Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times

Advertisements

I have a few quick questions about this beautiful phenomonon.... how often do they occur, and between what months? Are there any areas in Alaska that are more prone to witnessing the lights? Any certain time of night do they occur the most?

Sorry if these questions sound silly, Ive yet to see some and dont know very much about them. I hear that people in Chicago have seen them, but I have not. I want to take the wife to Alaska, and I want her to experience the lights, its something she has wanted to see for a long time now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM

131 posts, read 533,307 times
I can get you a few answers. They happen all the time but March and Sept/Nov are the best months as the earth orbit is ideal for them plus you have enough darkness in these months

Within the Cities they are hard to see and Anchorage rarely gets anything major and you have to leave the city to see them.

Anywhere near the Arctic Circle makes for very good views. Alaska is by far the best place to view them in the US. Canada has some great views as well. North Dakota and Wisconsin get a lot but not as strong as Alaska.

Hope this helps

Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM

144 posts, read 744,153 times
The colder it is, the more likely you are to see them. I am sure some scientifically-oriented person can say why... I think it's more clear when it's colder (-30 and lower...)???

Anecdotally - I saw them a few times from outside Champaign, IL. Specifically I remember once was on Halloween and the others were in March.

The Geophysical Institute at UAF has all the info you'd ever want... including up-to-the-hour forcasting(!!!) The Geophysical Institute Auroral Forecast Page
The FAQ section has the answers you're looking for I think.

I will tell you that some of the natural hot-springs resorts have big viewings in the winter... ex: Chena Hot Springs Resort is north of Fairbanks in a very remote area... you can sit in the hot springs in sub-zero temps and view the lights, it's a nice gig. Very popular all winter for Japanese tourists seeking to view the lights.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
I will be watching this thread very carefully - because you asked a lot of good questions that I'm interested in as well - but I wanted to mention to you guys, the coolest thing in the world, when I was ...(mm, I was only like 11 years old at the time) I was flying back to the states when I saw the northern lights.... you think standing on the ground watching the magic is cool? try being in midair, in pitch black, and have the swirly lights flying around YOU!! It had to be the most interesting thing I've ever seen yet, and I can't wait to see them again when I get up there.

/three cheers for a good thread!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Thank you ALL for the info! Youve answered my questions and Im very grateful for that. Keep the stories/hints/tips/etc coming....

Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Alaska View Post
Anecdotally - I saw them a few times from outside Champaign, IL. Specifically I remember once was on Halloween and the others were in March.
Doggone it! Im unlucky I guess. Im so anxious to see a nice display.

Oooh, one more question. How long does the "show" normally last?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,197 times
I have seen the Aurora quite a few times here in Anchorage, though it was up on the mountain away from most of the city. Losercore is right in reguards to the difficulty in seeing them, due to the city lights. When you do see them, they will last for hours up to all night long.

I made the drive up to Alaska from Oregon in March of 2003. I was driving through the Yukon and they were breathtaking. I wish I had a camera at the time. Yukon is almost pure wilderness with very few lights. I can't stress enough how beautiful the Aurora was. They literally lit up the sky. I remember pulling over and laying down, and just dreaming. It was pretty awesome. Hopefully you guys will get to experience something like that.

The reason you see them more often in the winters, is that we have clear skies frequently. Generally if it is below zero, it will be clear. So places like Fairbanks and Barrow get even more clear skies, and the Aurora can be seen more often.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 AM

52 posts, read 461,485 times
Default No northern lights for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
I will be watching this thread very carefully - because you asked a lot of good questions that I'm interested in as well - but I wanted to mention to you guys, the coolest thing in the world, when I was ...(mm, I was only like 11 years old at the time) I was flying back to the states when I saw the northern lights.... you think standing on the ground watching the magic is cool? try being in midair, in pitch black, and have the swirly lights flying around YOU!! It had to be the most interesting thing I've ever seen yet, and I can't wait to see them again when I get up there.

/three cheers for a good thread!
I am envious! That sounds so beautiful. I have lived in Anchorage for going on two years now and have not seen them yet. That was way up on my list of reasons to move here: seeing those northern lights. I know the city lights make it impossible, but I keep hoping maybe sometime I will see them when it is cold out without having to drive way out of town.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
Default I would feel rather cheated. . . .

if I lived up in Anchorage, and never was able to see the northern lights.

With all the city lights, I can understand how it won't really be plausible, so *coughs quietly* that's when you jump in the passenger seat of the truck, initiate a few-hour road trip up North, with a picinic basket, a blankie, and some hot chocolate ^_^ and you make for an unforgettable evening!

There are some awesome websites that are constantly monitoring the progress and patterns of the Aurora borealis as well. I would look into these. And don't be afraid to go explore!!

AURORA BOREALIS
Auroras: Paintings in the Sky
www.aurora-b.com
Aurora Borealis Page <-- my favorite
The Aurora Page

Enjoy! ..and don't forget your blankie!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I've heard them. They crackle. And I am not kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska