Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,819,171 times

Advertisements

Nikon and Canon are both good and what notrees says is true about when you get to a certain level its your individual skill limitations, not the camera. I like Nikon because they specialize in cameras only, whereas Canon makes other crap like printers.

I will now tell you why I hate Sony and highly recommend staying away from everything they make. They make so much stuff of poor quality in other areas that I dont see how anyone can trust their products. Their sound system quality stuff in terms of speakers, amplifers, and cd players is downright awful. Some of the worst I have ever heard in my life next to Jensen. They had a line for awhile named "Xplode", for good reason I might add, in that it did just that. They have had laptop battery recalls for exploding and leaking. If you do your own research you will find horror stories from Sony all over the place. I wont even tell you how many times I have personally taken a baseball bat to a Sony Playstation. Avoid Sony at all costs unless you like replacing stuff yearly.

I have a Nikon D90, which is the newest model of amateur camera they make. The picture quality is phenomenal, easily that of cameras several times what I paid. I am just now starting to get additional lenses for it to experiment with for different shots. Here is a few samples I took last weekend while climbing one of the dozens of mountains around here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,268,848 times
I shoot with a 40D Canon, I love it. I'm still learning it. I want the 50D next just to have it. Also wants more glass. Some planes last night.

No flap landing...hanging onto the prop

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,302,379 times
Pentax K10D user here. I've use Pentax for many years, from film and now digital, and will most likely continue to use Pentax for years to come.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,795,388 times
I shoot with a 40D Canon, I love it. I'm still learning it. I want the 50D next just to have it. Also wants more glass. Some planes last night.

Warpt....how much ya got saved up.....Canon 50D $699, free shipping at Bingo.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,281,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post

Warpt....how much ya got saved up.....Canon 50D $699, free shipping at Bingo.
At bhphotovideo.com it is listed for $1199. The $699 sounds like a scam.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
done business with them in the past and have had no problems.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
maybe I was just a lucky one with them. but there still are places somewhat cheaper than $1199.
Seller Seller Rating Price (USD) Total Price Availability Purchase
Featured Seller
See Rating Best Value
$939.00

Free shipping Enter ZIP Code:

In Stock

Low Prices
& Fast Shipping!!!

Broadway Photo

See Rating $947.00
Free shipping In Stock
Topchoicedig...

Featured Seller
See Rating $1,199.00 In Stock

Free Shipping with Amazon Prime
Amazon.com

Featured Seller
See Rating $927.00
Lowest Price
In Stock

Brand New

Featured Seller
See Rating $929.00 In Stock

Brand New
TVsDepot.com

See Rating $1,399.99 In Stock
Sixth Avenue...

Featured Seller
See Rating $1,199.00 In Stock
Abes of Maine

See Rating $939.00
Free shipping In Stock
Prestige Cam...

Featured Seller
See Rating $945.00
Free shipping In Stock

Full Mfr.Warranty
Ships Same Day!
IBuyDigital.com

See Rating $1,049.00
Free shipping In Stock

FREE SHIPPING!
Dbuys.com

See Rating $962.00
Free shipping In Stock

Low Prices & Great Service
Wild Digital...
Click to see prices from all 18 sellers »

Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,791,044 times
I was told what often is sold by the Internet discount shops is equipment "Made in Phillipines" not in Japan. Fakes. Adorama is a reputable source. Sort of hard to browse IMHO.

I am buying Canon T1i right about now and looking for a best buy. Safe best buy. I will buy on the Internet as there is no tax and free shipping. And than there is the extended warranty issue.
But 15mega, full HD movie and large screen/ electronics from upper end models that finally came down to consumer cameras.
Not the NY stores- there are real horror stories about those guys- same owner, giving themselves positive opinions. I called one once asking for an underwater camera that I was going to buy for a friend in Poland. And had not much time before leaving. The emotionless voice of the guy: yes, we have it in stock, yes you should get it on time just raised my guard. He just did not care. I bought it elswhere and got it on time. My friends with Nikon D300, Canon 50D all bought at Adorama. Plus lenses. Things out of stock get charged only when stock arrives. No gimmicks. That's all I can say.

Grannys, with the new models just on the market, the basic digital slr models became much cheaper and they are still great cameras for half the money!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,357,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
I was told what often is sold by the Internet discount shops is equipment "Made in Phillipines" not in Japan. Fakes. Adorama is a reputable source. Sort of hard to browse IMHO.

I am buying Canon T1i right about now and looking for a best buy. Safe best buy. I will buy on the Internet as there is no tax and free shipping. And than there is the extended warranty issue.
But 15mega, full HD movie and large screen/ electronics from upper end models that finally came down to consumer cameras.
Not the NY stores- there are real horror stories about those guys- same owner, giving themselves positive opinions. I called one once asking for an underwater camera that I was going to buy for a friend in Poland. And had not much time before leaving. The emotionless voice of the guy: yes, we have it in stock, yes you should get it on time just raised my guard. He just did not care. I bought it elswhere and got it on time. My friends with Nikon D300, Canon 50D all bought at Adorama. Plus lenses. Things out of stock get charged only when stock arrives. No gimmicks. That's all I can say.

Grannys, with the new models just on the market, the basic digital slr models became much cheaper and they are still great cameras for half the money!
B&H, and Adorama are from NY, and perhaps the most reputable camera dealers in the US. There are a few others, too. But B&H is huge!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,281,053 times
I cited the B&H price because that establishes a baseline price. I can understand a store offering, say, $100-$150 less than B&H, but $699 points to a sure scam.

It is always best to buy from reputed vendors like B&H, Adorama (these two set the gold standard), Amazon, 17th Street Photo, Calumet Photo, Canoga Camera and so on. You may not get the cheapest deals here, but you can sleep well knowing you bought a genuine article. Then there are the return policies. These reputed stores will easily swap out a defective item or give you a quick refund. Not so with the other stores which often make you run through hoops.

Don't fall for the sweet deals at these stray online stores. It is often a bait & switch. Snare you in with what sounds like a super deal, but then you discover that you have to buy the battery separately, or there is no warranty, or to get that super deal you have to buy a stack of compact flash cards. Suddenly the super deal doesn't look so super.

Bottomline: stick to the reputed stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska