Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,087 times

Advertisements

We have the USS Alabama at Mobile. We have great state parks and beautiful beaches with the most friendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 PM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
It is not awful during the summer. While the temperature may be in the 90s or so and the humidity will suck the soul out of you, it is not awful.

Rather than driving I75N to I10, I recommend getting on US98W in around Gainesville - that way you get to visit Apalachicola and the FLA Panhandle. There are several State Parks along the route for camping, as well as the cities of Panama City Beach and Pensacola. Pensacola has the Naval Air Museum and Fort Pickens (great fort and beachside camping) and beaches.

If you take I10W, then get on US98W no later than Pensacola in order to visit Orange Beach Alabama. The Florabama restaurant on the State line is a good stop. Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores offers camping - LuLu's restaurant is fun for kids - Jimmy Buffet's sister. From Gulf Shores you have a choice: north to Mobile (USS Alabama Battleship Park) or west to Fort Morgan (great fort). There is a Tacky Jack's restaurant (local 'chain') at Fort Morgan. There is a car ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island. Dauphin Island has Fort Gaines (beach camping) and Audubon Sanctuary, plus is close to Mary's Restaurant in Coden. Being on the west side of Mobile Bay you can take in Bellingrath Gardens on the way back to I10 and Mobile.

For the New Orleans to Franklin TN trip most people take I10 to I59 to I65. The Alabama section of that trip takes you through Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and Huntsville. Just north of BHM is Cullman, home of the Ave Maria Grotto - "Jerusalem in Miniature" - it's close to I65 and worth a visit.

more later.

Great suggestion ! There are several historical neighborhoods in Mobile that are tunneled under oaks that are draped in Spanish moss. And the Gulf seafood on the causeway on your way to New Orleans coming from Florida is worth the stop.You guys can also eat at Wintzell`s on Dauphin Street in downtown Mobile.It is only about 5 or 6 blocks from I-10.If y'all decide to stop at the USS Alabama on the causeway then I would recommend an air boat cruise on the delta.There are 1,000 year old Indian mounds on the delta.

Welcome to Alabama !

Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
bluebeard - if the OP goes to visit Helen Keller's house, then the coon dog cemetary is fairly close, plus they could pick up the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway to Franklin.

Perdido Key, part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, offers primitive camping on the beach at the mouth of Pensacola Bay (with some amenities). However, the campground is a hike - over sand. The park is a few miles east of the Florabama.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
East of H'ville is also Grants Cavern, home to the largest frozen waterfall. I liked the shark's tooth in the top of the cave a mile down.

There is also Our lady of Angels in Hanceville off of I65.
Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Beautiful church and monestary

Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
bluebeard - if the OP goes to visit Helen Keller's house, then the coon dog cemetary is fairly close, plus they could pick up the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway to Franklin.
Hahaah. For a minute there I thought you said Corn Dog Cemetery.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Wow. Alabama is underrated. or at least under reported. I will take some time to digest this while looking at a map so we can make plans. Thank you. You are all very helpful.

I still have to have a sit down with calenders (cell phones) and figure out who can go when.

The spring break idea probably will not work out for us. One son will be at training camp for crew, a daughter will be working. We never can take everyone, but if we get two or three out, then it is not worth going at that time.

It gets fairly humid in Michigan, but not usually very hot. When it is hot an humid, the only problems are sleeping or moving. As long as you sit still and do not move and do not need to sleep, you will not have your soul sucked out I think. I will go google Ave Maria canyon

Thanks again

Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wow. Alabama is underrated. or at least under reported. I will take some time to digest this while looking at a map so we can make plans. Thank you. You are all very helpful.

I still have to have a sit down with calenders (cell phones) and figure out who can go when.

The spring break idea probably will not work out for us. One son will be at training camp for crew, a daughter will be working. We never can take everyone, but if we get two or three out, then it is not worth going at that time.

It gets fairly humid in Michigan, but not usually very hot. When it is hot an humid, the only problems are sleeping or moving. As long as you sit still and do not move and do not need to sleep, you will not have your soul sucked out I think. I will go google Ave Maria canyon

Thanks again
Your welcome. But it's Ave Maria Grotto, not canyon. Good luck, and feel free to come back.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
When you rough out an itinerary, let us know - there may be some festivals or events to interest you.

For example, the Coon Dog Cemetery has a Labor Day celebration with music, food, and a liar's contest...

Key Underwood Coon Dog Memorial Graveyard - Cemetery

Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 PM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Alabama does have a canyon thou ,lol.The canyon may be a little off your path but it is Little River Canyon.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM

231 posts, read 595,348 times
Default what you got Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I will have to find dates. We cannot miss the possum festival. Does possum taste like chicken?
Sorry, but it doesn't taste anything like Chicken-it tastes like--well anyway, I actually ate a bite as a kid-my Grandmother put some on my plate and told me it was Duck-she was a mean old woman. Oh, in my first post I forgot the Footwashing at Faunsdale--a must attend event,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama