Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 05:17 AM

11,822 posts, read 5,811,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Mighty potent crack you're smoking there.
Why do you say that? I enjoy the diversity down here and have never seen racism like I did up in NY. As blue as they are - there is definite racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 07:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,098,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Why do you say that? I enjoy the diversity down here and have never seen racism like I did up in NY. As blue as they are - there is definite racism.
Great. Two threads on CNBC to give them free advertising.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,399,104 times
Having have lived in Alabama for 5+ years now (I am retired), I do not think the CNBC is that far off. Sorry, folks, no offense meant.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:24 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,908,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Having have lived in Alabama for 5+ years now (I am retired), I do not think the CNBC is that far off. Sorry, folks, no offense meant.
Gee living on Ono Island in Orange Beach I'm sure you are in the pulse of the Alabama experience!
Alabama has some issues like not expanding Medicaid for our most vulnerable and taxing undeveloped forest land as "Tree Farms" at a rate of around a dollar an acre which puts a tremendous financial burden on the extreme rural communities for financing. I wish Blue Cross/Blue Shield and ALFA didn't control our legislators but like you, we chose Alabama to retire in. Personally I think it is a great place to live.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:56 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

I don't doubt that. But the statement 'less racism than any other place in America'? Surely you don't agree with something that detached from reality.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:54 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,098,570 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that. But the statement 'less racism than any other place in America'? Surely you don't agree with something that detached from reality.
It appears he does since that was the posted comments. New York City (aka blue city) has actually residents that are racist. Not sure if the census bureau tracks whose state is more racist as a category like some on here seem to be calculating.

This thread is sinking to areas just like CNBC planned on it going with their fact-less “study” that basically said only blue states were habitable.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:12 AM

21 posts, read 12,588 times
CNBC is ranking Alabama so low because their viewership in this state is just about a net zero.

I cannot remember the last time I looked at any of their shows.

People in Alabama are very conservative, and they're believers in less government and lower taxation. And they get what they pay for--with extremely low property taxes.

The biggest problem is the state's image which couldn't be any different from the truth. We're here for the fabulous Tennessee River--650 miles of the best inland cruising in the U.S. And the standard of living in much of this state far exceeds many of those northern states looking down their noses at southerners.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:02 PM

11,822 posts, read 5,811,315 times
Quote:
There are people who are racist in every state but I have not seen that down here in Alabama myself. Whereas there were many situations back in NY that I noticed. A woman who was a secretary to the head of orthopedics at Children's Hospital who stated to me she hated clinics and dealing with all those knobby haired children.

My next door neighbors who worked at a university. She worked for 2 gay professors and was always making fun of them, as well as them getting upset because the neighbor down the street moved out of town allowing her daughter and black boyfriend to live there. And when they had a baby - I thought they'd both faint. They were both liberal Democrats and yet were so biased and racists I had to laugh.

Maybe it's because so many down here are religious and follow Christ's teachings. I left the church long ago but I have not seen the misconception that northerners have of anyone who lives in the south. The only thing I've seen is a couple of "redneck" trucks but have to give them credit for being innovative.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:11 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,399,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Gee living on Ono Island in Orange Beach I'm sure you are in the pulse of the Alabama experience!
Alabama has some issues like not expanding Medicaid for our most vulnerable and taxing undeveloped forest land as "Tree Farms" at a rate of around a dollar an acre which puts a tremendous financial burden on the extreme rural communities for financing. I wish Blue Cross/Blue Shield and ALFA didn't control our legislators but like you, we chose Alabama to retire in. Personally I think it is a great place to live.
Gregg, Ono Island is not the fine place that folks think it is. It is okay, at best, based on my 60 years wandering the planet. I find the geography and climate very nice, I will admit. I find the social, political and educational environment very poor. It is just simply a very unnaccepting and unfriendly place unless you fit into the predominant demographic of being very conservative and excitedly awaiting snapper season. Did I make a mistake moving here? Likely, but I'm here for now.

Last edited by AnsleyPark; 02-02-2024 at 02:42 PM..

Old 02-02-2024, 03:23 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,908,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Gregg, Ono Island is not the fine place that folks think it is. It is okay, at best, based on my 60 years wandering the planet. I find the geography and climate very nice, I will admit. I find the social, political and educational environment very poor. It is just simply a very unnaccepting and unfriendly place unless you fit into the predominant demographic of being very conservative and excitedly awaiting snapper season. Did I make a mistake moving here? Likely, but I'm here for now.
We lived in Pawley's Island so I am quite familiar with your location.
It has been my experience after moving all over the SE plus the Caribbean, being happy is not up to the locals to snuggle up to you but the ball is in your court to make yourself at home.
No matter where you are, being a political creature as you seem to be, could create issues. Just as a note, we loved every place we lived including Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama