Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Alabama to be in the Eastern time zone?
Yes 57 40.71%
No 83 59.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Does it seem kind of ridiculous to anybody else that you can drive I-20 from Birmingham all the way to its western terminus at I-10 in the west Texas desert without crossing into a different time zone? Does it also seem a bit odd that Phenix City is in a different time zone than Columbus, GA right across the river? Or how about being able to change time zones in southern Indiana by driving north or south?

Every time zone is supposed to be approximately 15° of longitude (360/24 = 15), and the closest line of longitude that's a multiple of 15 is 90°W, which passes well to the west of the Alabama/Georgia line. In fact, it passes west of the Alabama/Mississippi line as well, which illustrates just how absurd the current time zone boundary setup is.

Since 90°W passes directly through the urbanized areas of Memphis and New Orleans, it's not wise to place the time zone boundary there, so the best place for it would be the Alabama/Mississippi state line since there are no urban areas along it, and it's not too far to the east. For continuity's sake, this would also require all of Indiana to go Eastern, as well as Kentucky and Tennessee east of the Tennessee River.

Good idea, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 02:30 PM

309 posts, read 717,833 times
I agree, Alabama and Middle Tennessee are on the same longtitude as the part of the Midwest that is part of the Eastern time zone. but for some reason the line veers east in Kentucky.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Would you believe most of Georgia used to be in Central Time?

File:Time zone map of the United States 1913.tif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, per your question about Phenix City, several Alabama cities and counties that border Georgia observe Eastern, not Central, Time. These include Phenix City and eastern Russell County; Valley, Lannet and eastern Chambers County; and Smiths Station and eastern Lee County. Also, though unofficial, many people in Cleburne County (on I-20 at the state line) also observe Georgia time.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
I don't care. Use whatever.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:26 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Does it seem kind of ridiculous to anybody else that you can drive I-20 from Birmingham all the way to its western terminus at I-10 in the west Texas desert without crossing into a different time zone? Does it also seem a bit odd that Phenix City is in a different time zone than Columbus, GA right across the river? Or how about being able to change time zones in southern Indiana by driving north or south?

Every time zone is supposed to be approximately 15° of longitude (360/24 = 15), and the closest line of longitude that's a multiple of 15 is 90°W, which passes well to the west of the Alabama/Georgia line. In fact, it passes west of the Alabama/Mississippi line as well, which illustrates just how absurd the current time zone boundary setup is.

Since 90°W passes directly through the urbanized areas of Memphis and New Orleans, it's not wise to place the time zone boundary there, so the best place for it would be the Alabama/Mississippi state line since there are no urban areas along it, and it's not too far to the east. For continuity's sake, this would also require all of Indiana to go Eastern, as well as Kentucky and Tennessee east of the Tennessee River.

Good idea, huh?
No, not a good idea. Why would the counties in the NW part of the state considered part of the Chicago metro area want to be on a different time zone than Chicago? Makes no sense just to have continuity.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen
I agree, Alabama and Middle Tennessee are on the same longtitude as the part of the Midwest that is part of the Eastern time zone. but for some reason the line veers east in Kentucky.
Yes it IS strange isnt it??

Technically BAMA should be EASTERN TIME!! (@ least some of the state)

Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Would you believe most of Georgia used to be in Central Time?

File:Time zone map of the United States 1913.tif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, per your question about Phenix City, several Alabama cities and counties that border Georgia observe Eastern, not Central, Time. These include Phenix City and eastern Russell County; Valley, Lannet and eastern Chambers County; and Smiths Station and eastern Lee County. Also, though unofficial, many people in Cleburne County (on I-20 at the state line) also observe Georgia time.
I didnt know that about GA..interesting.

Those East Alabama counties you mention are also included in Georgia TV markets.

Russell, Chambers, Lee and Barbour counties are in the Columbus, GA market.

TRUCK ADS® | Columbus (GA) TV Designated Media Market Area Map | Mobile Billboards | Truck Side Advertising

Cleburne and Randolph counties are in the Atlanta TV market.

TRUCK ADS® | Atlanta TV Designated Media Market Area Map | Mobile Billboards | Truck Side Advertising

Those TV stations are of course run programming on an eastern time schedule.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
The boundaries have to be drawn somewhere. There really isn't anywhere in Alabama, besides maybe Phenix City, that justify a need to do that.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Let's see. This morning I had to wake up in darkness at 6 a.m. It was barely dawn at 7 a.m. when I took my son to school. Why on earth would I want to wake up two hours before dawn instead of one? That makes zero sense.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's see. This morning I had to wake up in darkness at 6 a.m. It was barely dawn at 7 a.m. when I took my son to school. Why on earth would I want to wake up two hours before dawn instead of one? That makes zero sense.
I think its not that complicated. Like right now it would be 7:25 if Alabama were on eastern time. So sunset would be closer to 8pm. The only thing that would change for most of us is just moving clocks an one hr forward.

Television programming would change slightly with morning shows like "The Today Show", "Good Morning America", and "CBS Morning News" being aired live, instead of tape delay. Prime time shows would start at 8p, the late news would be at 11p.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama