Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 01:30 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,477,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes. That one was not "web ready." The ones I have web ready are smaller in size for posting or e-mailing to friends and such. It was after I posted the second one that I realized that i had posted the wrong version. Large photos slow down the page-loading time, so I try to avoid posting those. They do look better on the screen

I have been using a Canon 40D for over a year now. Prior to the 40D, I used a Rebel XT for approximately four years, and my wife uses that one now. For landscapes I use a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens, then a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as walk around. For macro shots or close-ups, I had been using a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L telephoto with a Kenko 12mm tube (the photos of flowers above), but now use a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. The 200mm f/2.8L I mostly use for taking photos of moose and smaller wildlife close-by, but for longer shots I use a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L prime.
Used the 200mm lens for these two:
The 100 macro for this one:
And 400mm for this one:
Got it. Thanks. Stunning pics And what do you think about Nikon D40?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 PM

218 posts, read 520,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I checked the link you posted and it gives a price of $599.00 !!??? is it the wrong link??? thanks
That's the regular price, when you "add it to cart" and view cart it says $399 and then you apply the discount. You have to actually add it to see it as $399.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,801,057 times
oh dang!!! I waited for your response and missed it as it doesn't come up now when I click on the link!! I should have taken the risk and tried the check out thing. If you see another great deal please post it as I am trying to purchase the camera we need for great shots in Alaska!! thanks

Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,375,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Got it. Thanks. Stunning pics And what do you think about Nikon D40?
The D40 does not have an auto-focus motor in the body. That's how Nikon kept its size small. It means that some one can't use older Nikon lenses, although some people have figured how to stop-down these lenses and still focus manually. It's also an old camera design that will probably be replaced very soon. Other than the lens compatibility issue I mentioned above, which by the way relates to bodies just below the Nikon D80, it's a nice little camera. Nikon just released the D5000, but unless I misread some of the reviews, it has the same lens issues as the D40-D60. However, this is not really a problem if you can afford the slightly more expensive lenses. I would advise that you look at the D200, D300, or the D80 and D90 instead. If you want video, then the entry-level D5000 should be fine.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,383,571 times
Blueflames the cheapest I have found the Nikon d40 online is $409 (free s/h) from Camera Kings.
Nikon D40 , 6.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens Kit (http://www.camerakings.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=10160167&l=Pronto - broken link)
Not quite as low in price as Quakinators link but as far as can tell, for today that is, this is
the bottom price.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:26 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,281,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have been using a Canon 40D for over a year now. Prior to the 40D, I used a Rebel XT for approximately four years, and my wife uses that one now. For landscapes I use a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens, then a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as walk around. For macro shots or close-ups, I had been using a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L telephoto with a Kenko 12mm tube (the photos of flowers above), but now use a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. The 200mm f/2.8L I mostly use for taking photos of moose and smaller wildlife close-by, but for longer shots I use a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L prime.
Good pictures, RayinAK. The 200mm f/2.8 L is an excellent lens and a bargain (compared to its f/2.0 brother). And of course, the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro is sharpness taken to extremes.

I just put in an order for a couple of 5D Mark II bodies to replace my older 5D bodies. Those are the ones I will hopefully bring to Alaska.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM

149 posts, read 368,311 times
nice fishing rance

Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,064,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
I just put in an order for a couple of 5D Mark II bodies to replace my older 5D bodies. Those are the ones I will hopefully bring to Alaska.
Nice! You were able to find one in stock somewhere? Let alone 2! I've been shooting a MkII for about a month now. Sweet camera. You may want to pick up another hard drive or two. The RAW files out of that camera are huge!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,281,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Nice! You were able to find one in stock somewhere? Let alone 2! I've been shooting a MkII for about a month now. Sweet camera. You may want to pick up another hard drive or two. The RAW files out of that camera are huge!
I had both BHPhotovideo and Adorama on my watch list. The latter received stock last week and notified me. I see that BH today had them in stock in the morning but by evening they were all sold out. You may have read that the dSLR manufacturers have severely cut down on production. See this link if you haven't -

LensRentals.com - State of the SLR Market -2009

I have plenty of hard drive space. What I need to do now is put in an order for Singh-Ray ND Grads.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,064,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
I had both BHPhotovideo and Adorama on my watch list. The latter received stock last week and notified me. I see that BH today had them in stock in the morning but by evening they were all sold out. You may have read that the dSLR manufacturers have severely cut down on production. See this link if you haven't -

LensRentals.com - State of the SLR Market -2009

I have plenty of hard drive space. What I need to do now is put in an order for Singh-Ray ND Grads.
Yes, I read that article. I take it you saw that link on FM as I did? And yes, I've been noticing how quickly B&H has been going in and out of stock. You may have noticed my post on FM about trying to get the Eg-D Grid Focusing Screen for the MkII, which BTW are now out of stock again as well! I'm beginning to think that Canon has cut it's 5D2 production unit to resemble that of my my favorite line of Telescopes, which can be just as elusive to find in stock as the MkII:

takahashi visit (http://www.sbig.com/mb/tak/takpics.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska