of your route, it's not maintained, so when it snows, they don't plow it.

To answer your questions:

1. It looks a little ambitious, schedule wise... Anchorage to Haines on Day 9 is about a 16 hour trip. But, there's 24 hours in a day, so I guess it could work. But, overall, you might want to give yourself a cushion.

2. The only book I would worry about carrying other than the Milepost is this one: The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

3. The whales pass through here seasonally. I know in the early spring, people go out of Seward to watch them. I'd give Rust's Flying Service a call and see what they can tell you.

4. The closest you'll get to water is in Anchorage (which isn't remote) and Haines (which is fairly remote.) If you want to plan in an extra day, you could make the drive to Seward, or even Whittier to stay. If you had an extra couple of days, Valdez would fit the bill too.

5. Roads at that time COMPLETELY depend on weather, which is unpredictable. You could have dry pavement and 40 degrees the whole time, or you could encounter a snowstorm and be driving through a foot of snow. You'd want to be prepared, both time wise and equipment wise. The vehicle needs to be in good shape with good tires. Have emergency supplies (food, water, blankets, tow rope, etc...). But it's totally doable. My father in law drives long haul and was on the Anchorage to Seattle run for few years. They'd go down and back in 5 days.

6. Again, the weather is all over the map. Daylight will decrease as you go north. I think that time of year in South Central Alaska, you'd be looking at about 10 hours of daylight. Just a guess...

7. Fast Eddies in Tok. Gwennies in Anchorage.

8. The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner. Oh, and double check the ferry schedule to make sure it fits into your plans. Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF Looking online, they don't have next fall's schedule out yet, so you might want to call them.

It'll be a fun trip! My wife and I have road tripped our last couple of vacations and are planning on another one in fall of 2011. Just be aware that services are limited in the Yukon and in some parts of Alaska. The tourist season will be over, so things wind down. Don't assume anything, and be prepared for what may come. Whatever your budget is, add about 25%. And plan on taking LOTS of pictures!!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
I was thinking a little more about Question 4. You'll get 4 days of being remote and by the water while you are on the ferry...

Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,731 times
why bother going through fargo? you'd be better off taking I-90 through south dakota. it's more direct than going through fargo (if you're trying to get to glacier), and you'd also get a lot more scenery on I-90 (i.e. the black hills).

i think the trip in general might be a bit hurried, but you'd see lots of nice places.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Three weeks is doable. I went down last summer for 17 days and saw a bunch, it was fun.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
The Fargo to Glacier Nat'l Park looks like the longest driving day. Every other leg except the Anchorage to Haines leg is doable. This leg is dependent on the ferry schedule. To plan your trip, you'll need to start with the ferry leg and work back.

While the schedule isn't out for October, you can plan based on the runs during September. The Haines to Bellingham run usually leaves on a Monday evening and gets to Bellingham on Friday. To catch this ferry, you'll need to leave Anchorage around midnight to get to Haines a couple of hours before the ferry departs.

As an alternative, you can take a ferry to Prince Rupert. Direct ferries usually leave on Thursday and get to Prince Rupert on Saturday. There's usually a second ferry to Prince Rupert each week, but you'll need to transfer in Juneau and likely spend the night. Also the ferry to Prince Rupert is much cheaper and likely cuts a day off from the Bellingham run (with the added driving time).

The ferries may offer some whale and wildlife viewing, but they don't stop to view (will sometimes slow down). For a cabin near the water, your best bet is arriving a day early finding a place in Haines. You'll likely miss any tours as the tourist season shuts down about the 3rd week in September. If you're an AAA member, you can get their travel books to supplement the Milepost.

The weather should be good with mostly rain and cloudy conditions. There's always a chance of an early snowstorm though. There's enough traffic so you won't need a lot of emergency supplies (sleeping bags, some water and food/snacks). Gas shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let it get too low. Figure you'll have anywhere from 13.5 to 11 hours of daylight during that period.

Eat at Fast Eddy's in Tok. For that matter, spend the night in Tok instead of Delta Junction and eat dinner and breakfast there.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The Fargo to Glacier Nat'l Park looks like the longest driving day. Every other leg except the Anchorage to Haines leg is doable. This leg is dependent on the ferry schedule. To plan your trip, you'll need to start with the ferry leg and work back.

While the schedule isn't out for October, you can plan based on the runs during September. The Haines to Bellingham run usually leaves on a Monday evening and gets to Bellingham on Friday. To catch this ferry, you'll need to leave Anchorage around midnight to get to Haines a couple of hours before the ferry departs.

As an alternative, you can take a ferry to Prince Rupert. Direct ferries usually leave on Thursday and get to Prince Rupert on Saturday. There's usually a second ferry to Prince Rupert each week, but you'll need to transfer in Juneau and likely spend the night. Also the ferry to Prince Rupert is much cheaper and likely cuts a day off from the Bellingham run (with the added driving time).

The ferries may offer some whale and wildlife viewing, but they don't stop to view (will sometimes slow down). For a cabin near the water, your best bet is arriving a day early finding a place in Haines. You'll likely miss any tours as the tourist season shuts down about the 3rd week in September. If you're an AAA member, you can get their travel books to supplement the Milepost.

The weather should be good with mostly rain and cloudy conditions. There's always a chance of an early snowstorm though. There's enough traffic so you won't need a lot of emergency supplies (sleeping bags, some water and food/snacks). Gas shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let it get too low. Figure you'll have anywhere from 13.5 to 11 hours of daylight during that period.

Eat at Fast Eddy's in Tok. For that matter, spend the night in Tok instead of Delta Junction and eat dinner and breakfast there.
Maybe they want to stay at Delta Junction because it is the official end of the Alaska Highway. There is some touristy stuff to do and look at in town.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:34 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Maybe they want to stay at Delta Junction because it is the official end of the Alaska Highway. There is some touristy stuff to do and look at in town.
They can still do that when they drive through.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Day 3 - Canadian Border to Edmonton......You can make it to the border up to Dawson Creek, BC in a day if you try. I'd bypass Edmonton, crazy place to drive around it.
Day 4 - Edmonton to Fort Nelson
Day 5 - Fort Nelson to White Horse........don't drive between the two at night. Lots of critters.
Day 6 - White Horse to Delta Junction...You can make it to Fairbanks in a day.
Day 7 - Delta Junction to Denali...2.5 hours from Fairbanks to Denali...most of the park will be closed. You can drive the first fifteen miles by yourself at this point in the year.
Day 9 - Anchorage to Haines...This is doable if you leave early. Keep in mind it's rather bumpy the first 100 miles or so of the Alcan...frost heaves.

This is obviously rough, we have 21 days and have 15 planned for driving.

So, given all that, I have a few questions.

1.) Is this a realistic thing to consider? I know we will be driving nearly everyday all day, but thats a road trip, and we like doing things like that. It's doable.

2.) Other than the MilePost (i have that already) can any one recommend any other good guide books.
Your Gateway to the Circumpolar North - ExploreNorth
3.) We would like to do some whale watching maybe even a tour via a plane
Thar she blows...

4.) Where is a good place to stay for a few night that is remote and by the water.

5.) What are roads like mid september to october. Roads are fine...

6.) what is the weather like that time of year and how much day light can we expect?

7.) good places to eat?
Fast Eddy's Tok. Gas Station at Destruction Bay Yukon. Your choice in Whitehorse, the restaurant at the airport is great. Jake's Corner in Yukon, great food. Contact Creek has good burgers. Toad River Lodge has good food, open year round. The chicken place in Fort Nelson, good breakfasts. Buckinghorse in British Columbia is another great stop for any food.

8.) any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Pull over and rest if you are tired, don't say "next rest area I'll pull over," it takes forever to get there when tired. Try not to drive at night, there are a lot of moose, deer, elk, caribou, deer, bison and bears on the road at all times. They are almost impossible to see at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska