Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times

Advertisements

Well you will just have to make a early March road trip north to experience such a sight and sound. :0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Oh I've seen auroras before. Very beautiful. I wish I had taken pictures...

Old 12-23-2007, 06:55 AM

24 posts, read 85,547 times
My girlfriend and I are considering a drive up to Deadhorse on the Dalton highway (road?) when we roadtrip to AK around August - might our chances of seeing the lights increase above the arctic circle and up towards the arctic ocean, in spite of it being the middle of the 'off-season' ?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
(yelling) HEY DUSTY, THEY MAKE NOISE LIKE RICE CRISPY TREATS! My ears ring constantly, too. I can still hear high pitch things though. Don't know how long that'll last though.
It really does have an upside, when the rest of the audience squirms and puts their hands over their ears at the "feedback" from a microphone, I don't hear that either. Of course, suspicious nature that she has, my wife claims I have selective hearing, I normally respond with a "What?"

Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauteDeMieux View Post
My girlfriend and I are considering a drive up to Deadhorse on the Dalton highway (road?) when we roadtrip to AK around August - might our chances of seeing the lights increase above the arctic circle and up towards the arctic ocean, in spite of it being the middle of the 'off-season' ?
No. Above the Arctic Circle the sun does not set from May 10 through August 2, and there is no chance of seeing the northernlights during the day. Even by the end of August there will still be around 18 hours of daylight, and the 6 hours of "night" will not be dark enough to see any northernlight activity.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I drove up the haul road this last August. Clear skies everyday/night. We never saw any. You will see some scenery that will take your mind completely off the northern lights so don't worry about that.

They do sort of sound like rice crispies crackling. Or like the ice in the bay that has calved off a glacier.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I drove up the haul road this last August. Clear skies everyday/night. We never saw any. You will see some scenery that will take your mind completely off the northern lights so don't worry about that.

They do sort of sound like rice crispies crackling. Or like the ice in the bay that has calved off a glacier.
Yup, rice crispies, that is indeed another way to describe it! And yes!!! I remember well our tour of the fjords, couldn't tell for sure if it was just my ears doing their thing or the sound of a glacier calving, well.....not the calving part, that tends to be more of a splash, but the sound of whatever it is in the ice crackling, (air pockets?) (fault lines?) (gremlins?)

Old 12-23-2007, 01:45 PM

24 posts, read 85,547 times
Thanks Glitch and Rance. Will have to save that for another trip, I guess!

Old 12-23-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
(yelling) HEY DUSTY, THEY MAKE NOISE LIKE RICE CRISPY TREATS! My ears ring constantly, too. I can still hear high pitch things though. Don't know how long that'll last though.
OOOH, no need to yell, ya might wake up the dogs, then, they yell back, as they say in Spanish "Mucho Racket!!"
(Well.... that may not be an exact quote from the Spanish) but ya get da picture.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I've never heard the Northern Lights, so I wouldn't know what it sounds like. But from descriptions, it doesn't sound like a high pitched noise...
Wow, I can get both auditory and visual imagery here, winter, night, standing on a hilltop in 2 feet of snow listening to Aurora crackle against the background sound of a symphony of Crickets, watching the lights dance across the sky. Now, if my dogs could just howl in key....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska