Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I mean, you wouldn't in your wildest dreams empty a snub-nosed .38 into someone who is elderly or has an immunocompromised system, would you? Yet if you inadvertently stroll around without taking precautions, that could be what you're doing. There is no material difference between the outcomes. Both result in funerals.
There is a HUGE difference! If you empty 38 into a person, their chances of death is 100%. If you stroll around without taking precautions the chance of death based upon the current numbers is around .01% based upon the current numbers here in Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 06:12 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Prediction: in about 4-6 weeks this situation will not look good for Alabama. Earlier in some areas.

Basing this only on numbers (of which data is limited) and my observation of human behavior within hours of ostensibly dropping all restrictions. As far as I can tell, the majority of the population is not opting to behave with a "safer at home" mentality, but is instead pretty much behaving normally.

We'll see how this goes down. I certainly hope my prediction proves false.
That's the problem - once the restrictions are eased, many interepret it as the danger being over. It's not. If you venture out now, very few are wearing masks. Stores should require employees and shoppers to wear masks; if not, go somewhere else.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:38 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
There is a HUGE difference! If you empty 38 into a person, their chances of death is 100%. If you stroll around without taking precautions the chance of death based upon the current numbers is around .01% based upon the current numbers here in Alabama.
Nothing personal, but you don't have the right to infect my family or my friends because you think the percentage of infection is low. Do you complain about wearing shoes and a shirt in a store? A mask is no different. Grow up and start thinking of others.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Nothing personal, but you don't have the right to infect my family or my friends because you think the percentage of infection is low. Do you complain about wearing shoes and a shirt in a store? A mask is no different. Grow up and start thinking of others.
Several things:
A, I was comparing emptying a 38 caliber into a person to the very remote chance of dying from this virus.
B, It is not "You Think", those are the actual percentages in the state of Alabama, do the math!
C, Please point out any statement I made that I don't wear a mask out in public?
D, The fact is, in Alabama, few of our citizens wear masks. You see them but it is not the overwhelming majority.
E, No need for insults, this is a discussion.......

Old 05-25-2020, 02:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Several things:
A, I was comparing emptying a 38 caliber into a person to the very remote chance of dying from this virus.
B, It is not "You Think", those are the actual percentages in the state of Alabama, do the math!
C, Please point out any statement I made that I don't wear a mask out in public?
D, The fact is, in Alabama, few of our citizens wear masks. You see them but it is not the overwhelming majority.
E, No need for insults, this is a discussion.......
Depends on where you live. In Baldwin county it's about 50/50 from what I see. Higher income areas are more likely to wear masks.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:16 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:

Around the state of Alabama? That just means we haven't felt the full brunt yet.

The US death rate for confirmed infections is 5.86%. The average flu outbreak, comparatively speaking, is 0.1%. The infection rate keeps rising day after day, chiefly because self-proclaimed experts listen to a couple of news broadcasts, typically slanted to their favorite political party, and blow it off. Lots of mindless halfwits out at the Home Depot wandering around without masks last week is evidence of that.

The hell of it? Had everyone simply followed the recommendations rather than whining about civil rights, this thing would be mostly licked. These are people who mewl about civil rights have obviously never read either the Federal or State constitution nor have they read American history. Read up on quarantine measures undertaken in places such as New York or Philadelphia in the early days of the Republic to learn how seriously they took threats to public health.

What's more, the coronavirus' slow manifestation makes it particularly insidious. Once again, you can literally have it for days and not know it, or not ever know you had it.

As far as the rest of your nonsense, dead is dead. If you are infected without realizing it, continue with business as usual, and give coronavirus to twenty people, on average you'll kill one of them. So there go you.

Right now, I am sitting with my 86-year-old mother in a hospital room in Birmingham. She is recovering from emergency surgery. But I am the only person allowed to be here, chiefly because the protocols are so strict. No one else is allowed to visit. I'm not allowed to leave her room. We have to exercise a laundry list of precautions. The hospital is down to skeletal crew.

These are medical professionals who understand disease transmission, epidemiology, and the overall risks. And they have practically shut down every bit of their operations except the most essential.

In other words, a hospital takes this deadly seriously, despite a direct effect on their operations and bottom line. I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about while you don't know bupkis.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Around the state of Alabama? That just means we haven't felt the full brunt yet.

The US death rate for confirmed infections is 5.86%. The average flu outbreak, comparatively speaking, is 0.1%. The infection rate keeps rising day after day, chiefly because self-proclaimed experts listen to a couple of news broadcasts, typically slanted to their favorite political party, and blow it off. Lots of mindless halfwits out at the Home Depot wandering around without masks last week is evidence of that.

Simple Math:
Population of Alabama, 4.91 Million
Death From the virus as of 5/25/2020. 562
Currently that equals .011% change of dying in Alabama from the Covid Virus.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Simple Math:

More like math for simpletons. It's just getting started.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:35 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:

The hell of it? Had everyone simply followed the recommendations rather than whining about civil rights, this thing would be mostly licked. These are people who mewl about civil rights have obviously never read either the Federal or State constitution nor have they read American history. Read up on quarantine measures undertaken in places such as New York or Philadelphia in the early days of the Republic to learn how seriously they took threats to public health.

What's more, the coronavirus' slow manifestation makes it particularly insidious. Once again, you can literally have it for days and not know it, or not ever know you had it.

As far as the rest of your nonsense, dead is dead. If you are infected without realizing it, continue with business as usual, and give coronavirus to twenty people, on average you'll kill one of them. So there go you.

Right now, I am sitting with my 86-year-old mother in a hospital room in Birmingham. She is recovering from emergency surgery. But I am the only person allowed to be here, chiefly because the protocols are so strict. No one else is allowed to visit. I'm not allowed to leave her room. We have to exercise a laundry list of precautions. The hospital is down to skeletal crew.

These are medical professionals who understand disease transmission, epidemiology, and the overall risks. And they have practically shut down every bit of their operations except the most essential.

In other words, a hospital takes this deadly seriously, despite a direct effect on their operations and bottom line. I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about while you don't know bupkis.
You are absolutely correct. I figure Drs Birx and Fauci know a lot more about viral transmission than I do, and they say wear a mask. I wear a mask when I go out - it's a simple thing to do.

I really wish our President and VP would set an example by masking up though. That too is such a simple thing.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Simple Math:
That's assuming all 4.9 million Alabamians are positive. They aren't.

We have about 14k confirmed cases, so that's about a 4% death rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama