Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,684,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's a true statement. I can tell you about the Canon camera's and lenses I use, but could not tell about brands I don't use. But long ago I used a Nikon F3, which I still have in storage. In addition to the Canon lenses I have I use a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, and a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens I often recommend. There are a few other things :filters, extension tubes, teleconverter, etc., but since the digital cameras I use are Canon, anything I say will be bias toward Canon.
Quite frankly Ray, you have a history of making blatantly fanboi statements about cameras and other photographic equipment. (Granted, not on C-D, but on other forums where photography is the topic.)

Not that you are alone in doing that, nor particularly worse than others. (Nor does it have any connection at all to your photography.) But there is a difference between answering someone's question about a Canon camera, which is where your expertize is quite valuable, and recommending a Canon camera based on the fact that you own one when the question is about doing some specific type of photography and requests a camera recommendation.

It is not necessary that one own or use every kind of camera before they discuss variations between makes and models either. But such discussion should be based on real differences that have significance, and probably should include discussion of that signifiance. Saying that you own and are happy with a given Make/Model has no value at all on its own. Telling someone which features that two models have that are different and how the difference will affect a given style of photography is the kind of useful discussion that helps. (It even helps when it's wrong! Someone will pop up and correct the errors; but nobody can correct an "I own it, you'll love it too" recommendation.) That type of discussion can also be noted as the reason you own/use a given model of camera... just as long as it isn't the ownership that is being marketed as a reason someone else should buy one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,303,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Neph,

I think the sharpening setting in your camera or in PP is turned on way too much. The sharpening halos artifacts detract from what are otherwise good shots.
I had just changed some settings that day, guess I'll change em back.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,362,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Quite frankly Ray, you have a history of making blatantly fanboi statements about cameras and other photographic equipment. (Granted, not on C-D, but on other forums where photography is the topic.)

Not that you are alone in doing that, nor particularly worse than others. (Nor does it have any connection at all to your photography.) But there is a difference between answering someone's question about a Canon camera, which is where your expertize is quite valuable, and recommending a Canon camera based on the fact that you own one when the question is about doing some specific type of photography and requests a camera recommendation.

It is not necessary that one own or use every kind of camera before they discuss variations between makes and models either. But such discussion should be based on real differences that have significance, and probably should include discussion of that signifiance. Saying that you own and are happy with a given Make/Model has no value at all on its own. Telling someone which features that two models have that are different and how the difference will affect a given style of photography is the kind of useful discussion that helps. (It even helps when it's wrong! Someone will pop up and correct the errors; but nobody can correct an "I own it, you'll love it too" recommendation.) That type of discussion can also be noted as the reason you own/use a given model of camera... just as long as it isn't the ownership that is being marketed as a reason someone else should buy one too.
Floyd,

And you have quite a reputation for getting into endless arguments about your views on every subject (from cameras to everything under the sun earth is closest to), views which by the way-are the only right ones in this galaxy. When we argue about cameras and photos, I always ask you to post some of your masterpieces for all to see, as proof of the correctness of your endless arguments.

Just like another poster has mentioned, I can only speak (if asked) about cameras I use. I am not a professional photographer, just a person who likes to take photos, and for the same of this thread, I am not getting involved in your endless and boring arguments.
-------
Just have a nice Memorial Day weekend, Floyd! Relax by the BBQ a little, for life is not that bad. Oh, yes! Post some of your BBQ pictures or something, as long as it relates to Alaska. All the arguing and tantrums will take you nowhere but to the land of hypertension.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-24-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,684,012 times
Quote:
When we argue about cameras and photos, I always ask you to post some of your masterpieces for all to see, as proof of the correctness of your endless arguments.
I'll send you a price list if you'd like...

But frankly that not logical at all.

Quote:
All the arguing and tantrums will take you nowhere but to the land of hypertension.
Take you meds and follow your doctor's instructions.

None of which will make a fanboi post anything other than just a fanboi post.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:55 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,428,796 times
Quote:
Have you heard of a product called Reje-X? Somebody was telling me that he applies a layer of this product (like wax) to the leading edges of his aircraft, and the insects splattered there come off much easier. Some are advertising the product to use on automobiles, but I haven't seen it at NAPA. I wonder if it is such a good product?
I have not heard of that.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Had a great day out on Eklutna Lake. We walked the shore trail for about 8 miles. What a great area this is.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM

Here's one more. Eli with his saddle bags on. He carried our water and lunch.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,044,098 times
Your photos always bring a smile to my face Ed. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks Chris.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,271,779 times
Then again, Barkley is always smiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska