Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:15 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Ok, that's horrible but it made me laugh hahah.

You better hope to god that your hiking partner doesn't survive or you're going to have some splainin' to do.
"I was excited and the gun went off." nuff said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
The post from the Alaska outdoor forum were not mine they are others experience / opinion. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem. It's all good.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Well many times I have had bear encounters, fired a warning shot and they ran off, never reported it anywhere because it wasn't unusual, many times just waving your arms and yelling at it will cause them to leave.... Did I mention I waved holding my .44?

I think that study gun verses bear spray is pretty much tilted towards bear spray, one as a sales tool, but generally people carrying bear spray aren't hunters and will spray and it won't even come close to the bear and yet it runs off and they assume it was because of the spray.

I have sprayed two bears, both during the Exxon Valdez oil spill clean up in Katmai National Park because they wouldn't allow us to carry a gun! Both weren't charging, but they were putting their snot locker too close to my personal space, and I hosed them from about four and six feet away. They didn't run off, because their head was bright orange and the pepper spray burned their eyes and nose... So they were rather pissed, which is why I left the area.... Quickly!

The one bear I did shoot in self defense was almost Fourty years ago, and I took it as a hunt, so it was never reported as a charge either, but it was shot six time with an 870 pump from about ten feet, it kept getting up... Til the last slug! At the time I smoked, and shook so badly afterit was over, it took almost half an hour before I could stop shaking to pick up one of the dozen or so broken cigarettes on the ground to light, same thing on trying to reload, couldn't even hold a shell to get the gun reloaded. But the entire time I was shooting, it was in slow motion, and I can remember how cool and calm I thought I was until after all was said and done, then I just started to shake....

Last edited by starlite9; 03-17-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

I have sprayed two bears, both during the Exxon Valdez oil spill clean up in Katmai National Park because they wouldn't allow us to carry a gun! Both weren't charging, but they were putting their snot locker too close to my personal space, and I hosed them from about four and six feet away. They didn't run off, because their head was bright orange and the pepper spray burned their eyes and nose... So they were rather pissed, which is why I left the area.... Quickly!
I was based in Chignik walking beaches during this time. Ran into a lot of bears there too. Didn't shoot or spray any though. We must have been almost on the same sections of beach.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 AM

868 posts, read 1,426,095 times
All I know is, if I go hiking with anyone, I am going to take a good, hard look at their footwear first. If they are wearing track shoes, I'm out.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I was based in Chignik walking beaches during this time. Ran into a lot of bears there too. Didn't shoot or spray any though. We must have been almost on the same sections of beach.

Could have been, I was a consultant to Exxon on the spill and I spent a lot of time in the air, boats and walking beaches to find oil to send crews to.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:55 PM

61 posts, read 99,736 times
hopping if its hit enough times at least everyone else will make it out.. if you disable a car going 35 mph it usually doesn't turn around and attack other cars after its crashed into you......

Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykids View Post
hopping if its hit enough times at least everyone else will make it out.. if you disable a car going 35 mph it usually doesn't turn around and attack other cars after its crashed into you......

This will stop a charging car.... If not, it is a lot of fun trying!

Every fifth one is a red tracer, so do the numbers....

M134 Gatling Gun Highlights - YouTube

Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Best defense against a bear is your brain. Considering where your going, what you do when you get there, taking precautions, etc.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Best defense against a bear is your brain. Considering where your going, what you do when you get there, taking precautions, etc.

Here is some info to go along with that advice! Very graphic, so get some popcorn....

Grizzly Bear Man - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska